how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gseales

join:2006-02-11
Pewaukee, WI

Modem/Router block as much as a router

Will my DSL modem/router(Dlink DSL-2540B) block all the bad from getting in as much as just a router? Will it be as good of a firewall to bad stuff as a router will?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by gseales:

Will my DSL modem/router(Dlink DSL-2540B) block all the bad from getting in as much as just a router? Will it be as good of a firewall to bad stuff as a router will?

From a quick perusal of the published specs and the user manual, it appears to have a full featured SPI firewall built-in, so it would probably be as good as most residential/soho grade routers. If you want to know if it is as good as or better than some specific firewall/router box, you will need to tell us what firewall/router you wish to compare it with.

The only downside I can see is that it does not appear to offer direct support for IPv6, but if your ISP doesn't offer native IPv6, that would not be relevant.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to gseales
IT will keep out the bad stuff just as much as a stand alone router will.

gseales

join:2006-02-11
Pewaukee, WI
reply to gseales
Thanks. Didn't have a specific one in mind. Was just not sure what to look for in a router as far as them being secure.

What about the difference between a residential class router and an enterprise class router? Is there anything beyond SPI to look for?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by gseales:

Thanks. Didn't have a specific one in mind. Was just not sure what to look for in a router as far as them being secure.

What about the difference between a residential class router and an enterprise class router? Is there anything beyond SPI to look for?

A price tag that won't require a 2nd mortgage?

Seriously, I can't think of too much that could be done with an enterprise class router that the D-Link DSL-2540B can't do for you on a typical residential grade DSL connection. The primary advantage of using an enterprise grade (or even a small business grade) firewall/router would be higher throughput, support for multiple public static IP blocks (including IPv6), the ability to create more (and more complex) firewall rules, and possibly the ability to act as a VPN server. With a typical residential DSL service, none of that would be likely to be applicable (my guess is that your DSL connection will be maxed out long before the D-Link DSL-2540B reaches any sort of capacity limit).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to gseales
said by gseales:

What about the difference between a residential class router and an enterprise class router?

Very good article that covers the basic differences:

What Separates Business Routers From Consumer Routers?

quote:
If you’re in the market for a new router for your small business, you might be tempted by the flashy features, high speeds, and low cost of consumer-oriented routers. The latest models, based on the IEEE 802.11ac standard, look particularly attractive.

But can a consumer router deliver everything your business needs? Is it sufficiently secure? Is it scalable? Does it provide redundant connections to the Internet? If it’s a wireless model, does it provide enough range to cover your entire office?

Should you instead invest in a router that’s specifically designed for the needs of small- to medium-size businesses? What exactly distinguishes a consumer router from a business-class model, anyway? Glad you asked.

--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.