IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Caps] Streaming SiriusXM on Comcast

I upgraded my SiriusXM subscription to streaming since the car is sitting in the driveway inoperable.

My question is will streaming SiriusXM (audio streaming) take up a lot of bandwidth. I get a warning about heavy data usage when I open the app.

The reason I ask this is that Comcast may reinstate caps and I want to get an estimate on how much data this uses. It will also be helpful to know as I use the heavily capped VZW mobile broadband.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

You should be running some utility that monitors your bandwidth usage while steaming to see what you are consuming in real time.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
I apologize as this is not a direct answer to your question, however, two things to keep in mind is:

1. There are no caps at this time to worry about

2. Even if/when there are, you would get a warning before having to worry about anything.

As far as it taking up a lot of data? I am thinking that not so much, however, do keep in mind that many folks who stream SiriusXM may be doing it from a mobile connection such as LTE, where even that level of data streaming can get expensive.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
FWIW, audio streaming is not really all that bandwidth intensive as say video streaming is.

Mo Bytes
@comcast.net

Mo Bytes to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
If played 24 hours per day, a typical 128 kilobit audio stream would consume approximately 1.28 Gigabytes per day.