how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

switcher7

join:2002-04-25
Atlanta, GA

Uverse with alarm monitoring

I will be having Uverse with Voip installed soon. I currently have a home alarm system (monitored by protection 1 via standard land line) that utilizes the Ademco vista 20se alarm panel.
My question is: Has anyone had Uverse installed with Voip who also has a monitored alarm system using the Ademco vista 20se panel (or similar panel)? If so, were you able to continue using the monitoring service via Voip, and what re-wiring was necessary to make it work?
Thanks for any help
Switcher

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I can't say what panel I currently own, but yes I had problems with monitoring using UVerse. My alarm company had to try a couple of different modes on the panel to get it to work. Even then he said it wouldn't be 100% reliable. Someone could just as easily cut the phone line outside. I ended up going cellular.
If my UVerse connection hiccuped for whatever reason, I'd get beeps from my alarm pad. Only had that happen a couple times though.
Probably not the answer you're looking for.
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

vrette
Premium
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL
reply to switcher7

I had the same problem. Even though at&t and ADT said that they would work together, they didn't. I also ended up going cellular.
--
Chairman of the Bored...

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to switcher7

Check with your alarm company, officially, if it is compatible with U-Voice VoIP

I would recommend keeping the POTS line with the alarm. That way your DT is NOT dependent on the broadband link from AT&T, the modem from AT&T, and local power. If you choose this, call into AT&T Sales and kindly ask to cancel the U-Verse Voice porting process, and you would like to keep your POTS for alarm purposes. You can also tell the technician on install day you need to keep POTS and he can have the VoIP removed (tell him/her first thing upon arrival or when he/she precalls before arrival)

If you call into sales, depending what other U-Verse products ordered (IPTV, HSI) there may be POTS "bundle" options available -- the price point may not be as stellar as VoIP, but POTS is still the most reliable. I do put "bundle" in quotes because while the POTS + U-Verse can get bundle discounts, the services get billed on separate bills

Another option would be to go ahead with the U-Verse + VoIP option, and get a no-frills basic local calling only POTS line dedicated to the alarm. I assume the alarm dials out to either a local number or a toll free 800/888/877/866/855/etc number

And other options include asking the alarm company if Cellular and/or IP/Internet monitoring are available. Cellular works as long as the tower is live & the panel gets a good cell signal. IP/Internet monitoring has many of the same issues as VoIP monitoring, requiring the broadband signal, modem, and local power, but it does not require line seizure wiring, and it also allows the alarm system to be more actively monitored by the alarm company (POTS/VoIP systems are only in contact with the alarm company when they seize the phone line & dial out)

switcher7

Atlanta, GA

Thanks for the replies from all of you. I appreciate it. At this point I am convinced that alarm monitoring with Voip is not the way to go. Not sure at his point if I will go with cellular or a basic Pots line. Each seem to have advantages and disadvantages.
Thanks again for the input.
Switcher

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
join:1999-12-20
Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to switcher7

No doubt POTS is best. However, FWIW, we've had UVerse VoIP for almost three years and experienced no ADT monitoring issues. I test once every month or so (verifying via web portal) and at times by contacting the monitoring center for verification with their personnel.

askinder

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO
reply to switcher7

Protection 1 will general work over uverse. If you have concerns, call the monitoring center 1-800-438-4357. Pro 1 actually has special cellular offers for customer's that are using VOIP.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to ILpt4U

I've setup a Vista 20 with U-verse VOIP.

With that said I wouldn't trust a single hardwired connection. Internet primary, cellular backup is the way to go.
--
PRescott7-2097

switcher7

Atlanta, GA

Thanks a lot to all of you for the additional input. I will probably wait for the uverse install and see if monitoring works on Voip for me. At that point I might get cellular anyway just for more reliability.
Thanks again.
Switcher