how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DasGoat

join:2013-02-12
Charleston, WV

Searching random IPs on port 80.

This has been a favorite past time of mine. It's always interesting to scan IP blocks and see what the page has to offer. Anyone else do this and have any interesting finds?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

I did something like this when I "lost" my home server. Except it wasn't random IPs, I just scanned a few of my ISP's IP blocks to see which ones had port 80 open, then browsed to each one to find mine.

How did I "lose" my server? It's on a dynamic IP address with a dynamic DNS updater on it. I had misconfigured the updater program so when the dynamic IP changed, the DNS didn't get updated. Of course, this had to happen while I was away on work related travel for 3 weeks. Lesson learned: ALWAYS test a new configuration for proper functionality.

Anyways, I did find it interesting how many router interfaces I came across during the scans. Wonder how many of them had weak or default passwords and the owner has absolutely no idea it's wide open to the internet? I didn't experiment.

DasGoat

Charleston, WV
reply to DasGoat

Hello Taiwan! »122.116.90.81/other/view.exe?use···E5%85%A5

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

view.exe?

Yea, just let me click that right away...

DasGoat

Charleston, WV
reply to DasGoat

The exe is scary... You do know you would have to click run, which you wont.

DasGoat

Charleston, WV
reply to DasGoat

Anyways, that appears to be a restaurant.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to DasGoat

You should break the link so no one accidentally clicks it. No one knows what it really is.

DasGoat

Charleston, WV
reply to DasGoat

Here's another cam. »122.116.96.19/

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to DasGoat

said by DasGoat:

This has been a favorite past time of mine. It's always interesting to scan IP blocks and see what the page has to offer. Anyone else do this and have any interesting finds?

Anyone else do this and have their ISP terminate their service for an AUP violation?

said by My ISP :
Prohibited Uses and Activities

-- access any other person's computer or computer system, network, software, or data without his or her knowledge and consent; breach the security of another user or system; or attempt to circumvent the user authentication or security of any host, network, or account. This includes, but is not limited to, accessing data not intended for you, logging into or making use of a server or account you are not expressly authorized to access, or probing the security of other hosts, networks, or accounts without express permission to do so;

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Expand your moderator at work

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to NetFixer

Re: Searching random IPs on port 80.

said by NetFixer:

said by DasGoat:

Anyone else do this and have their ISP terminate their service for an AUP violation?

Does anyone else get really annoyed at loaded questions?

And no, you have to do more then a bit of port scanning to have your ISP even notice you, and even then I don't think they'd terminate you over it. Merely port scanning isn't exactly trying to compromise a machine.

/M

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to mackey

said by mackey:

said by NetFixer:

said by DasGoat:

Does anyone else get really annoyed at loaded questions?

And no, you have to do more then a bit of port scanning to have your ISP even notice you, and even then I don't think they'd terminate you over it. Merely port scanning isn't exactly trying to compromise a machine.

/M

Does anyone get really annoyed at people who think that they know everything and make assumptions based on pure conjecture?

I have on more than one occasion had to defend myself because of visitors to my »portscan.dcs-net.net site triggering off alarms by both ISP and web hosting providers even though the only scanning was initiated by web site visitors scanning their own connection. I have in fact had to relocate that site because it was considered to be port scanning in violation of the TOS/AUP.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Does anyone get really annoyed at people who think that they know everything and make assumptions based on pure conjecture?

I have on more than one occasion had to defend myself because of visitors to my »portscan.dcs-net.net site triggering off alarms by both ISP and web hosting providers even though the only scanning was initiated by web site visitors scanning their own connection. I have in fact had to relocate that site because it was considered to be port scanning in violation of the TOS/AUP.

Whoa whoa whoa, you need to go take a look in the mirror buddy. You're the one claiming to know everything, including the AUP of a provider even though you don't even know who they are.

Your port scanning service is a completely different activity then what the OP is talking about. Scanning every (or at least a large number) of ports on a single machine is completely different then checking for a single well-known service. Scanning a large number of ports on a single machine is looking for a way to breach the security on that machine. Checking a single well-known port on completely different machines is just checking to see if they're advertising that service to the world.

/M