share rss forum feed

vue666
Small block Chevys never die
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

Video card upgrade for 3D modeling & rendering

Presently have a Nvidia GTS250 with 1GB memory...
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···ts%20250

The computer is an I5-2500K with 16 gb of DDR3 memory, running Windows 7-64. System drive is an Intel 330 series 240 gb SSD...

I'm considering upgrading the video card to a Nvidia GTX 650 ti with 2 gb of DDR5 memory...

The GTS250 has 128 cuda cores and the GTX 650 ti has 786... However the GTS250 has a 256 bit memory interface and the GTX650 ti is 128 bit.

The GTX650 ti also meets my budget concerns...

I've also looked at ATI/AMD cards but it seems most 3D apps prefer Nvidia... and I'm not sure how cuda cores matches with stream processors ( cuda 1= stream 1)????

Any thoughts?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

What software are you going to use?

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS

e-onsoftware's Vue Complete ver 11, Hexagon 3D, 3DCoat, Blender3D, Wings3D, Curvy3D...

Also Photoshop & ArtRage...

Vue Complete is the most demanding of the 3D apps I use...

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to vue666

(IMO) skip the gaming cards (GTxx-xxx) and go for Quadro cards for better rendering. If the GTX650 is your budget, there are older FX-xx00/1GB sitting at that price range. The Quadro cards are made for the applications your wanting to use.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS

The apps I'm using seem to prefer cuda cores. The "pro" cards at the same price of the gaming cards have much fewer cuda cores... Also their memory interface is inferior to a similar priced game card...

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

But the drivers on the Professional cards are better written than the gaming cards are... The extra $$ you pay for Quadro cards is due to the Time & Money spent on Drivers... The Gaming cards always lag far behind.... (What I've seen)

said by vue666:

The apps I'm using seem to prefer cuda cores. The "pro" cards at the same price of the gaming cards have much fewer cuda cores... Also their memory interface is inferior to a similar priced game card...

--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Also the professional cards have extra features enabled. seems in the past they were just disabled in drivers but now nvidia actually kills off a part of the chip.

Things like ECC memory, higher precision, and some extensions that acad uses
--
»Death Star Petition

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to vue666

From Blender Cycles...

quote:
Which GPU ?
Well results seem to indicate GTX 570-580 seem good cards, but then it all depends on your budget.

One can note also that Quadro cards do not perform that well. But I believe these cards deliver better performances in display.

»oenvoyage.wordpress.com/2012/02/···nalysis/