spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jeraldsib

join:2013-03-02
Yellowknife, NT

Noobie question: Routing a DID to another SIP server?

As per the title, how can I route the call traffic from a DID number to a different server that is much closer to me?

For example, I am in my local calling area. The nearest SIP provider is in the next calling area over, but doesn't provide DID's in my area. Another DID provider does, but is it far from me.

How can I/(should I even bother) make this work?

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

As long as things are working alright I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think this makes much of a difference in most cases.

jeraldsib

join:2013-03-02
Yellowknife, NT

I haven't got anything really going at the moment. I have spent a few days trying to learn more about VoIP, and to come up with a solution that would be permanent, inexpensive, and low latency. most people here are getting pings in the 40 to 60ms time, so I think they say "It doesn't matter too much". I am lucky to get pings at 90ms, usually about 120ms. So if I can get that down to a more reasonoable level, I will do so. Anyhow, regarding my first post, is this possible, and if so, how would I do it?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to jeraldsib

Check if you can transfer your DID form one provider to another.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia
reply to jeraldsib

said by jeraldsib:

I haven't got anything really going at the moment. I have spent a few days trying to learn more about VoIP, and to come up with a solution that would be permanent, inexpensive, and low latency. most people here are getting pings in the 40 to 60ms time, so I think they say "It doesn't matter too much". I am lucky to get pings at 90ms, usually about 120ms. So if I can get that down to a more reasonoable level, I will do so. Anyhow, regarding my first post, is this possible, and if so, how would I do it?

Don't sweat it. For a while I was using an Asterisk instance in London England without any noticeable problem. Anywhere your server is in North America will likely be closer than that.
--
DPC3825 (bridge mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.10.1 on a Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.ms - Localphone - UKDDI

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to jeraldsib

Short of transferring your DID to another provider I don't think there's any way of doing what you want to do. Incoming calls can be picked off the PSTN at several places, not just in the C.O. where the ILEC has its equipment (but that is a common location).

Anyway, once the call is put on the Internet by the CLEC that your VoIP provider uses, voice traffic is usually proxied by that VoIP provider and then sent to you. So, even if your call was put on the wire right next door it would generally have to travel from there to your provider's office and then from there back to you.

Again, that's how most voice data runs. If your VoIP provider doesn't proxy the media (but most do) then your question about transit time to the CO might make a difference. In most cases, though, it won't.