antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Access files on locked, encrypted Android phones in freezer.

»www1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/frost from »boingboing.net/2013/03/06/access···ryp.html

"This is alarming, if true: according to a group of German security researchers at the University of Erlangen, if you put a locked, encrypted Android phone in the freezer for an hour and then quickly reboot it and plug it into a laptop, the memory will retain enough charge to stay decrypted, and can boot up into a custom OS that can recover the keys and boot the phone up with all the files available in the clear. The attack is called FROST: 'Forensic Recovery Of Scrambled Telephones,' and it requires a phone with an unlocked bootloader to work..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
You take it out with a favourite ice cream and decrypt it. Fun attack, not sure how useful but fun

Cudni

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

»www1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/frost from »boingboing.net/2013/03/06/access···ryp.html

"...it requires a phone with an unlocked bootloader to work..."

Cool attack!! However, it also does require a freezer plus a download of their fastboot re-flashing program.

Did you ever wonder how researchers reason their way to such bizarre methods? At first blush, this is certainly not intuitively obvious...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville