how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

travelingone

join:2003-06-20
Leander, TX

Considering Exede

With our new location in central Tx. in the country, we are considering Exede. At our old location we had Time Warner and used a tmobile router to share the Internet on 2 PCs and cell phones. The speed is around 4.6 mbps download and just under 1 mbps upload lately.

Time Warner is available a mile away at the new place but not at the homestead, and they gave no ETA.
Seems Exede is our best bet at the moment if they can get the install done right as I've read and their modem doesn't go batty. Not crazy about a contract, but could at least get out of it for a fee if something better comes along. If I need to download large files, can do it during their free zone time daily. Have read of Hughes and Exede seems to offer more in the way of speed and service and can start using the free zone at midnight instead of 1 am.
Have considered wireless options but none seems to work there from their maps.

Tmobile is barely 1g there now. Am looking into seeing if an antenna can boost it any. Would be great if we could bump it up to 4g.

Wife and I usually have 20 tabs open in our browser, do some web design work, and occasionally watch youtube short videos and download movies from Amazon (course, that's not required).

Have read of NetBalancer and TrafficShaper to manage the bandwidth better on satellite plans that limit your bandwidth.

Any other suggestions on how to get the best speed/plan?

RandyH

join:2013-02-03
Decorah, IA
Reviews:
·America Online
·WildBlue

If you Can get wireless I would go that route,but if not Exede may work out for you,Its expensive service and for me anyway has been good for everyday web surfing but keep in mind it Can be fast and eat up alot of bandwidth if you do utube and that kind of stuff.
I just have the low tier 10 gig package so 333 megs a day goes pretty fast.

.If I had another option besides dial up I would seek it out though.Just a thought though in some parts of the country you can get a reduced rate if you qualify under the Govs recovery act.Strings attached to that also though.
Other people in here can help you out with any questions..

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to travelingone

If you are only a mile a way from Time Warner, perhaps you can get DSL? As long as it is 3Mbps or over, I would give serious consideration to subscribing to that over Exede. It would be cheaper too and possibly available with a shorter contract or no contract.

VictorJ

join:2013-03-01
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
reply to travelingone

Exede has been decent for me, you have to limit almost everything but browsing to LNFZ though, which is garbage, but it depends on your plan and what you're mostly using it for. I average 2.3.5 down and 1-1.7 up, thus far, have only had them for about a week or so. Not a fan of the contract either, and I'm almost certain my speed will go down eventually, but on a cloudy day I get at least 1.5 down. If there aren't many people on the satellite you get connected to, then you should be fine, otherwise I wouldn't risk it. There's almost no one on Exede in my area (everyone has either Hughes for those that can't get proper broadband, or they can get DSL), which might explain my good speeds.

Exede Nick

join:2012-10-18
Davenport, IA
reply to travelingone

If you have any questions regarding the Exede service either before, during, or after installation, please let us know. We're happy to help resolve any concerns you might have. Just send us a quick email to exedelistens@viasat.com. We'll get back to you as soon as we can, always within 24 hours.

RandyH

Decorah, IA

Is that 24 hrs a guarantee?

RandyH

Decorah, IA
reply to Exede Nick

Nick sent a email to that address 2 days ago and no response.

Exede Nick

join:2012-10-18
Davenport, IA

Randy, all of the emails sent to exedelistens@viasat.com should be acknowledged and have a follow-up started within 24 hours. I do have an escalation from the email that I believe is from you. It was forwarded to our wholesale partner that your service is through. Since the account is not directly through ViaSat, we do not have access to any information in it. I apologize if you were not notified upon the escalating of this email, you should have been. Your service provider will be advised of the issue and will follow-up with information they have to resolve the concern.

RandyH

Decorah, IA

Thanks Nick for trying.

wh7qq

join:2012-06-12
Reviews:
·WildBlue

@travelingone:

Try to find other neighbors in your area who are using Exede. Some Exede providers do a better job than others and some areas are better served. It ranges from blissfully happy to hatred and discontent.
I land in the "happy" camp (and I have no connection to WB/Exede btw). My download speeds are consistently way over 12 Mbps and the service has been quite dependable. I am on a Dish/Exede plan that has a 10G cap and a 10G "bonus" period from 2-8 AM that I rarely use. I don't even try to do movies and never game online. My location is in the middle of Hawaii.
Go to the WB/Exede forum and post a question there, including your postal code/state/county info and see what you get back. Same on this forum.

Tyro

join:2013-03-28
Columbus, IN
reply to Exede Nick

Excede Nick: I love knowing this, as I am going to switch from HN to Exede this week. Do you happen to recommend a great router that works especially well with your service? Thanks.