Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Start payments

Thanks. For what it's worth, we were able to get the TD Debit Visa card added to our merchant account and can run those cards now.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

K00L !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

Thanks. For what it's worth, we were able to get the TD Debit Visa card added to our merchant account and can run those cards now.

So when TD forces these new cards on all of their customers at some point (which my branch manager told me will happen), START will be ready.

I wonder how many OTHER Canadian merchants even KNOW about this new scheme to which TD has just made a change of PoS loyalty, and whether and/or how long before the rest of the Canadian 'Big 5' banks embrace what amounts to 'corporate Point-of-Sale treason' ?
Crashrun2003
join:2013-02-10

Crashrun2003 to rocca

to rocca
Merchants have to have the TD Visa Debit card added? That explains why most places dont take it as a Visa. Seems silly to me. Should either work as a Visa normally does, or not at all.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Crashrun2003:

Merchants have to have the TD Visa Debit card added? That explains why most places dont take it as a Visa. Seems silly to me. Should either work as a Visa normally does, or not at all.

I fully agree.

The onus should NOT be on each merchant to call their PoS provider and ask to add it.

But MY experience shows that it IS that way, and START's above example bears this out.

AND, as I posted above somewhere, the bank (and all of their allegedly 'valued' customers) must give up Interac Online (a Canadian company) functionality in order to include VISA Debit (and just GUESS where VISA is based ?) functionality.

WE, the customers were NOT asked nor consulted by the banks about what we though about the idea of them making this change.

Typical - THEY know what's best for US !
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

1 edit

DeViLzzz

Sorry but for the people that can't get a Visa or could not get one at one point this TD Visa Debit card was a life saver. It allowed me to buy so much online that I could not before. It was a great addition by TD Canada Trust and I hate defending them cuz they charge such huge fees for banking if you don't carry certain balances or are not a senior. This Visa Debit card is the one thing they do right for the customer without it costing us anything.

However certain sites haven't caught up yet and it is frustrating like when I was unable to buy my birth certificate documents I needed. It did not accept the TD Visa Debit card as a bank card.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by rocca:

So when TD forces these new cards on all of their customers at some point (which my branch manager told me will happen), START will be ready.

I wonder how many OTHER Canadian merchants even KNOW about this new scheme to which TD has just made a change of PoS loyalty, and whether and/or how long before the rest of the Canadian 'Big 5' banks embrace what amounts to 'corporate Point-of-Sale treason' ?

This only affects online and telephone transactions. Retail POS systems in Canada will not accept Visa Debit. They must be run through as Interac when presented at a retailer.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

....It did not accept the TD Visa Debit card as a bank card.

That's because TD gave up the Interac Online functionality (in their new access cards) as I explained in earlier posts, and the Gov't site needed that.

The BMO Travel Mastercard (a very affordable reloadable prepaid card) does not compromise the functionality of their bank card/accounts in order to be a credit card, as it is a standalone card.

I also have posted before about it (maybe in the current thread, but certainly in others), and that I am quite satisfied with it.

TD and RBC do not offer such cards, and I don't think that CIBC does either, as they did the VISA debit thing before TD did - not sure about Scotiabank.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by Davesnothere:

This only affects online and telephone transactions. Retail POS systems in Canada will not accept Visa Debit. They must be run through as Interac when presented at a retailer.

Correct (so far).