uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

And it looks like my area of NJ will be getting the S26 update in mid-February:

From ComcastTeds
1-03-2013 4:02 PM

... The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

The latest update now for the Monmouth and Ocean County NJ areas:

From ComcastTeds
2-25-2013 11:39 AM

... Monmouth County and Ocean County are currently scheduled for early March pending final internal approvals. Once we get closer to that date I will be sure and confirm that information here. Thanks for your patience.

Looks like continued delays for the S26 deployment in NJ given today's update:

From ComcastTeds
3-6-2013 10:42 AM

... Our schedule in NJ has been impacted by a few weather events and some other business and customer priorities. We continue to work with the local NJ Comcast teams to get this update deployed.

I will be sure and post the confirmed dates here (as I have done all along for each area).

Thanks for your continued patience.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
Not surprised. Starting to think it's a personal vendetta against us lol

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
said by Mike Wolf:

Not surprised. Starting to think it's a personal vendetta against us lol

Perhaps its more to do with the recent weather sitaution in new jersey that is keeping comcast busy.... perhaps...

»www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news···3f4.html

»www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0···ing.html

LeeDeMarco

@comcast.net
Just sounds like blaming the weather for the lack of progress, there has been plenty of time since the beginning of February to roll out a software update between storms. Comcast just keeps "loaning out" their people for out of state projects instead of completing their tasks at home. What they could do is pool resources together from unaffected areas like the West coast or areas already upgraded, that way projects actually get completed.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to The Q
I doubt that's the real reason.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
FYI - The latest status for the S26 update deployment:

From ComcastTeds
3-22-2013 2:11 PM

... We had initially anticipated that all impacted locations would be complete by the end of March 2013. We are now at 44% complete. We obviously aren’t going to make the end of March timeline for all locations as I initially communicated and for that I apologize.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we knew and communicated that a few locations were moving into April. That will now be the case for the majority of the remainder of our locations.

As areas get confirmed, we will certainly list them here.

For NJ, we have Monmouth and Ocean Counties currently scheduled for April 9. The remainder of NJ - Cherry Hill and vicinity - are currently scheduled for April 16.

Those are not confirmed dates but scheduled dates. As we get closer to those dates, we will evaluate the current situation in each area (as we always do) and get alignment with our local teams on the best timing for our customers (and the business) before moving ahead.

Thanks again for your continued patience and understanding. We will get these updates out to the remainder of our locations as quickly as reasonably possible.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Seems to be due to them not wanting to screw up the nationwide watchaton »corporate.comcast.com/comcast-vo···all-free

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
Here's the latest info on the S26 update deployment for Monmouth and Ocean counties in NJ:

From ComcastTeds
4-5-2013 11:59 AM

SCHEDULE UPDATE

Customers in the areas listed below are currently scheduled to get the referenced on-screen guide updates and new features next week.

NEW JERSEY

Allenhurst, Atlantic Highlands, Barnegat, Bay Head, Beachwood, Berkeley, Brick, Brick Township, Bricktown, Cedar Bonnet Island, Clearbrook, Concordia, Cranbury, Crestwood, Deal, Dover, Dover Township, Eagleswood, East Brunswick, East Windsor, Eatontown, Fair Haven, Fort Monmouth, Freehold, Greenbriar, Harvey Cedars, Hazlet, Helmetta, Highlands, Hightstown, Holmdel, Island Heights, Jamesburg, Lacey Township, Lakehurst, Little Egg Harbor, Little Silver, Loch Arbour, Long Beach Township, Long Branch, Manchester, Mantoloking, Middletown, Monmouth Beach. Monroe, Ocean Gate, Ocean Township, Oceanport, Pine Beach, Pine Hurst Estates, Plainsboro, Point Pleasant, Point Pleasant Beach, Red Bank, Roosevelt, Rossmore, Rumson, Sea Bright, Ship Bottom, Shrewsbury Borough, South Brunswick, South Toms River, Spotswood, Stafford Township, Surf City, Tinton Falls, Toms River, Tuckerton, Twin Rivers, West Long Branch, West Windsor, Whiting.

Details on the new features available are detailed in the initial post in this thread. Additional information can be found at »www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. All locations are expected to be completed in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.

mountlaurel

@army.mil
"MikeWolf" I'm sorry if I asked this before but is this Cable Card firmware update to fix the "Momentary Black Screen" and "Channels Not Authorized" message when channels should be Authorized or be available? I have TIVO Premiere on the Garden State, NJ system and this problem is very annoying. Thanks. I believe next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) is our day.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
said by mountlaurel :

"MikeWolf" I'm sorry if I asked this before but is this Cable Card firmware update to fix the "Momentary Black Screen" and "Channels Not Authorized" message when channels should be Authorized or be available? I have TIVO Premiere on the Garden State, NJ system and this problem is very annoying. Thanks. I believe next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) is our day.

Since you're a TiVo user, you should have posted in the TiVo thread here:
»Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand
In the post I linked to Mike said that Comcast's official solution is to give you a newer CableCARD the PKM801 (there is also an PKM802, but I don't know if Comcast is using them)

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to mountlaurel
said by mountlaurel :

Correct. As per the release bulletin for firmware version 1.5.2.3001 which mentions a few reasons for the black screen, they are noted as being fixed. »www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/a···3001.pdf

Lately I haven't been experiencing any black screens or unauthorized messages prior to the new firmware, but if after the firmware it still occurs, I'll let you know.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to SpHeRe31459
Actually he is mentioning an issue separate from the Xfinity On Demand topic. There has been an issue with Cisco cablecards in both customer owned equipment such as Moxi and TiVo and HTPC's and in leased equipment such as the Cisco RNG series boxes since 2010-2011 where after a certain number of channel changes or literally doing nothing, a "channel not authorized" message with a black screen and no audio appears on screen even though the channel is in fact authorized. I spoke with Ted Hodgins about this on Comcast Voices in 2011 and was told a firmware update from Cisco would be needed to correct this issue which was supposed to be pushed out March 2012 and it never was. I'm going to assume that this is that firmware update.

From what I understand and read the Scientific Atlanta labeled PKM802 is a leased equipment card only (to only be installed in their Cisco set top boxes just like the Cisco labeled PKM803 which replaces it) and isn't for customer owned equipment like the Scientific Atlanta labeled PKM800 and Cisco labeled PKM801 is.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by Mike Wolf:

Actually he is mentioning an issue separate from the Xfinity On Demand topic. There has been an issue with Cisco cablecards in both customer owned equipment such as Moxi and TiVo and HTPC's and in leased equipment such as the Cisco RNG series boxes since 2010-2011 where after a certain number of channel changes or literally doing nothing, a "channel not authorized" message with a black screen and no audio appears on screen even though the channel is in fact authorized. I spoke with Ted Hodgins about this on Comcast Voices in 2011 and was told a firmware update from Cisco would be needed to correct this issue which was supposed to be pushed out March 2012 and it never was. I'm going to assume that this is that firmware update.

From what I understand and read the Scientific Atlanta labeled PKM802 is a leased equipment card only (to only be installed in their Cisco set top boxes just like the Cisco labeled PKM803 which replaces it) and isn't for customer owned equipment like the Scientific Atlanta labeled PKM800 and Cisco labeled PKM801 is.

I've seen this issue almost monthly in the Pace RNG110.
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

mountlaurel

@army.mil
reply to Mike Wolf
"MikeWolf" Did you receive the New Firmware/Upgrade for cable card last night???

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
I can confirm that Monmouth County, NJ received the S26 update overnight.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

I've seen this issue almost monthly in the Pace RNG110.

does comcast use the pace Rng110 in Cisco areas?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
I believe the Pace RNG110 is used only in Comcast's Motorola systems.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

2 edits
reply to mountlaurel
Click for full size
sorry for the poor picture, was taken on a cellphone
Yes we rolled out and received the new cablecard firmware at 3:30am. In fact my picture quality looks better now then ever before. Comcast really must have the "magic touch" this time around.

Yes the S26 software update for the RNG set top equipment was rolled out at 4:42am. We're all very happy so far, and especially like the "Welcome to Xfinity" message and loading screen informing the customer of what is being loaded along with a countdown clock, very snazzy In fact I've noticed both new diagnostic screens and the restoration of lost features such as giving descriptions of hard drive statistics and serial and model numbers/names. All that is left is for Comcast to do is to rollout MPEG4 across the board in place of MPEG2, get them to agree to use Netflix Open Connect SuperHD, and get the rollout for Xfinity On Demand for TiVo in Cisco/SA markets completed.
--

mountlaurel

@army.mil
Thanks for reply back. Hopefully our day (Garden State) is still on for next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) for Cable card update. I did read your post (Mike) about when Comcast adds Ondemand for TIVO that the 800 Model cable cards won't work. I do have a 800 Model card.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf
I didn't have much time to check out all the changes with the S26 update before leaving home this morning, but I did see that the channel guide is now displayed in 4:3 format, instead of being stretched full-screen to 16:9 as it was previously. That change did not bother me that much, maybe because I was prepared for it.

I did find that one of my Cisco RNG150 HD STBs was displaying a message that viewing HD channels was not authorized, while I could still view HD channels just fine on my other RNG150 box. However, my wife reported later on that the HD channels were now displaying OK on that box, so maybe it just experienced an initial boot-up issue after the update first completed.

Now I'll just have to see if this update does fix those erroneous "Not Authorized" screens that I occasionally get when changing channels.

SoJoSteve

@comcast.net
reply to mountlaurel
Ah, wonderful Garden State Cable customers, we live so close to Philly headquarters, yet we are on the worst system (Cisco) and we still can't get caller ID on our telly. Why are we treated like the Cinderellas of the Comcast customers? Oh right, because we CAN'T switch to FIOS and satellite TV sucks! I guess this is our "Gotcha" moment.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to mountlaurel
mountlaurel, between you and me I think Comcast got it wrong with claiming that the 800 won't work. The only difference I've seen so far between the 800 and the 801 aside from the label is the 800 has secure micro software version 3.14 and the 801 has secure micro software version 5.03 which matches the 803 card in the RNG200N which is setup for two way communication with On Demand. The firmware the 801 was running was 1.5.2_F.p.1401 built in 2009 and the firmware the 800 and 803 was running was 1.5.2_F.p.2401 software built in 2010. Now all three are running the same 1.5.2_F.p.3001 firmware so I'm going to assume that they are going to be indistinguishable once in the cablecard slot with the exception of the secure micro software version which may or may not end up being the biggest hang-up.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to telcodad
telcodad, Only time will tell but I'm glad everything is working in the meantime.

mountlaurel

@army.mil

1 edit
reply to Mike Wolf
"MikeWolf" Let us know if you do receive the "Not Authorized" message this week with the New Cable Card software with your TIVO.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to mountlaurel
said by mountlaurel :

Hopefully our day (Garden State) is still on for next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) for Cable card update.

From this item posted yesterday on the Comcast Help and Support Forum, it looks like your area's update is still on schedule for next week:

From ComcastTeds
4-12-2013 3:13 PM

SCHEDULE UPDATE
Customers in the areas listed below are currently scheduled to get the referenced on-screen guide updates and new features next week.

NEW JERSEY
Allentown, Atco, Audubon, Barrington, Bellmawr, Berlin, Birmingham, Blackwood, Blenheim, Bordentown, Browns Mills, Burlington, Camden, Carney’s Point, Cherry Hill, Chesterfield, Clementon, Collingswood, Columbus, Cookstown, Creamridge, Crosswicks, Eastampton Twp., Erial, Fieldsboro, Florence, Fort Dix, Gibbsboro, Glendora, Gloucester City, Gloucester Twp., Haddon Heights, Haddonfield, Hainesport, Hilltop, Hi-Nella, Jacksonville, Jacobstown, Jobstown, Juliustown, Laurel Springs, Lawnside, Lindenwald, Lumbertown, Magnolia, Mansfield, Maple Shade, Marlton, McGuire AFB, Medford, Merchantville, Moorestown, Mount Ephraim, Mount Holly, Mount Laurel, New Egypt, New Lisbon, North Hanover, Oaklyn, Pemberton, Pennsauken, Pine Hill, Pitman, Roebling, Runnemede, Shamong, Sicklerville, Somerdale, Southampton, Stratford, Tabernacle, Trenton, Vincentown, Voorhees, Westmont, Woodlynne, Wrightstown

Details on the new features available are detailed in the initial post in this thread. Additional information can be found at »www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. All locations are expected to be completed in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Lol, telco is like a fact machine! I don't care who owns it but it SUCKS! LOL! Comcast use the Tivo or Cisco guides and give them to us next week, pretty please?!

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by mountlaurel :

Hopefully our day (Garden State) is still on for next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) for Cable card update.

From this item posted yesterday on the Comcast Help and Support Forum, it looks like your area's update is still on schedule for next week:

From ComcastTeds
4-12-2013 3:13 PM
:

Oh well, sorry, but it appears that the update for the Garden State system has just been postponed yet again:

From ComcastTeds
4-15-2013 12:30 PM
:
Apologies to our customers in the NJ areas listed above; our local management team in NJ has postponed the delivery of the referenced update for now due to some higher priority business needs and to address some customer facing issues.

As I get additional updates I will provide them here. Thanks.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I'm stunned and appalled by what just happened.

Jim184

join:2013-04-11
Barnegat, NJ
reply to telcodad
I understand that x1 has it's issues but so dose the menu system that we have right now. But comcast is touting that the x1 system is infinitely better than the menu system we have now and they don't mind telling you that if you don't like your current menu system you can pay for professional installation to get the new x1 system. basically though my beef is the length of time this is taken also when they first roll this out they never mentioned that it would cost you more money to get these features and benefits that they were saying they were going to give you.

mountlaurel

@army.mil
reply to telcodad
I knew it didn't happen when about 6:34 AM this morning I was watching "Action News" (Ch 806) and received the "Black Screen". Then I checked the Software and it stayed the same.