how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SkyKing

@comcast.net
reply to Lurch77

Re: Where to find ethanol free gas.

And for those of you that would like to check the ethanol content of gasoline ->

»www.eaa.org/autofuel/faqs/alcoho···opOfPage

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by SkyKing :

And for those of you that would like to check the ethanol content of gasoline ->

»www.eaa.org/autofuel/faqs/alcoho···opOfPage

Thanks for posting this up. I have several pieces of seasonal equipment, so going eth-free is very important when stashing it away.

On a semi-related note, how do you dispose of the old fuel? I know I could take it to a Household Hazardous Waste depot, but they only take it in canisters and I don't wanna be throwing out a good can a year. I don't wanna dump it in the car, already had some issues with that and I don't wanna just leave my equipment running until it runs through all the stuff in the tank and in the can.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

I keep gas in small containers, 5 gallon or less. And I try to time it so that I use most of it before it is bad. If it is getting close to the theoretical 3 month spoilage time frame, I'll dump it in one of our vehicles, where it will get used up fast. Even if the gas is on the verge of being spoiled, those couple gallons are heavily diluted when mixed with the 20 gallons or so in the vehicle.

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO

I would have to drive 100 miles to find one of these stations. The city and surrounding counties where I live are mandated to only carry 10% Gasohol since we are in a pollution control area. Now the push is to mandate E85 within a few years. Just another reason for me to move when I retire.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

I thought E85 was only available in the USA?

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Unless he's not living where his profile says, St Louis is in the US. But the US is only the second largest producer. Brazil is #1, and 40% of their vehicles run on E100.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Paolo

said by Paolo:

It's available in Ontario; just few and far between... There's a few stations in the 401 corridor that sell it...

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO
reply to Paolo

said by Paolo:

I live about 20 miles NW of St. Louis city in the burbs.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to Lurch77

I run pure gas in the mower but I still add a stabilizer to it so it keeps longer.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Out here we have E/85 available at some stations. The only 2 pure gas ones listed are in two cities out in the middle of nowhere about 4+ hours away in the desert. But we have 91 octane as the highest available in the area. I did pass by a station that had 91 and then listed high octane about 15 cents more per gallon. I was like cool let me check it out. I looked and it was only 92 octane. I was like seriously 1 octane point for 15 cents more. Glad we have a speedway here to get race gas if needed.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

said by Paolo:

It's available in Ontario; just few and far between... There's a few stations in the 401 corridor that sell it...

i work along the 401 detroit/windsor and cornwall/quebec corridor, where along this corridor do they sell e85?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Lurch77

I mowed my grass yesterday. It was a PIA to get the mower started-don't know if it is old motor age or the ethanol crap. But, this hard to start issue came about within the last two years. And now I need to replace a primer bulb. Once you get it running, it is flawless.

Anyways, I see there are a few stations around here that sell the "pure gas", but many are 93 octane. I was always told (and in from the instruction manuals) not to run higher octane gas in small motors. True or false?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

More than likely age -I have a couple old mowers - 10+ and ethanol has yet to cause any issues. Well - maybe one fuel line that started to leak after like 13 or so years.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to jrs8084

said by jrs8084:

Anyways, I see there are a few stations around here that sell the "pure gas", but many are 93 octane. I was always told (and in from the instruction manuals) not to run higher octane gas in small motors. True or false?

Higher octane isn't an issue, just usually a waste of cash. Generally, on seasonal engines, I do my last fillup on eth-free 91 and winterize with it and Sea Foam and run 87 thoughout the season, with the occasional addition of Sea Foam to keep the fuel system clean.

Sea Foam acts as both a cleaner and a stabilizer. If your fuel system isn't so dirty as to require a thorough carb cleaning/rebuild, you can use it to keep things clean and clean out minor obstructions. While they recommend putting it in the oil as well, I wouldn't do it.

Speaking of oil, one thing you should definitely do is change the oil BEFORE you put away the equipment. Don't wait until season startup. Old oil is typically acidic and may harm your engine if you keep it in there for months. That's why my changes are done when I put away the equipment, so only fresh oil is sitting in there.

P.S. Guys, remember to sharpen your mower blades before you get going if you haven't done it before putting them away. That will save a lot of wear and tear on the motor. Don't give'em a razor edge, just clean it up from the nicks and bumps.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Paolo

said by Paolo:

i work along the 401 detroit/windsor and cornwall/quebec corridor, where along this corridor do they sell e85?

»lmgtfy.com/?q=Where+to+find+E85+in+Ontario
Expand your moderator at work