share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to DrDrew

Re: How to change my IP Address?

It may have changed for OTWC as I had to do this when I got this router (my first and only router). That was in November 2003 and back then TWC didn't want you to have a router and would charge $10 a month for it if they knew. I had just gotten a second computer and wanted to have both connected. So, you had to hide the router if they came out and you had to use a direct connection to the modem if you had to call them with a problem. (Even after OTWC allowed routers without an extra monthly charge, they required a direct connection to the modem when you called with a problem and that went on quite a few years). Since OTWC leases modems now that are gateways with wireless routers, I suppose it has probably all changed and I wouldn't know since I still have my original router.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

Unplugging and waiting for a new IP can take weeks in many areas.

This.

Bucolic

@rr.com
reply to Quickguide01
TWC has never seen my computer's NIC. When I self-installed Internet, I already had my router hooked to my computer, so TWC recognized only my router. I figure I can change IP's by unplugging from this router, and hooking up an old router for a few minutes, then putting my main router back. I can do that every few days if I want, and hopefully that will give me a new IP each time. Haven't tried it yet but will see. It would be like toggling between 2 routers whenever I want a new IP.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Bucolic :

TWC has never seen my computer's NIC. When I self-installed Internet, I already had my router hooked to my computer, so TWC recognized only my router. I figure I can change IP's by unplugging from this router, and hooking up an old router for a few minutes, then putting my main router back. I can do that every few days if I want, and hopefully that will give me a new IP each time. Haven't tried it yet but will see. It would be like toggling between 2 routers whenever I want a new IP.

As I recall from playing with Charter, put the old hardware back, get the old IP address back. I didn't have a few days to mess with it, but it will depend on the lease time. On a seven day lease, the device begins requesting renewal at three and a half days; and renews with the same IP address. It could take at least seven days of disconnect for the TWIS DHCP server to release the assigned IP address back to the pool, and reassign it to another user.

So, yeah, switch between the two routers; but leave the second router in place for a couple of weeks, not a couple of minutes.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
"As I recall from playing with Charter, put the old hardware back, get the old IP address back."

Correct, this is what will happen.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson