spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

themafia_69

join:2003-08-04

[Internet] Fibe Speed increases when not watching tv?

Hi Everyone, I just signed up for Fibe. My building has a special where I get 25/10 with unlimited usage included in the 53$ price. The sales guy was telling me that when I am not watching TV my internet should speed up to around the speeds of the 50/10 mbps package. Is this true or was he just saying stuff to make me sign up?
Trying to delete the post in the bell direct forum

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

Yes there will be a speed increase, but not to 50 Mb/s.

themafia_69

Any clue to around what speed? He said similar, so it's probably not 50, but I just wanted to get an idea.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

I'd expect around 35-40 Mb/s.

themafia_69

Amazing. I'd be really happy with that. Thanks for you help.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to themafia_69

Hmmm, if you get a 25/10 package... then you shouldn't get faster speed then 25/10.

It wouldn't be fair for people who pay 50/10...

themafia_69

Yeah, but if you have Fibe TV, the TV is over IP which uses bandwidth so they give you more to compensate for it.

kovy

said by themafia_69:

Yeah, but if you have Fibe TV, the TV is over IP which uses bandwidth so they give you more to compensate for it.

Yes, but they can still limit your Internet speed with your user ID.

Your profile for Internet+TV may be around 40mbps, so when you watch TV your internet won't be affected. But your speed for Internet should not go beyond what you pay when you're not using TV.

If you do get faster speed when TV is off, then they have made a mistake and you're lucky.

themafia_69

I'm getting it installed next month so we will know if it's a normal thing. Maybe it's something specific to my building.

kovy

said by themafia_69:

I'm getting it installed next month so we will know if it's a normal thing. Maybe it's something specific to my building.

Well if you want a official answer, you can also post in the direct forum.

Before people had faster speed when FibeTv was new... but now they have set "speed policies". So the only way you'd get faster speed if is someone didn't set it.

themafia_69

Yeah, I did post in the direct forum. We will see how it goes.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to kovy

said by kovy:

said by themafia_69:

Yes, but they can still limit your Internet speed with your user ID.

Your profile for Internet+TV may be around 40mbps, so when you watch TV your internet won't be affected. But your speed for Internet should not go beyond what you pay when you're not using TV.

If you do get faster speed when TV is off, then they have made a mistake and you're lucky.

I can confirm this. For people with TV and 25/10 internet we set the sync rate for 37 or 45 mb/s - which ever the line can handle.

Generally speaking, people that have a higher sync rate than the internet package they pay for will have their internet speed governed further upstream. Its called the BRAS speed policy and is applied to all traffic on the 35 VLAN of your dsl connection.

Infact BRAS is not specific to DSL. It's also used in FTTH.

In a scenario where you can download at higher rate than the package your paying for , either the BRAS is malfunctioning or not configured correctly for your service.

it's important to note that when FibeTV first came out, BRAS speed policies didn't exist, FibeTV customers were able to download at the raw sync rate. --That is no longer the case.

The rep at your building may be working with 'out dated' knowledge or mindset.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

Bellmtl

join:2006-11-01
kudos:2

Great explanation there...

The 25/10 package is provisioned at 35 or 45Mb IP (37 or 48 Sync profiles). The BRAS policy should always be set at 25, thus you'll never get more than 25 as that's what you've paid for.

Only way to get 50/10 is to qualify for the Fibe TV 50/10 product which is provisioned at 65/10 IP (or 72 sync). That's a 7330 specific product.

kovy

reply to themafia_69

Well it's more applied to the user ID then anything else.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to themafia_69

Hey Kovy.

I know your a tester and sometimes can be more informed in some areas than us. I'm not entirely certain the speed is governed by the B1 id.

I can say that I have experimented with a customers line that has a BRAS speed policy applied and no matter what User ID I establish the pppoe session with, the speed still ends up being governed to whats applied to the SLAM within Access Care (webcare).

Of course, like any profession or technology, what we are told will happen isn't always what ends up happening in the real world.

Just thought I'd throw those 2 cents at ya.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

kovy

said by urbang33k:

Hey Kovy.

I know your a tester and sometimes can be more informed in some areas than us. I'm not entirely certain the speed is governed by the B1 id.

I can say that I have experimented with a customers line that has a BRAS speed policy applied and no matter what User ID I establish the pppoe session with, the speed still ends up being governed to whats applied to the SLAM within Access Care (webcare).

Of course, like any profession or technology, what we are told will happen isn't always what ends up happening in the real world.

Just thought I'd throw those 2 cents at ya.

Yes, there's the applied to the SLAM (profile) and one applied which seems to correlate with user ID (speed policy)... there's 2 settings in webcare.

I don't have IPTV, but hearing what people are saying... seems to be the case.