Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

[NE] Tuning adapter filter

What does the filter do that's in the tuning adapter self install kits? Is it the same thing as the POE filter that is used for the whole dvr and moca filter? so only filter should be needed?

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit

It is a MoCA POE filter, and unless you are using MoCA you do not need it. Not sure it is even necessary if you are using MoCA.

Even the Cox San Diego video engineer had a difficult time explaining the need for the MoCA POE filter at the Tuning Adapter. It is similar to using a MoCA POE filter at the cable modem though.
»www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/thre···#pid2893
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime
TiVo Elite & Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.124, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FA

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

does each tuning adapter need one I will have 2 tuning adapters for 2 Tivo's. I might be switching to moca the wireless is not cutting it for Tivo's streaming.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

"need"... I'm not sure it is really needed, but yes, if you're going to install them install one on each. And don't forget your POE on the tap, if you decide to install MoCA adapters. and a 4th for the cable modem too, for good measure.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

if the modem and ta''s each have one why would the tap need one?

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

MoCA adapters put your entire network out on the coax, all the way to the tap through the coax. So for your security and so your MoCA signals do not interfere with any of your neighbors.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to ajwees41

It's been found some devices don't play well with the extra RF power added by MOCA being input into their receivers. It overloads them, especially if regular cable RF levels are low and the MOCA channel RF levels are several dB higher. The Moto 6120 modems were prone to this, among other. Moto released the 6120 with a built-in MOCA filter to prevent this. It wouldn't surprise me if other devices not designed with MOCA in mind, like DTAs and Tuning Adapters, would have similar issues.

Installing a MOCA POE filter on non-MOCA devices will help prevent this.

Installing a MOCA POE filter on the drop is also required to prevent the MOCA channels from hitting the distribution network, possibly causing similar issues on a wider scale, or sharing your home network with your neighbors.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

"need"... I'm not sure it is really needed, but yes, if you're going to install them install one on each. And don't forget your POE on the tap, if you decide to install MoCA adapters. and a 4th for the cable modem too, for good measure.

why does cox provide them with the TA's if they are only good if you have a moca network or cox's whole home dvr?

Foxbat121

join:2001-04-25
Herndon, VA

Probably because most who ask for TAs and CableCards are those use their own PC as primary DVR and also use MoCA for network connections to other locations in the house (for example using Media Center Extender to watch Live and recorded TV).

I wish I got one of those MoCA POE filter when I got my TA. But currently my MoCA is running on a separate coax line that does not connect to Cox at all.