pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Airport express to replace extreme and extreme as extender

Hi,

I currently have a fairly old Airport Extreme (not sure which generation, but I think the 1st to support 802.11n, perhaps the 2nd).

I use it currently as a WAP only and was looking to extend my 802.11n network upstairs.

Does anyone know how well this would work if I bought an Airport Express to replace the old Extreme, them move the Extreme upstairs to extend the new network created by the Express? Does the Express allow extension?

The problem I'm having right now is that my WD live tv (802.11g only) does not handle 1080p content - it buffers way too much. So I'm hoping by extending the 802.11n network I can then plug the WD live into the airport extreme and that the bridged 802.11n connection will be high enough bandwidth through a floor and a wall to handle 1080p.

Thoughts?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
As long as you get one of the new Airport Expresses it should be fine. The older ones only support a single band at a time and 10 wireless clients.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
Thanks, it's working great! I'm seeing ~7-8 MB/s over the shared wifi network, which is plenty for streaming 1080p on my WD live upstairs now! Well-spent $99
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Great when everything plays nice together. Good luck!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to pflog
Yeah I have a Time Capsule (3rd gen) and just bought a refurb Airport Express to extend the network downstairs and to the back yard... works great...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to pflog
Works great ...