how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nineismine

join:2002-06-11
Mesa, AZ

[AZ] Mesa Arizona - Low speed issues

Hi I was emailed to tell me my speeds would be increasing and I have not seen a change. In addition because I have been paying attention I notice that my ping times to websites are pretty inconsistent. I am seeing spikes and occasionally time outs.

Here is my speedtest: I have tried multiple places and even the cox site all results are similar:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2555942574.png

I have a motorola 6120 which has been in service for a year maybe 2.
Here are my modem signals:
»www.dropbox.com/s/xx1ur79gpfu8hm···2258.png

I have one cabled that was installed by cox on a service call about a year ago running from the tap to my modem with no splitters. I do not have cable service.

dougk5
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Phoenix, AZ
I have been seeing 32/2 speeds the past few nights and 32/16 at 8am this morning with my premier plus plan in N. Phoenix. Makes me wonder if the ultimate tier is achievable here.

BTW, a level 1 phone tech told me last night that the email from Cox that we both received was a phishing scam. Didn't look like a fake email to me.

chrisf8657

join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ
reply to nineismine
If you are only seeing 32Mbps MAX, and have a DOCSIS 3 modem, and are on a plan that now gives you more than 32mbps, then you may have the old DOCSIS 2 code on your account that causes this issue.

Contact one of the authorized support reps on here to have the code changed.

That was my issue and it's the same alot of people have had.
--
~~Chris~~

Need a pro computer tech? See my profile for my website - I offer remote support services!

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to nineismine
I'm on premiere with a 6580 (verified i'm on a "docsis 3 code")

can sometimes pull ~60, but as of the last week i've been sitting more like 20.

i've already called CenturyLink and am going back to VDSL, since they can actually deliver the 40/5 here, and i got 39/4 on it before consistently. I'll gladly pay them a bit more for service (and billing) that actually works.

nineismine

Mesa, AZ
might be time for me to do the same. I have been thinking about trying century link for a LONG time.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to nineismine
Glendale, AZ preferred.

liht
Acryllicht

join:2000-07-11
Paradise Valley, AZ
reply to nineismine
bad modem maybe? upgrade to the cisco docsis 3 modem. It'll give you more channels to bond to (granted more channels != more speed) if mesa is capable of it. I have 6 channels off scottsdale and shea.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2557562925.png
--
werd

brad152

Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
my neighbor has whatever cicso garbage cox is selling right now and he's having the same issues. I've never had any issues using motorola modems until i moved into Cox territory, and i refuse to use anything Cisco makes (including those junk Linksys routers)

if they cannot work with a standard properly, then it's just time to find a company who will. I just took my Motorola 6580 back to Ohio and hooked it up to WOW and Time Warner at both my sister's house and it's pulling their ulitmate tier just fine, so it tells me it's something on Cox's network, not the modem.

jeckler

join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ
reply to nineismine
This is what I'm getting right now in Mesa (Higley & Adobe) on Premier

Currently bonded 8/3 on an SB6180 through a WNR3500L (Samknows) router.
Config file 161001_vm2.0_d.cfg
IMO they either screwed up on this speed upgrade, or are geniuses for not making sure those that are capable of running the new speeds got the DOCSIS 3 code. In the speed increase thread, a lot of people said they were able to simply call and get it changed. In the 7 different calls I made over 2 days, not one person knew what I was talking about regarding this mysterious code. CoxTech1 is the one who finally got it straightened out, though I still don't know how exactly. My speed literally doubled though, so I guess I can't be too mad.

nineismine

Mesa, AZ
IM trying to get ahold of someone on this board to see if they can help me.

nhasian

join:2013-03-01
Chandler, AZ

1 recommendation

I'd like to point out that you need to speak to SALES to correct the service code on your account. Tech Support cannot fix the issue. When you call Cox and the automated system asks if you _already_ have service with Cox you have to say NO to reach sales. otherwise you will be routed to support. I spoke with 3 different tech support agents over the past two days and had no idea what I was talking about before finally speaking with the Sales dept who corrected the service code while I was on the phone.

m33crob

join:2013-02-06
Phoenix, AZ
reply to nineismine
Everyone, please stop using speedtest.net, their results are crap. Use the Verizon speed test instead: »speedtest.verizon.com/

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

speedtest is fine. it's the servers you choose.
i have a cisco dpc3010, bonded 8 down 3 up.

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ
reply to brad152
Good for you. Why not call cox and try to work with them instead of complaining on a forum?

firerx

join:2005-01-28
Avondale, AZ
reply to nineismine
yeah, something is wrong with the test servers in Phoenix,. try a different location.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
I think you get routed to California and back into AZ even if you are in AZ using the AZ test servers.

Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30
said by nonymous:

I think you get routed to California and back into AZ even if you are in AZ using the AZ test servers.

Currently, best/closest (network wise) speedtest.net server is the san diego server hosted by scalematrix. They have a direct connect through cox and under 20ms pings.

the tucson login.com server is on cox network also (under 15ms pings) but i've found that for some reason they seemed to be limited somehow (either intentionally or just slow pipe/server speed) because when I was on ultimate and tried it, it seemed to top out at ~100mbps.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77
reply to nineismine
Hi mineismine,

I see you have been having some issues with your speed, I would like to assist you. What I would need to do is bring up the modem and take a look at the signal levels, we can also check for packet loss and any other issues that may be causing connection problems. Could you please email me and my team at coxhelp@cox.com, include a copy of this post, the name & address on the account. I will gladly take a look at this for you so we can get this resolved.
--
-- CoxTech1

brad152

Phoenix, AZ
reply to nickphx
no i just went back to CenturyLink, i get 40/20 at my house now (was 40/5 before), and i got a good promo on it.

I'll just give my money to a company that fixes things (not once have i ever had any issue with CenturyLink/Qwest)

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ
I had centurylink in addition to Cox... They used to have a severe bandwidth contention issue at their main dslams between 5PM and 1AM that would cause insane latency and below 1mbps speeds.. It took them almost a year to fix.

Blank

join:2013-03-12
reply to nineismine
Maybe I missed it, but what speeds are you paying for? Preferred is up to 25mb. I wouldn't see 19mb as a problem. My suggestion would be the same as others, try a new modem.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to Needleinthha
said by Needleinthha:

said by nonymous:

Currently, best/closest (network wise) speedtest.net server is the san diego server hosted by scalematrix. They have a direct connect through cox and under 20ms pings.

the tucson login.com server is on cox network also (under 15ms pings) but i've found that for some reason they seemed to be limited somehow (either intentionally or just slow pipe/server speed) because when I was on ultimate and tried it, it seemed to top out at ~100mbps.

I am Phoenix metro. Just most things seem to route to CA first before coming back. Think I did read the reason for this months back.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to brad152
said by brad152:

no i just went back to CenturyLink, i get 40/20 at my house now (was 40/5 before), and i got a good promo on it.

I'll just give my money to a company that fixes things (not once have i ever had any issue with CenturyLink/Qwest)

Not so long ago I worked for Qwest in Phoenix. Just like Cox they have their solid areas and their very iffy areas. Sure some of it has improved overall in the past years still can depend on where you live and the plant.
I did prefer Cox customer service to Qwest. Hope Centurylink improved that part of Qwest. I know Cox customer service is more friendly than Qwest was and better attitudes. So maybe century made an improvement there.

nineismine

Mesa, AZ
reply to nineismine
I boiled down my whole network to one device attached to my firewall device and discovered that it was my devices fault!!

Rocketnerd

join:2011-11-16
Mesa, AZ
reply to nineismine
Nineismine-

Were you ever able to get your download speed resolved?

I recently upgrade my package from preferred to premier (~two months ago), however, I have not seen ANY increase in download speed. The only "noticeable" difference is that my upload speed increased. I've been running on a D3 modem for just over a year now.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
I am in Scottsdale & have the same issues.