Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Dones

Re: 4K movies will be over 100 GB each!

Well, it started out with me pointing out that 4K would provide a positive benefit to my home theater, which is a 100" screen viewed from 6 to 8 feet. Every chart and rule-of-thumb I've seen indicates that the maximum perceptible resolution for my setup would be well over 1080p. Personally, I think the max benefit for my setup would be somewhere around 3K.

My computer monitor would also benefit much more so. If your screen is high enough resolution (as in, you can't discern individual pixels), then you should see no visible difference when you enable anti-aliasing. But having been playing through System Shock 2 recently, I can tell you that a 1440p 27" monitor is nowhere near "retina" levels. The jaggies were strong with this one.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by Guspaz:

I can tell you that a 1440p 27" monitor is nowhere near "retina" levels. The jaggies were strong with this one.

Retina resolution is defined as the number of pixels per arcsecond across your field of view. A 10" iPad at 1' from your eyes has the same angular resolution as a 30" 1600p display at 3' which makes them technically indistinguishable assuming similar panel quality and that you aren't near/far-sighted which would naturally give an unfair bias toward one situation over the other.

Also, aliasing is not so much about the eyes' resolution as it is about the brain being wired to detect unnatural/unexpected irregularities. I cannot really see individual pixels along polygon edges at my normal sitting distance but I do notice the distracting shimmering from unblended edges - and these would remain noticeable well beyond Apple's retina resolution on slow moving edges.