spc
Search similar:

uniqs

joel321
@sbcglobal.net

joel321

Anon

wondering what this gadget is Greenlee-77HP-G-6A

some guy gave it to me because he did not know what it was..oh yeah he gave it to me because he knows i tinker with stuff.

i google for the part but i am still confused how it works. i was wondering if anyone can explain what it the purpose of this thing and explain how to use it.

i sometimes have to work on phone lines at work....was wondering if i could use this gadget at work to help me diagnose basic phone line problems...thanks in advance.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor

You need to buy a probe for it because without that there's not much use for it.
a whole kit: »www.greenlee.com/product ··· 0HZ.html
There are some manuals on the greenlee site,

In short, you hook up the generator and follow the wire with signal in with the probe. It's very useful for tracing normally inaccessible faults. I bought my kit (Fluke) to find a bad connection in my AC wiring. It would've been next to impossible to find it without the tone & probe kit.

joel321
@sbcglobal.net

joel321

Anon

ah, thanks for the info. this will come in handy down the line since i have troubleshooted cable problems before. in fact there is a pesky outlet that has current in both cables that needs fixing...i don't know if this will help me for that but i will search. thanks again...
joel321

joel321

Anon

here is a follow up question. i did my research and wow this thing is very handy. i found the model i have on the tubes...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· AtN9hTP4

since i am not going to use it that often, i was wondering if i can build one a probe? i use to take electronics class in school so i have the board and lots of electronic components left. i would appreciate if someone offered a diagram, if it's even possible. thanks.
joel321

joel321

Anon

anyone know what is going on here in this video?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

my voltage detector was detecting my finger when i attached the tone generator. it seems like when my finger made got close, it kept a connection until i would move it far away...just curious. in my own opinion i believe the florescent lights where charging my body with something because when i moved away from there it did not do it...can anyone explain this thanks....

on a side note just sharing this here....i found by accident playing with this thing that i could increase my voltage detector sensitivity. this can come in handy i tried it on an thermostat low voltage transformer and i was surprised it detected the voltage...can someone explain what is going on here, thanks...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· fFBgNjIw

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

It's most certainly possible to build one, so try googling for a schematics. However, my advice is that you're probably much better off by buying the matching probe, if you need to use them.

In my case, a single job (one corroded connection inside the wall in an outlet) was more than enough to pay for the cost of the whole set.
»Re: possible wiring failure (120 VAC)
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to joel321

to joel321
said by joel321 :

i sometimes have to work on phone lines at work....was wondering if i could use this gadget at work to help me diagnose basic phone line problems...thanks in advance.

That is what it is designed for, in Telco parlance it is called a buzzer as the original ones where just that a buzzer.

»www.greenlee.com/product ··· id=19496

That particular model also has an LED on it which will indicate line polarity and inside is a switch which modifies the tone.

If you have a buttset you can use that buzzer without a pick to buzz out 66 blocks by grounding one lead of your buttset and placing the buttset in the monitor (on-hook) position, then while holding the other buttset clip in your hand run your finger down the pins, when you hit the pair you are looking for you will hear the tone in the receiver of the buttset.

Beware though if there are workers on that 66 block you might get zapped as ringing runs about 70-120 volts and span power will curl your hair at 186 volts.