Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MissSherlock

MVM

to MissSherlock

Re: What type of router to purchase?

HDMI solutions (30+ feet), prices from Monoprice with shipping to Montreal (as in, I put it in my cart, tax is charged at the post office when you pick up):

Regular 30ft 24AWG HDMI cable (plain-vanilla HDMI cable):
$37.67 USD

Note: there used to be a 26AWG equalized option, seems to be gone now.

RedMere 30ft 28AWG HDMI cable (has special chip in it for thinner cable):
$55.84 USD

HDMI-over-ethernet extender with 2x30ft Cat6:
$39.11 USD

In fact at the same time you may want to throw in a third Cat6 cable ($47.36 USD total) for the AppleTV. The HDMI-over-ethernet extender uses two ethernet cables for the video.

Of the options, the RedMere cable is the simplest (single relatively thin HDMI cable), but the most expensive. The HDMI-over-ethernet extender option has the advantage of using pretty thin and flexible ethernet cables, so they bend well. The 24AWG cable is the cheapest, but it's a thick mother that doesn't bend well.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

Also another option for HDMI cables is Meritline:
»www.meritline.com/hdmi-c ··· 737.aspx

Ships from China, so takes three weeks (but a lot of items if not most ? are free shipping).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by silvercat:

Also another option for HDMI cables is Meritline:
»www.meritline.com/hdmi-c ··· 737.aspx

Ships from China, so takes three weeks (but a lot of items if not most ? are free shipping).

The first links on that page is a 25 foot 30 AWG cable, which is ludicrous. No surprise that the reviews for the item state it doesn't work at 1080p, only lower resolutions. The positive reviews seem to be for a completely different 6-foot cable...

The only 30 foot cable I see there is listed as 28AWG, which is also too thin without some form of active equalization like RedMere...

Suggestion based on what I'm seeing: avoid the cables meritline is selling. The 25-foot 26AWG one they have is probably OK, but it's not long enough if you're looking for 30 feet.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

Good point.