how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LFHC

join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA

upgraded to faster speeds and stats dropped

I upgraded from 1.5mbps and my attenuation was around 33 downstream and 25 upstream and the SNR values were 17 up and down but now after I upgraded my stats are this

Line State : Showtime
Modulation : ADSL2+
________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin : 8.9 12.5 db
Line Attenuation : 44.0 20.2 db
Data Rate : 11776 891 kbps

when the upgrade first went through i was getting 9mbps and about .80mbps down but now its been going around 7-8mbps down It seems like the SNR is pretty low but I want a second opinion on that. Also the stats are the same at the NID new drop from the street to pole but from pole to the house the cable isn't new but probably just a few years old looks like 24 gauge .

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
Are you on a 10mb connection?

Your signals all pass, but the DS SNR is fair.

24 AWG is what is normally used for the drop.

It is possible that the drop from the pole needs to be replaced, but I think if there is an issue it is further up the line.

Speed test vary and are not 100% reliable. Has the speed drop just happen? I would try testing at different sites at different times of the day to see if there is a pattern.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

LFHC

Collinsville, VA
yes I have a 10 meg connection I fixed some weird splices in the NID and that brought the downstream SNR to 9.1. I have done speed tests all through out the day using speedtest.net and shaperprobe all give about the same results a few times i will be in the 9.0 range but mostly like 6-8 I have even had a few at 5meg. I asked the tech where the DSLAM is. this is a new house I have moved into and he said I am actually straight out of the central office.It doesnt seem like its a bandwidth issue being that the problem is pretty much all the time even at like 2-4 am

LFHC

Collinsville, VA
current speed test as of like 2 mins ago

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to LFHC
That is normal when you upgrade your speed. If the SNR is steady, you should be okay, as the modem sync rate is good for a 10mb connection. Since the stats are the same at the NID, their is not anything in your wiring that you can change to make it better.

Don't expect to achieve close to 10mb down, except between 1am and 5am. If you get at least 8mb down during your normal usage time, you are doing well.

LFHC

Collinsville, VA
I can deal with 8 meg but its the 5-6 that is annoying I just wonder if a service call would be any benefit I can see it now sir the tech looked at the lines and there are no problems found please reset your modem every hour.lol

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
North Las Vegas, NV
I would guess you are in a congested or over-sold area. What results do you get from the CL speed test site?
»speedtest.centurylink.net/

Are you using a wired or wireless connection for the speed tests?

Are you using the router in the modem, or do you have a separate router?

LFHC

Collinsville, VA
as of 6:06pm the speed test at centurylink website is 52ms ping 3.38mbps down and .70mbps up thats not good. I am on a wired gigabit LAN connection through a peplink router and gigabit switch.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
North Las Vegas, NV
I would guess that you are in an over-sold area. About the only thing you can do is smile and look at the positive side, it's twice as fast as what you had.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to LFHC
I live rural. I get a consistent 10 down and the 75 up. CL is notoriously stingy with uplink speeds. Ours is a DSL signal that is converted from D-A and then run over copper to the house.

I bought the bundle that includes the digital phone. The phone was a mess once they switched from POTS to faux (advertised) "crystal clear" calls. The 5 uplink would not support the phone. I finally got tired of listening to rhetoric from entry level tech support and contacted my state Commerce Commission. It did not take too long before they switched out the inside line filters, installed a whole house filter, and then raised the uplink to 75. It all boils down to the equipment sitting in the CO and how willing they are to serve their customers. The biggest problem I have is the annoyance of rebooting the modem frequently. The modem is fine; it's their network.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to LFHC
LFHC, Send us your account & contact information and our team can have the line stats reviewed.

»bit.ly/TALKTOUS or TalkToUs@Centurylink.com

Thanks,
Rich
Centurylink Help Team