Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: [Parts Check] Looking For Mobo

Thanks to you and everyone for their input! Everyone was a great help cyphering through all the ups and downs of building a nice computer. Just wish my vid card would get here. I can't wait to see Bioshock.

Just watching thing load Windows is a treat. I have to say I'm quite pleased with the Thor V2 Black but not without some reservations. I've never been one for LED fans and all that but the lights on it are subdued and fairly non-intrusive. I do like the red "THOR" up by the USB hubs.
kingdome74

kingdome74

Premium Member

Click for full size
Not sure if anyone was curious about the Corsair Link2 that comes with a couple of their water coolers but here's a pic of what it looks like. I like having a real time look at the coolant temps and how it's measuring the CPU temp too from it's perspective.
kingdome74

kingdome74

Premium Member

I just ran a SSDLife scan and I looking at the results it says that I have 173.4 free of 250 free. I looked in Windows and it confirms it. OK, I've never used a SSD of this size before (120 biggest) but, damn, that looks like a hell of a lot of used space for just Win 7 Pro and nothing else. I understand about overhead, etc but something seems amiss, no?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by kingdome74:

I just ran a SSDLife scan and I looking at the results it says that I have 173.4 free of 250 free. I looked in Windows and it confirms it. OK, I've never used a SSD of this size before (120 biggest) but, damn, that looks like a hell of a lot of used space for just Win 7 Pro and nothing else. I understand about overhead, etc but something seems amiss, no?

That's about right dude. I've got roughly ~40 gigs of free space out of a 128gb drive. I've only got few other small programs installed on this along with the OS.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I'll barely have room for world of warcraft
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
If you have no intentions on using it, you can disable hibernation and shave off some of that used space.

To do so, open the Start menu, type cmd, right click, run as admin. Enter "powercfg -h off" (minus quotes).

But yeah, over 50 GB for a fresh Windows 7 install is quite a lot.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

When I first initialized it read 232 GB which is what I figured it would be for a 250 GB SSD. After I loaded 7 I was a bit surprised about the disk space used. On my two 120 SSD there was nowhere near that much spaced used.

I've been crunching with it for about an hour and my temps went to 45C and stayed there so the water cooler is doing it's job.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by kingdome74:

When I first initialized it read 232 GB which is what I figured it would be for a 250 GB SSD. After I loaded 7 I was a bit surprised about the disk space used. On my two 120 SSD there was nowhere near that much spaced used.

I've been crunching with it for about an hour and my temps went to 45C and stayed there so the water cooler is doing it's job.

Run CCleaner and see how many temp files can be removed.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by DKS:

said by kingdome74:

Run CCleaner and see how many temp files can be removed.

Does CCleaner do anything different then running Disk Cleanup through Windows?

I usually run it and will delete a good 1-2gb of useless files.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Ghastlyone:

Does CCleaner do anything different then running Disk Cleanup through Windows?

I usually run it and will delete a good 1-2gb of useless files.

I find that to be so. I just dumped 1.2 GB of files with Disk Cleanup. CCleaner found an additional 1.4 GB.
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
I run both. CCleaner clears out stuff Disk Cleanup doesn't touch, and vice versa. I mainly use Disk Cleanup to clear out crash logs/minidumps and service pack install backups.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

1 recommendation

kingdome74

Premium Member

Ok, here's the final run down:

All components purchased at newegg.

Case - Rosewill THOR V2 Black Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case $119.99
PSU - CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD $129.99
Mobo - MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 169.99 w/$20 rebate
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 $329.00
CPU Cooler - CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler $109.99
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $186.99
Vid Card - SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100352VXSR Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 329.99 w/$20 rebate
SSD - SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III $169.99
HDD - Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s $84.99
Optical - ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS $59.99
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 129.99

Cost: $2006.90
Rebate:-$40.00
Final: $1966.90

Thankfully my wife never comes to this site.
kingdome74

kingdome74

Premium Member

Well I finally got my 7950 Vapor that I believe UPS walked here from Memphis so everything is together as a unit. I haven't had much time to do anything with it yet. For a joke I ran a WEI and I hit 7.9 on Graphics, Gaming Graphics, and Hard Disk transfer. 7.8 for the RAM... 32 GB's isn't fast enough? And my final score was a 7.7 because they knocked my 3770K down. Of course I was also crunching at the same time but whatever.

Anyway I have some pics and I'll run some bench's hopefully over the weekend. If Syracuse wins Saturday it might be Wednesday or Thursday

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by kingdome74:

Well I finally got my 7950 Vapor that I believe UPS walked here from Memphis so everything is together as a unit. I haven't had much time to do anything with it yet. For a joke I ran a WEI and I hit 7.9 on Graphics, Gaming Graphics, and Hard Disk transfer. 7.8 for the RAM... 32 GB's isn't fast enough? And my final score was a 7.7 because they knocked my 3770K down. Of course I was also crunching at the same time but whatever.

Anyway I have some pics and I'll run some bench's hopefully over the weekend. If Syracuse wins Saturday it might be Wednesday or Thursday

That's strange about your RAM, mine scores a 7.9 and it's the exact same thing. My 3570K scores a 7.7 also, under a 4.2ghz overclock.

I bet you could get a slight higher score with that 3770K under an overclock.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Yeah, I haven't got that far into it yet. Back at the beginning of this thread I said it would be a slow-motion build and boy howdy I do believe I achieved it. You know what's odd - when I started this thread our RAM was a hell of a lot cheaper.

I should add too that I'm still getting a handle with the Corsair interface with the 100i. It's not the most user-friendly app I've ever used.
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
The crunching would definitely affect the final outcome.

I forgot what my exact scores on Win7 were, but on 8, it's 8.4/8.4/8.1/8.1/7.8. CPU is an i7-980X @ 4.24 GHz, RAM is slightly-underclocked DDR3-1600 in triple channel, GPU is a GTX 680, and the SSD is on a 3 Gbps port.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
If you are anywhere near a Microcenter, you can save $100 on your CPU. A 3770K runs $229 plus tax at Microcenter.

For World of Warcraft the 4000 can barely get by, I know, I tried it - »[Theory] I7 3770K / 4000 GPU no graphics card and WoW at lower res settings. It is barely playable. Other games may play well.

I picked up 16 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules) cost for $55 for a pair. More recently I picked up 32 GB of G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GAB at 110 for a set.

IMO the RAM for your rig is too expensive, the CPU is about right for online, I have absolutely no clue how Microcenter offers I7 3370K's for $329 in store only, but they do.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by pandora:

If you are anywhere near a Microcenter, you can save $100 on your CPU. A 3770K runs $229 plus tax at Microcenter.

You're a little late to the party, if you read the thread.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

The crunching would definitely affect the final outcome.

I forgot what my exact scores on Win7 were, but on 8, it's 8.4/8.4/8.1/8.1/7.8. CPU is an i7-980X @ 4.24 GHz, RAM is slightly-underclocked DDR3-1600 in triple channel, GPU is a GTX 680, and the SSD is on a 3 Gbps port.

I thought it was pretty cool I could hit a 7.7 with my CPU while it was crunching. BTW - I didn't know that the WEI was raised on Win 8.
kingdome74

1 edit

2 recommendations

kingdome74

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's some pics. I really had a battle getting the H100i in. The back of the mobo sticks up over an inch so it was a very tight fit. So much so that I had to change a couple of screw holes meaning it's not screwed in exactly where it's supposed to. It's nice and snug though and it does a great job of cooling. On the 7950 I love the cooling tubes. I can read it's temp and fan speed on the Corsair Link 2. For that matter I can read every temp and speed of all the drives and fans. Like Kris did I think is I put the front and side fans on my A controller and the rear on the B. Works really well.

Last but not least the crappy pic of the orange blob is supposed to be of the LED on the water pump. Of course the first thing I had to do was turn it orange

Edit - I added a different picture of the case in the room so you can see better the dimensions of it compared to the 24" monitor.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

rusdi

MVM

That should be one-honkin'-killer-PC!
I love the case!
Might run even better with a few sticks o' RAM.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
Nice setup, glad to see it turned out well for you!