spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nyc fios 123

@foxnews.com

[TIVO] FIOS NYC, TIVO and Comedy Central Problems

So i have a Tivo HD Xl and FIOS in NYC. All my channels work fine and I have never had any issues in many years. But recently my recordings on comedy central (ch 690 in NYC) have become unwatchable. Lots of pixellation. Then this week the Tivo can't even get a signal on channel 690 so all i get is black. of course every other channel works fine. i rebooted, power-cycled the tivo and still the same problem. I contacted FIOS and they tested the signal from their end and could not resolve the problem. They are sending a new cable card in the mail however. Anyone have any ideas why one channel won't work? FIOS said no one in my viewing area was complaining about ch 690....

Thanks in advance

manshow

join:2013-01-23
Washington, DC
you and fios will be wasting your time swapping out cable card. all it does is authorize your tivo for channels. has nothing to do with signal strength or quality. your issue is probably either wiring or tivo tuner. tivo tuner is more problematic and doesnt handle varying signal quality and strengths like a motorola box.

nyc fios 123

@foxnews.com
ok i figured that since i still had no signal after rebooting that cable card wont necessarily help so maybe won't go that route when they do ship the card out - don't need the extra hassle.

But I have never had issues with the tivo tuner and comedy central before this week and the tivo tunes and records every other channel in my lineup with no issues. i have had the HD XL for many years with no problems. i will doublecheck the wiring again but how can i have rock solid signal on all channels execpt one? Maybe I should sched a tech to visit??

Thanks for the quick reply - any other thoughts?

RocklandFios

join:2008-07-24
Nyack, NY
I am recording using a Vulkano and I am experiencing the same problems with Comedy Central lately. All other channels record without issues. I am in the Northern suburbs.

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to nyc fios 123
I am not having any issues at all with Comedy Central in Manhattan. Are you sure it's not a cabling issue inside your home. At a minimum you should unscrew and rescrew the cable connection into your cable card to verify it hasn't come loose. My guess is some sort of wiring or connector issue.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
reply to nyc fios 123
Comedy Central HD and Nick HD both share the 855MHz QAM. Are you also missing channel 752? If you are, you have a coax issue with that frequency.

nyc fios 123

@foxnews.com
i will check NIKHD (ch 752) when i get home but i know that 694 TVGNHD also does not come in. i did not really go through all my HD channels to see how many other channels are gimped yet. But 690 and 694 are completely black. Is 694 TVGNHD also on 855MHz QAM?

I did sched a tech to visit this weekend so will go over all the wiring with him.

Is there a benefit to asking the tech for a new ONT? I have had mine since original install some 7 years ago. Are there better ONTs or will that even help my issue? Is there any reason to swap out the ONT (if a newer one exists if there are no problems with old ONT (assuming the com central problem is coax wiring issue)

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by nyc fios 123 :

Is there a benefit to asking the tech for a new ONT?

There is no reason to ask for a new ONT, with one exception.
If you have a 610 ONT AND you're on a tier with 35 or more up, then yes, the ONT should be replaced with a newer model.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

nyc fios 123

@foxnews.com
believe i upgraded to 75/35 plan a few months ago. i did swap out my router for the rev f (or whatever the newest hardward is with actiontec - the router has a red stripe) but the ONT is old. If i do ask for new ONT will the tech have one in his truck or is this going to be more of an ordeal?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
reply to nyc fios 123
No, TVGNHD isn't turned on yet in NY VHO5...

And 690 and 752 are the only channels in the 855MHz QAM.

nyc fios 123

@foxnews.com
ok well that explains why i am not receiving TVGNHD. I will check 752 tonight. if 752 comes in fine and 690 is still black what do you think the problem is??

and to "More Fber":

how does the ONT affect internet speeds? Why do i need the new one? are there any benefits to new ONT that i will actually experience? Will a new ONT improve my FIOS tv?

Thanks for all the help from everyone

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
Hard to say without knowing what is happening to the other channel that rides that QAM.

knordrw

join:2007-09-07
Bethel Park, PA
kudos:1
reply to nyc fios 123
You can also check the signal levels on that channel in the TiVo diagnostic menus, the option is called DVR Diagnostics. It will show the info for both tuners, just tune to the channel you are having an issue with, and go to the diagnostics screen. You're looking for signal strength (it's a percentage, obviously higher is better) and SNR, which should be in the 34-38db range for a quality no-pixelating picture. For example, I have a TiVo Premiere XL4, and all 4 tuners are currently showing 94 for signal strength, and 37db for SNR, and I have zero problems.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to nyc fios 123
said by nyc fios 123 :

how does the ONT affect internet speeds?

An ONT can limit your upload speed in two ways.
1) The 610 ONT I referred to earlier is limited to an upload speed of 29Mbps. If you're on a tier with an upload speed of 35Mbps, you won't get full upload speed. If you had a 610 ONT AND you upgraded to 35/35 or higher, VZ SHOULD have replaced the ONT.
2) Some ONTs have 100Mbps WAN interfaces. If you have a speed tier greater than 100Mbps, the you need an ONT with a 1Gbps WAN interface. Again, if you upgraded to a 100Mbps or higher tier AND you had a 100Mbps WAN port, VZ should have replaced your ONT.
If you don't meet either of these two cases, the tech is not supposed to replace your ONT unless there is a problem.
said by nyc fios 123 :

Will a new ONT improve my FIOS tv?

No.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

blacksnake

join:2010-02-04
New York, NY
ok this is OP and i checked NIKHD and it is out too. So that means I have a coax issue with 855Hz QAM? So this rules out Tivo and means I have some sort of signal or coax cabling issue? Is this a slam dunk for the tech? Do i need to tell them anything specific other than the obvious?

I checked my ONT but could not find any model number. But my plan is definitely 75/35 and i consistently get speeds of 83/33 when i check on speediest. Can I hit 33 if max speed of the 610 is 29? If i am a bit short does that mean i don't have the right ONT? Frankly I prefer not to touch the ONT if it has nothing to do with the QAM issue as I have had no connectivity or tv issues in forever. Where is model number on the ONT anyway?

Again thanks for the help.

Hooper
Premium
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO
reply to nyc fios 123
I lost a few channels or were unwatchable pixelation just due to a coax cable being wrapped/tied to a romex power line. The crazy thing was that the Verizon STB was able to overcome the interference a LOT better while the Tivo was not. The tuners on the Tivo are a bit more sensitive. If you have more than one outlet, it may be worthwhile checking how the channels come in there.

nyc fios 123

@foxnews.com
so my tech missed our appointment window so i was forced to reschedule. However the situation resolved itself. After 2 weeks of pixelation and then no signal at all, both 690 and 752 now come in fine. I checked DVR diagnostics and got 87 signal strength and 35db for SNR. Does the fact that I am getting such varied results mean anything to any of you? Should I still have VZ come by next friday?