kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

[Parts Check] Looking For Mobo

I'm starting to think about my next build. I'm not much for overclocking but I do like a stout CPU because I'll usually build about every 4 years for myself. I've settled on this i7 CPU:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 19116501

I do game and I'm wondering about it's ability to render graphics. I know the 4000 is about the best out right now.

Plus I'll add 16 GB RAM:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20231568

I already have everything else. What I need is a mobo. I have a full sized case so size doesn't matter and because of my arthritis in my fingers I prefer a full sized board. It doesn't need all the OC bells and whistles. Just a nice, solid board.

Oh, and if the CPU/GPU doesn't cut it I'll need a slot or two for video cards.

Thoughts?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS

I have the same CPU coupled with an ASUS P8Z77-V PRO. Your Newegg price. I recommend it. It overclocks well, has lots of features to play with and plays nice with the 3770K. I have it paired with Kingston KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX memory. I love the system.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

Octavean to kingdome74

MVM

to kingdome74
If you are just starting to think about your next build, maybe you should consider that the successor to the Intel Ivy Bridge processor you're citing, may well be launched in the second quarter of this year. That would be in the form of an Intel Haswell Core i7 4770(K) with accompanying Z87 chip set (successor of the current Z77 chip set ) possibly as early as the start of June,.....that a scant 3 months away,....

If you need a new system now you don't really have the choice to wait. However if there is time waiting will either net you a more current system for about the same coin or the system you are thinking about now for less.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I'm just starting to think about it. I knew the next chip set was coming out soon but I wasn't sure when. That would not only give me another option but lower the Ivy's cost. Maybe waiting a couple of months may well be the best option.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

rusdi to kingdome74

MVM

to kingdome74
I have the exact board as DKS See Profile, and I love it! It's a rock-solid, bullet-proof board! Started it up first time, and it has never hiccuped or coughed once!!

This is my first board with that UEFI BIOS. It's a snap to set up. VERY intuitive interface.
HIGHLY recommend!
Good luck with your new build!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

I'm just starting to think about it. I knew the next chip set was coming out soon but I wasn't sure when. That would not only give me another option but lower the Ivy's cost. Maybe waiting a couple of months may well be the best option.

Early indications point to an Intel launch debacle similar to Sandy Bridge's degrading SATA controller. Intel has forced vendors to accept flawed chips that will later be corrected in a future stepping version.

»Intel Haswell Platform Faces USB 3.0 Issue: Report
»First glimpse of a Haswell mobo

IF you decide to wait for Haswell, you may have to wait an additional 3-6 months for the USB3 sleep issue to be corrected. Unless you're OK with putting up with having to reopen everything when the PC wakes from sleep.

In your situation, I'd just go for Z77 + the i7-3770K. It's a well established product, great mobo options, and very stable (although it runs a little hot due to sub-par heat spreaders and its OC potential vs. Sandy Bridge is limited). The heat issue shouldn't matter to you, however, so I'd say Ivy Bridge is right for you.

I've built two IB machines with Asrock Z77/Z75 mobos and have been pleased. They are affordable, reliable, and come with a decent feature set. If I was going to buy for myself, I would (sadly) pass on EVGA mobos--I love the company to hell for their product support and support they give the OC market, but their motherboard product line is very underwhelming. Limited feature set, fewer bells and whistles, and higher price points.

This next time around, I plan to give Gigabyte motherboards a spin. Their current Z77 product options are here:

»www.gigabyte.us/products ··· p=2&v=24

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to kingdome74

MVM

to kingdome74
Passing up on proven current boards for an as of yet unreleased new unproven platform is not without some degree of risk.

When I bought my Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard at or near the day of release of Sandy Bridge I eventually RMAed the board due to the recall of the initial P67 chipset release. However it was a relatively painless process and I wouldn't do anything differently now having gone through such an experience,....but that's just me. Although I did wait a little for C2 stepping when I bought my Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3930K / ASUS P9X79 Deluxe platform due to VT-d errata in C1 stepping,....knowing of the problem well in advance,.....

Intel Haswell will use a new LGA1150 socket making a move away from LGA1155. We are hearing of minor issues with the native USB 3.0 on Haswell boards but if I were buying now I would still be more likely to buy Haswell rather then the current crop of Ivy bridge / Z77,.....

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Actually I would be waiting for the price drop on Ivy. I rarely shell out money to be the first with any technology unless there is some overwhelming need.

How are the graphics on the 4000 for gaming? I know Intel says it's great but what are they going to say? It sucks? I have the 2000 on my i3 2100 and renders video well enough but I don't do any gaming on it. Mostly I play WoW but I do play the newer shooter games through their single player parts.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by kingdome74:

How are the graphics on the 4000 for gaming? I know Intel says it's great but what are they going to say? It sucks? I have the 2000 on my i3 2100 and renders video well enough but I don't do any gaming on it. Mostly I play WoW but I do play the newer shooter games through their single player parts.

It's unsuitable. Get a discrete GPU.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

If that's the case then I need to get a non-CPU/GPU i7/mobo combo with vid card... any recommendations? Let's cap it at around $500 or so.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

what is a non-CPU/GPU?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

One's that don't have a graphics processor built in them? Like this:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 19115229

Maybe I'm stating it wrong but that's how I saw it listed on another site.

LOL, now I get it. I said non-CPU/GPU as in there was no computer processor in it.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It doesn't matter, I believe most/all LGA 1155 (low-mid end) CPUs have an integrated GPU. You just install a discrete GPU and you're off.

If you truly MUST avoid an integrated GPU, you would have to buy an LGA 2011/x79 mobo with the i7-3820 or better.

Again, there is no reason to shoot for a CPU w/o the iGPU. They are bundled in most low-to-mid range Intel CPUs.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to kingdome74

to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

Actually I would be waiting for the price drop on Ivy.

Already starting. I picked up the 3770K for CDN$279 at Christmas. Retail is $329-$349. List is just under $400.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It's $220USD if you drive into the U.S. and pick it up at a Microcenter store.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Krisnatharok:

Warranty issues, though. And I still have to deal with taxes coming into Canada. And I live 4 hours from the US border at Buffalo or Sarnia. No brainer. No savings.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

You're killing me, Kris.

»www.microcenter.com/prod ··· rocessor

There was talk when our local mall expanded to DestinyUSA that Microcenter might move up here that we'd get one but it hasn't happened yet. Damn but I'd love one up here.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Great price though, ain't it.

Mine is about 30 minutes away. I dunno, bribe me. Or take a trip to NOVA.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

NOVA?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Northern VA.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

LOL, I thought you meant Nova as in Villinova and I'm thinking, "they don't like us Syracuse fans much in Philly"

I'll wait. I'm sure the prices on all the Ivy related stuff should start falling fairly soon.
kingdome74

kingdome74

Premium Member

I wonder how much prices are elevated because, for those lucky enough to get one anyway, it's tax refund time?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to kingdome74

MVM

to kingdome74
Microcenter often has deep discounts on newly released processors as well. So it's perfectly conceivable that Intel Haswell based processors will be sold there for significantly less then Newegg and other online stores. With any luck the 4770K might even sell for the same price the 3770K is selling for now at ~$229.99 USD.

I recently, just today in fact at about 2:00PM, had a significant hardware failure. It seems to be the PSU on my HP EX490. So after some time I figured I might just turn it into a new build and order an Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K and Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TB motherboard or GA-Z77X-UP4 TB.

Microcenter is like 25min away in good traffic.

However, instead I'll probably just nix / dismantle my old Intel Core i5 2500K / ASUS P8P67 Pro build and install Windows server 2012 Essentials on it after I rebuild it with the necessary storage I need for a server.

I'll then wait for intel Haswell or possibly Ivy Bridge-E so I can replace the Core i5 2500K / ASUS P8P67 Pro system. I might still go for a 3770K but if I do it would be due to even lower prices after its successor is released.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

What kind of after-market heatsink/fan do you use?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Me,....

I have three or four Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus units. These are reasonably good and cheap (~$20). I also have a ThermalRight HR-01 and a ThermalRight Ultra 90.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to kingdome74

to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

What kind of after-market heatsink/fan do you use?

Corsair H60.

rusdi
American V
MVM
Flippin, AR

rusdi

MVM

I also have the H60. I don't know if it cools any better than the Hyper-212, but it sure is easier to clean! Don't seem to have to clean as often too, and what large pieces of dust does accumulate, peals off like a little mini-carpet.

I fold with this CPU, (run it @ 100%, 24/7/365) and I also think it provides even cooling, (less temperature spikes) than an air-cooled HSF.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I haven't even considered using water cooling because I just assumed that it was out of my price range and I don't have a fish tank handy. Newegg has the H60 for $60 and considering from what I'm reading the i7's run a little warm it looks like an excellent solution because I may start crunching again once spring gets here in about 6 months

rusdi
American V
MVM
Flippin, AR

rusdi

MVM

They do run a bit on the warm side, and the H60 is good insurance.......especially for that price!!

One nice thing about the i7. It will "throttle back" when it starts approaching TJ max temp. It kinda has a built-in self-protection feature that can really help save that expensive Intel chip!!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

That's definitely great for crunching when your cranking that chip up for long periods of time. One of the reasons why I'm thinking of crunching again is these newer chips don't use nearly the same amounts of electricity that they used to.