join:2009-05-17
Ontario

1 edit

MissSherlock to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Re: What type of router to purchase?

Hi Guspaz, jobr, LazMan, TypeS, and d4m1r,

Many thanks chaps.

Guspaz, the 16 ft. is a straight run which I can't do without tripping on the cable. If using cable, I'll need go around several corners to reach the TV in the LRm. This will take about 27feet or a 30 foot cable.

The longer HDMI cable are pricey once your past 25 ft. If you have any suggestions as to who has this length at a good price, it would be most appreciated.

I figured the wireless router along with the Apple TV/AirParrot would be cheaper. Quality of a HD 1080p picture, I'm not too sure about!

Most definitely the ASUS RT-N66u as a router.

What's the firmware like on the RT-N66u? Do I need to use Tomato?

Thanks,

P.S. Cables on Sale has a Redmere 30 foot cable for $67.00 CDN plus shipping.

»www.cablesonsale.ca/inde ··· ogy.html

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

hi MissSherlock:

The stock firmware on the RT-N66U should be good enough for you. There's also the "Merlin" firmware:
»www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

Quoting from the "Merlin" website: "The primary goal of this custom firmware is to tweak, fix bugs, and enhance the original Asus firmware. It is NOT meant to become a feature-ladden alternative - for that look at existing solutions, such as Tomato or DD-WRT, both offering a wealth of additional features."

More discussion about the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on the SmallNetBuilder forums:
»forums.smallnetbuilder.c ··· php?f=42

And some of us prefer Tomato (i prefer the Toastman version). Might be more of a challenge to initially flash Tomato on the RT-N66U. You need to use the Asus Firmware Restoration Utility for that. I got stuck where i initially flashed to Tomato, but then i couldn't access the router's webpage configuration at all ! Researched and found out that i had to do a factory reset after the initial Tomato firmware flash. With the router powered off, press and hold the "reset" button (it's the button nearer to the power jack -- there's another button at the other end of the router (WPS ?) that you don't touch) for 30 seconds. While still having that button pressed down, power on the router (hit the power button) -- wait for another 30 seconds, then release that "reset" button. At least i think that's how it goes (from memory) for resetting the router to factory defaults. Someone correct me if i'm mistaken.

Nice thing about Tomato is that, it's "different", and you have a lot more "QOS" options.