London, ON

1 edit

rocca

Premium Member

Updated package preview

Click for full size
Without further ado, preview of the changes to take affect March 11th:

- Cable pricing all the same except Cogeco area Pro which goes up $10

- Cable usage on Advanced/Pro down 50GB in exchange for unlimited window added between 2am - 8am (may be extended in the future depending on its success)

- Complete overhaul to the DSL offers and FTTN packages include the dryloop at no extra charge (ie no additional setup/monthly)

- VDSL2 services may take an extra week or two to become generally available (training and modem logistics)

- VDSL2 modems available for rent at $5/mo, still working on purchase pricing

- Grandfathering will apply for all current customers at this time

- Unlimited window between 2am-8am on all cable and DSL packages (does not apply to grandfathered accounts)

- edit: Only downloads count to the usage cap

...we've really worked at minimizing the impact for the vast majority of customers while designing packages that should be sustainable under the new pricing regime.

Please note this is a PREVIEW and the changes above are not in place, nor available by phone, email nor web until the 11th. Our staff have not all been trained on the changes and will not be able to answer any questions about the packages. If you have questions I'm happy to answer here. Thanks.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22

Thanks Rocca
Think I may switch to VDSL 25/10 from my 30/2 (cogeco area) for that sweet sweet 10meg upstream, and higher cap.

With the dryloop being included it seals the deal.

Glad to see though you managed to hold the line on Cogeco up through advanced with only a cap drop.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to rocca

to rocca
hmmmmm....this got me thinking and I will not be switching to the new plans 99.99%.

brassy
join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON

brassy to rocca

to rocca

- Unlimited window between 2am-8am on all cable and DSL packages (does not apply to grandfathered accounts)

huh? So current customers dont get the 2am-8am window?
Guru

Guru

said by brassy:

From the looks of it NO...I would love that though....
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to brassy

to brassy
said by brassy:

You get it if you switch to the new plan. e.g. if you are on Pro and don't switch to "new Pro", you stay at 350 and no unlimited window. If you do, then you drop to 300, but you get the unlimited window.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to brassy

Premium Member

to brassy
said by brassy:

Yes current customers can get it if they move to a current plan. (ie can't combine both the window and the grandfathering)

brassy
Brantford, ON

brassy to MichelR

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

said by brassy:

You get it if you switch to the new plan. e.g. if you are on Pro and don't switch to "new Pro", you stay at 350 and no unlimited window. If you do, then you drop to 300, but you get the unlimited window.

Package Im currently on isnt changing though. Cant see them doing that to Standard users, grandfathering them to an inferior product?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

Yes, exactly.
Guru

Guru to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

This is questioning. Are you planning to cancel grandfathering in the future?
Rawrmageden
join:2013-03-06

Rawrmageden to rocca

to rocca
I'm looking at placing my order this Friday, March 8th. This means I'll be grandfather in on the 60M/2M for $79.99 without unlimited between 2am-8am correct? Or because my install date will be after March 11th will I be on the new plan?
Guru

Guru

said by Rawrmageden:

I'm looking at placing my order this Friday, March 8th. This means I'll be grandfather in on the 60M/2M for $79.99 without unlimited between 2am-8am correct? Or because my install date will be after March 11th will I be on the new plan?

That would be correct as the new plans will go live on March 11.
scubarob
join:2009-09-13
Ajax, ON

scubarob

How about offering an unlimited option upgrade for grandfathered plans ? Seems there would be many takers

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to brassy

Premium Member

to brassy
If the new current package = your current package then it's not grandfathering. Ie, specific example - Standard Cable didn't change, if you're on that you still get what you had plus the window.
coldmantis
join:2005-02-04

coldmantis to rocca

to rocca
I Guess no preview pricing for 150/10?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Guru

Premium Member

to Guru
said by Guru:

This is questioning. Are you planning to cancel grandfathering in the future?

We still have some grandfathered people on 2005 DSL packages, that said I can't promise that grandfathering lasts forever, but I don't have any immediate plans to force people off of it.
rocca

rocca to Rawrmageden

Premium Member

to Rawrmageden
said by Rawrmageden:

You'd get the grandfathered package, however you're welcome to change it after your installation if you prefer the new one.
rocca

rocca to scubarob

Premium Member

to scubarob
said by scubarob:

How about offering an unlimited option upgrade for grandfathered plans ? Seems there would be many takers

Interesting idea, if there is significant demand I can work out what that would cost (ie essentially it's a cost for the extra on-peak capacity vs a cost for the unlimited window)

brassy
Brantford, ON

brassy to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

If the new current package = your current package then it's not grandfathering. Ie, specific example - Standard Cable didn't change, if you're on that you still get what you had plus the window.

cmon, youve dealt with Hell and Red before, you should know that grandfathering can mean anything.

At least that makes more sense now.

I have no problem with 150gb and unlimited 2am-8am with the same price.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to coldmantis

Premium Member

to coldmantis
said by coldmantis:

I Guess no preview pricing for 150/10?

Not yet, we'll be releasing that in April.
scubarob
join:2009-09-13
Ajax, ON

scubarob to brassy

to brassy
For the current grandfathered PRO on RED, does usage translate to DL or DL + UL ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by scubarob:

For the current grandfathered PRO on RED, does usage translate to DL or DL + UL ?

Just download.

ZachSB
@start.ca

ZachSB to rocca

Anon

to rocca
- Cable usage on Advanced/Pro down 50GB in exchange for unlimited window added between 2am - 8am (may be extended in the future depending on its success)

Sounds good to me! I am currently on Advanced Cable Internet in the Red area and will likely switch over as soon as possible. We don't stream or use Netflix much in my household, but I'm a gamer and most of the games I have on Steam are 10-20 GB. Now I can just download those games overnight so it doesn't slow down the connection for the rest of the house.
Guru

Guru to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by scubarob:

Interesting idea, if there is significant demand I can work out what that would cost (ie essentially it's a cost for the extra on-peak capacity vs a cost for the unlimited window)

+1. At extra cost, I am willing to do it but I don't want to change my grandfather package...;) 400gb + off peak would be awesomeeee...I will make sure I download during off peak.
Gered
join:2012-11-09
Toronto, ON

Gered to rocca

to rocca
When the usage tracker is working in Rogers areas, I assume it will take into account the unlimited usage window?

(any update on when the usage tracker on your website is coming for Rogers btw?)

brassy
Brantford, ON

brassy to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by scubarob:

Just download.

you should clarify this in first post then and include all scenarios for the 3 providers, what exactly is included in the quota.. just dl or dl+ul
useless2764
join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

useless2764 to rocca

to rocca
cogeco rates are better then teksavvys for 60 Mbit and overall still from what I can see
DoubleM
join:2004-08-03
Oshawa, ON

DoubleM to rocca

to rocca
Can I switch to the new plans even though I currently have a D2 modem?

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
This looks seriously amazing. Thank you rocca!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to ZachSB

Premium Member

to ZachSB
said by ZachSB :

Sounds good to me! I am currently on Advanced Cable Internet in the Red area and will likely switch over as soon as possible. We don't stream or use Netflix much in my household, but I'm a gamer and most of the games I have on Steam are 10-20 GB. Now I can just download those games overnight so it doesn't slow down the connection for the rest of the house.

Perfect, that's the idea - if people start moving big downloads to off-peak then we can look at expanding that window.

edit: And as you mentioned, it means it doesn't impact the household doing other stuff either so it's win/win.