Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77

Premium Member

Where to find ethanol free gas.

This is a user generated list of gas stations in North America that sell ethanol free fuel. This may be a handy resource for those in this forum that use a lot of small engines.
»pure-gas.org/

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

i've seen more and more stores here switching back to pure gas on all tanks. especially the independant owned ones, the main local supplier has switched to only no ethanol gas so they had no choice. Funny thing is the same main supplier here has a huge biodiesel plant in town and turn out truck loads of ethanol a day.

up in your neck of the woods it is harder to find pure gas and costs more, here the price is the same or in some cases cheaper lately!
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Be sure to pay attention to the stations when you get there. I've found that site has very poor data about stations around these parts.

However, they're very quick to respond to emails updating them of a station's corn-free status.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

You can update them yourself. It is all user generated. You can add or delete sites with a few mouse clicks.

norton
join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI

norton to Lurch77

to Lurch77
if you have a boat and use lake michigan they are all around. you need at least 2 credit cards to fill up. other place would be an airport

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Don't forget they have a POI file that you can import into your GPS. I use this all the time as there are tons of ethanol free stations around here. On my Garmin, the stations show up under extras>custom POIs

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Interesting, one of the closest gas stations to my house is on the list and I didn't even know it existed.

If I have a car the requires minimum of 91 octane would it be better to stick with that or switch to ethanol free 90 octane?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I'm going to use if for my lawn and yard equipment. More recent cars should be able to handle E10 alright.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
We've had a TON of problems with our small engines at the Fire Dept, since our fuel supplier started providing E10 or E15... It's been murder on seals, filters, etc.

We've started buying PetroCan/Sunoco Ultra 94, as it's the only reliably Ethanol free gas we can get. We don't need the octane, just the "pure" gas...

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
said by Michail:

Interesting, one of the closest gas stations to my house is on the list and I didn't even know it existed.

If I have a car the requires minimum of 91 octane would it be better to stick with that or switch to ethanol free 90 octane?

Do they make 90 octane? Around here it's always 87,89 and 91 octane. If your car doesn't ping then I'd say it's ok.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
Esso is pure gas, bud. That's all I use for the most part.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Esso blends Ethanol in some regions... Including mine.

»www.imperialoil.ca/Canad ··· uel.aspx

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Dang, never have seen the 'may contain ethanol' sticker here yet. Might be just in the larger cities? I don't know.

Thanks for the info though.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

We've had a TON of problems with our small engines at the Fire Dept, since our fuel supplier started providing E10 or E15... It's been murder on seals, filters, etc.

We've started buying PetroCan/Sunoco Ultra 94, as it's the only reliably Ethanol free gas we can get. We don't need the octane, just the "pure" gas...

I've heard that Shell 91 is the only real Eth-free gas you can get in Canada. That's what I use in the mower and the blowers (snow/leaf).

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Juggernaut

MVM

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Dang, never have seen the 'may contain ethanol' sticker here yet. Might be just in the larger cities? I don't know.

I can't speak for Canadian rules and don't know if this is a US rule or maybe just for Ohio, but I believe that if the ethanol content is below a certain percentage, they don't have to claim that there's ethanol blended in.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

I don't know the rule either, and I suspect it would be state by state. I do know around here that stations advertise when they have "pure" gas, with a label on the pump stating it is ethanol free. Our local shell has a sign by the road stating their premium is ethanol free.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to davidg

MVM

to davidg
said by davidg:

Funny thing is the same main supplier here has a huge biodiesel plant in town and turn out truck loads of ethanol a day.

I don't think a biodiesel plant would be turning out ethanol.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
Here, it's posted. We seem to only use 10% maximum, or none at all but I can't verify that.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

im pretty sure petro canada has ethonol free gas, have u tried them? or you can find a sunnoco somewhere? btw all the sunnocos converted to petro canada, and some converted to husky, actually to think about it husky might have ethonol free gas too, try them? and stay far away from shell, they have so much ethonol its not funny

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Pauly:

im pretty sure petro canada has ethonol free gas, have u tried them? or you can find a sunnoco somewhere? btw all the sunnocos converted to petro canada, and some converted to husky, actually to think about it husky might have ethonol free gas too, try them? and stay far away from shell, they have so much ethonol its not funny

I heard that the only PetroCan stations that have ethanol-free gas are the ones that sell 91 but DO NOT SELL the 94 stuff. If they sell 94, the 91 will also have ethanol. AFAIK Shell 91 is still eth-free. In any case always check the sticker on the pump.

SkyKing
@comcast.net

SkyKing to Lurch77

Anon

to Lurch77
And for those of you that would like to check the ethanol content of gasoline ->

»www.eaa.org/autofuel/faq ··· opOfPage

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by SkyKing :

And for those of you that would like to check the ethanol content of gasoline ->

»www.eaa.org/autofuel/faq ··· opOfPage

Thanks for posting this up. I have several pieces of seasonal equipment, so going eth-free is very important when stashing it away.

On a semi-related note, how do you dispose of the old fuel? I know I could take it to a Household Hazardous Waste depot, but they only take it in canisters and I don't wanna be throwing out a good can a year. I don't wanna dump it in the car, already had some issues with that and I don't wanna just leave my equipment running until it runs through all the stuff in the tank and in the can.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

I keep gas in small containers, 5 gallon or less. And I try to time it so that I use most of it before it is bad. If it is getting close to the theoretical 3 month spoilage time frame, I'll dump it in one of our vehicles, where it will get used up fast. Even if the gas is on the verge of being spoiled, those couple gallons are heavily diluted when mixed with the 20 gallons or so in the vehicle.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

I would have to drive 100 miles to find one of these stations. The city and surrounding counties where I live are mandated to only carry 10% Gasohol since we are in a pollution control area. Now the push is to mandate E85 within a few years. Just another reason for me to move when I retire.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

I thought E85 was only available in the USA?

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Unless he's not living where his profile says, St Louis is in the US. But the US is only the second largest producer. Brazil is #1, and 40% of their vehicles run on E100.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

It's available in Ontario; just few and far between... There's a few stations in the 401 corridor that sell it...

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1 to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

I live about 20 miles NW of St. Louis city in the burbs.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I run pure gas in the mower but I still add a stabilizer to it so it keeps longer.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

Out here we have E/85 available at some stations. The only 2 pure gas ones listed are in two cities out in the middle of nowhere about 4+ hours away in the desert. But we have 91 octane as the highest available in the area. I did pass by a station that had 91 and then listed high octane about 15 cents more per gallon. I was like cool let me check it out. I looked and it was only 92 octane. I was like seriously 1 octane point for 15 cents more. Glad we have a speedway here to get race gas if needed.