spc
Search similar:

uniqs
darrylr
join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

darrylr

SB6120 supported when ATPIA comes?

It seems like Rogers doesn't really support this on their higher tiers even though its a D3. When moved to ATPIA does that mean we all need to use the official Rogers modem choices?

I would like to get 45/4 or 150/10 with my modem if possible. If TSI will offer 45/7 (like some Rogers folks have) then that would likely be ideal for me.

TSI Andy
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

TSI Andy

Premium Member

Unfortunately we don't have the information if the approved modem listings will be changing.

As of right now they are:

Docsis 3.0
Motorola SB6120 - 1.0.6.1
Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1
SMC D3GN-RES - 1.4.0.40-RES
Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16
Technicolor DCM476 STAC.02.50 HW Ver 2.0
Technicolor DCM476 STAC.02.50 HW Ver 2.1
Huawei MT130U V100R001C01B071 HW Ver 1A

Docsis 2.0
Motorola SB5101N - 2.1.7.0
Motorola SB6120 - 1.0.6.1
Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1
Joohong SL-2810 - 10.2.7
SMC D3GN-RES - 1.4.0.40-RES
Thomson/RCA DCM425 - ST52.08.31
Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16

If our approved modem listing changes I am sure there will be a thread on here about it, but our website will be updated accordingly.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to darrylr

Premium Member

to darrylr
45/4 will work no problem. 150/10 will work, but it might not reach its full speed because it's only 4 channels bonded downstream, and who knows if Rogers will provision them on the 150 tier.

I believe Rogers requires a modem that does 8 channel bonding for their 150/10 service like their Cisco or Hitron. I think they don't support their older SMC gateway which was 4 channels.

My guess that Rogers will require TPIA ISP's a 8x4 modem, like the DCM 475/476 that are currently approved to use on rogers network.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to darrylr

to darrylr
45/3 + SB6120 will work just fine.

45/7 + SB6120 will work just fine.

150/10+ SB6120 should theoretically work (SB6120 has cap of ~170 so with some overhead, right around 150 anyway), but Rogers might require a 8 (down) x 4 (up) bonding modem of which the SB6120 is not. Even if it would work, you really wouldn't want to use it at that speed tier potentially (would love feedback from anyone who has)....I've never done it but I have a feeling you'd run into all the issues you do now by using a D2 on the 28/1 plan for example....
darrylr
Nepean, ON

darrylr

Thanks guys.

I think 45/7 would be better for me than 150/10 anyway. There isn't much I can't do with 28 down so 45 down would be adequate. I just want more upload. I'm too far from the CO for 10 upload DSL so cable is my only option.

I'm just hoping that everyone on TSI isn't going to be forced to buy new modems since I believe most (or maybe not) of us are likely using modems that technically are not supported by rogers. If moving to ATPIA means many folks have to but a new modem they are not likely to be very happy. If it access to higher speeds but having to buy a new modem most people would likely rather keep their modem and have a little slower speed.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by darrylr:

I'm just hoping that everyone on TSI isn't going to be forced to buy new modems since I believe most (or maybe not) of us are likely using modems that technically are not supported by rogers. If moving to ATPIA means many folks have to but a new modem they are not likely to be very happy. If it access to higher speeds but having to buy a new modem most people would likely rather keep their modem and have a little slower speed.

Non-Aggregated or Aggregated POI has no bearing on modem requirements. That only affects TekSavvy's connection within Rogers network.

The only modem-related issues people will face when trying to upgrade speeds, is A: if they have old Docsis 2.0 modem and try to upgrade to newer speeds or B: a DOCSIS 3.0 user who happens to have a 4x4 bonding modem instead of 8x4 that Rogers may require for the 150/10 speed. For the lower speeds 4x4 modems "should" be fine. However we won't know until those tiers officially become available.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by HiVolt:

For the lower speeds 4x4 modems "should" be fine. However we won't know until those tiers officially become available.

And even once they become available, it may take a while for everyone who wishes to upgrade to do so and local congestion issues might only start showing up late in that process.

With $10-20 hikes on higher speed unlimited tiers though, I doubt people will be rushing for upgrades so what I wrote above is somewhat unlikely to happen.

callous99
@medianetwork.com

callous99 to TSI Andy

Anon

to TSI Andy
What's the technical difference between :

DCM 476 ver 2.0 and 2.1?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

For the lower speeds 4x4 modems "should" be fine. However we won't know until those tiers officially become available.

For everything except 150mbit/s, 4x4 modems will certainly be fine.
(but I think you just misspoke)

The open question is, will 4x4 modems work well for 150mbit customers, and will Rogers allow them. We know that 4x4 modems will be stressed to their maximum at 150mbit, so I guess that isn't 'working well'. We also know that Rogers rules about what modems can be used at what speed are more bureaucratic than technical.. Arbitrary, if you like.

For example (for InvalidError's entertainment?): Until April 16th 2013, ATPIA providers can subscribe Docsis 2 modems on 32mbit download accounts. However, TPIA providers are only allowed to subscribe Docsis 2 modems on 18mbit accounts. Rogers themselves typically only subscribe Docsis 2 modems at upto 12mbit even though the "official" rule has often been stated as upto 15. Forget typical and official though, fact is exceptions are made for Rogers direct customers, and some Docsis 2 modems have been subscribed at 25mbit down.

Most likely 4x4 will be allowed on 150mbit/s for a while. Don't be surprised if that is eventually stopped.

And finally, as has been clarified a couple of times with Teksavvy, modem compatibility is up to Rogers. They can decide to stop supporting any modem and/or any firmware at any time. Ya, that is a huge problem for all TPIA and ATPIA companies and customers. A mostly hypothetical problem though.. It really is important to have more reasonable rules, but for regular customers there is no point worrying about it much.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Teddy Boom:

Until April 16th 2013, ATPIA providers can subscribe Docsis 2 modems on 32mbit download accounts. However, TPIA providers are only allowed to subscribe Docsis 2 modems on 18mbit accounts.

If you put yourself in Rogers' shoes: if you make it easy for people to sign up on 20+Mbps tiers with DOC2, they will complain when they cannot hit their maximum speed during peak hours. Make the process painful enough, most will simply go with DOC3 or at least get a warning that they may have performance problems in the process.

With wholesale subscribers, the wholesale ISP is the one who is going to inherit all the performance complaints so if TPIAs want to shoot their CSR/TSRs in the feet by ordering faster service than DOC2 can reliably deliver during peak hours, Rogers has few reasons to stop them from doing so... even more so with CBB where every Mbps ISPs end up buying because of it is ~$20/month more in Rogers' pockets.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to darrylr

Premium Member

to darrylr
said by darrylr:

It seems like Rogers doesn't really support this on their higher tiers even though its a D3. When moved to ATPIA does that mean we all need to use the official Rogers modem choices?

Motorola SB6120 (1.0.6.1) is currently supported by Start and they're using the APOI setup.
said by darrylr:

I would like to get 45/4 or 150/10 with my modem if possible. If TSI will offer 45/7 (like some Rogers folks have) then that would likely be ideal for me.

150/10 is possible with that modem although it will be at it's limit for speed as it's a 4x4 modem, so it's max throughput is 152Mbps (38Mbps * 4).
darrylr
Nepean, ON

darrylr

Thanks for the next info everyone. It sounds like i shouldn't worry for now but maybe i'll need to upgrade if i fork out for 150/10.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

If you put yourself in Rogers' shoes

I can see that you are not entertained Can't you see the humour in that bureaucratic nightmare?

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

AOD to darrylr

Premium Member

to darrylr
If anyone on cable who has a motorolla 8x4 device on the robbers network if you go on 150/10 let me know how that works out
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by AOD:

If anyone on cable who has a motorolla 8x4 device on the robbers network if you go on 150/10 let me know how that works out

According to a inside source at rogers there are 7 motorola 8X4 modems on rogers right now, and as the rogers forum indicate there aren't any issues with them. And I'm in the process of getting a SB6180 to get rid of the hitron (I don't like the fact that you can't check signal stats while in bridge mode, otherwise hitron is a good modem). Rogers network has always been motorola friendly, as long as its 8X4 there shouldn't be any issue with 150/10.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

I just can't wait til we can legally use SB6141's then I'll start shoppin round for a pair of them. I'm just not all that stoked to end up with a Thompson.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by TwiztedZero:

I just can't wait til we can legally use SB6141's then I'll start shoppin round for a pair of them. I'm just not all that stoked to end up with a Thompson.

Hey, thanks for that link, it seems the SB6141 is better than the SB6180, I will get the SB6141 instead. I thought the Broadcom chipset was the better one since it had higher model number; 6180 (broadcom) as opposed to 6141 (intel); seems its the other way around lower model is the better one. Anyway, thanks for the link mate.