join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit

NAS Space Problem

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi, I have setup a RAID system containing 6x 140 GB drive in a Hardware RAID configuration, I'm wondering where all of my space went however It says i'm using 50 GB but for what?
Latest Version of NAS4Free running on a Dell PowerEdge 2850 Server, with 16GB RAM Dual 2.8Ghz
Help me please
Thanks

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

It appears that the "used" space was for the installation of the NAS4free OS. You still have 608 GB of free space on the drive on the volume /mnt/GCCFILESRV

I'm assuming that your raid is actually a raid 5 setup, which will use 5 disks for actual storage and 1 for parity, which when added up and converted from disk makers 1000 bytes in a GB to the 1024 bytes in the real world equals ~683 GB total.

What were you expecting to see?

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

You know that sounds aboutright. It is RAID 5 as there are 6 drives in there but one isn't used as it is for parity but 50 GB How does that even fit usually that requires a DVD?
Have you used NAS 4 Free before?

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to IowaMan

I've not used NAS4free myself, so I can't help there. This OS is using the ZFS file system though, which is totally different to most other file systems. I suggest you head over to their forums and documentation for more specific assistance.

annoyingrob

join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB
reply to IowaMan

Install »windirstat.info/ and search for yourself.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

said by annoyingrob:

Install »windirstat.info/ and search for yourself.

i was going to recommend that program, as well.

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

I don't think this utility will work for his device, cause it isn't using an NTFS or FAT based format/file system.

annoyingrob

join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB

said by aguen:

I don't think this utility will work for his device, cause it isn't using an NTFS or FAT based format/file system.

The screenshot shows an NTFS file system

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

exactly. that program should see the z: drive and he should be able to scan it.