spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zacsaunders

join:2012-05-12

Do Canadian ISPs still throttle?

Just wondering if there are any ISP that throttle any type of connection in Canada. I know Rogers stopped throttling P2P but does that mean they don't throttle any traffic? Do other ISPs throttle any types of traffic? IE bell, start, teksavvy etc

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Most don't. Some have been very public about how they do it (like Acanac who throttle everybody at peak time as much as is required to reduce CBB costs).
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

zacsaunders

reply to zacsaunders

So Rogers, Bell , Teksavyy , Start , Electronicbox don't throttle ANY type of traffic?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

We don't.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to zacsaunders

AFAIK, none of the TPIAs ever throttled. The Telcos and Cablecos were doing deep-packet inspecting and packet shaping anything they deemed to be "P2P traffic". They have all stopped that practice last year (at least I believe all of them have).

What Acanac is doing is rate limiting during the heaviest traffic time of the day (the evening), but they only do it if traffic gets really heavy. All traffic is still treated equally and the lowest your rate will go is 50% of your subscribed rate. They offer some of the lowest monthly rates and unlimited though.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
reply to zacsaunders

AKA throttling. Yes, they're doing it in a way that is fully compliant with net neutrality, but it's still throttling.

It's not for me, but it's nice that the option exists for people who are willing to accept it for lower prices.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

df909

join:2013-03-05
Canada
reply to zacsaunders

VIF.com is quite open about their throttling or "rate limiting" as some might say:

quote:
VIF Internet's service is truly unlimited in the sense that VIF will never cut your service, charge you for additional bandwith, or call you to ask you to reduce consumption. However, we have a so-called “SoftCap” of 100 GB on our service. Anyone reaching or going over this limit is switched to a secondary server which has a lower priority, and may experience slower service during normal usage hours.

The limit is evaluated every night at 0:00AM. The script automatically calculates your bandwidth usage of the last 15 days. If your transfer is over 50 GB, you are transfered to the secondary server. If the next day at 0:00AM the previous 15 day's bandwidth goes back to being under 50 gigs, you are switched back to the regular server.
»wiki.vif.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:softcap

LostTheGame

join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON
reply to zacsaunders

Distributel throttles in Shaw-land - but they were forced to

Fergless
Premium
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON
reply to TypeS

Throttling that's never happened. I like that kind of throttling. Sorry, Rate Limiting I should say.

zacsaunders

reply to zacsaunders

Alright thanks for the information guys, good to know no one is throttling anymore

Shrug

@videotron.ca

said by zacsaunders:

Alright thanks for the information guys, good to know no one is throttling anymore

That's not true really.

Primus does, unless they changed.

The Satellite/wireless companies do.

Acanac does, or will, as shown above (no matter what they want to call it).

There is some area out in Ontario that has congestion issues with Bell, and Bell throttles that area. For the life of me I no longer recall the area.

So yeah, throttling is still alive and well. It can come back at any time for those companies who said they dropped it.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Shaw does throttle - but temporarily, and only until congested equipment can get upgraded - which is allowed.

What is gone from the major guys however is the 24/7/52 / set times throttling that Rogers, Bell & Cogeco were pulling - which were on the border of breaking CRTC rules.

Throttling is allowed on the ISPs who've ended it. Under CRTC rules however, they must provide notice that it is in affect.

Shrug: If Bell is still throttling areas that are congested, they need to state something about that on their site... Which they don't do:

»support.bell.ca/Internet/Usage/N···nagement

quote:
How does Bell manage its network?

Bell continues to make significant investments in network capacity and speed to meet the growing Internet demand. Due to these investments, Bell does not currently need to take advantage of tools such as traffic shaping. Bell will continue to monitor our network and if necessary, use Network Management tools in the future to ensure an excellent customer experience.
If there is proof Bell is still throttling in areas, they'd 1) be non-compliant with the CRTC's rules, for which I'd love to receive info & file a CRTC complaint against them, 2) Need to change their Network Management information, and 3) Need to provide notice to their customers in advance.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

fred999

join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to Shrug

said by Shrug :

said by zacsaunders:

That's not true really.

Primus does, unless they changed.

The Satellite/wireless companies do.

Acanac does, or will, as shown above (no matter what they want to call it).

There is some area out in Ontario that has congestion issues with Bell, and Bell throttles that area. For the life of me I no longer recall the area.

So yeah, throttling is still alive and well. It can come back at any time for those companies who said they dropped it.

How do you know Primus does? I'm curious because I just left them. I know either they had congestion issues, and/or I was being throttled, because the slowdown was every evening between 7pm and 11.30pm.

But of course they denied everything.

So I'm curious how do you know?

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Shrug: If Bell is still throttling areas that are congested, they need to state something about that on their site... Which they don't do:

Yeah no clue. Recall reading it this past fall or early winter. Don't really recall. It was in one of these forums. Pretty sure it was the TSI forum or in the Bell forum, or both.

Going by memory, it was a small area that had some sort of damage. Recall a few people (V small number, enough to count on one hand) complaining about "congestion", but there was nothing that could be done due to the damage, a throttle was kicked in to help alleviate some issues so people could at least get 1-meg speeds.

That's really all I can recall about it.

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-21

Electronic Box does not throttle at all.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to fred999

said by fred999:

How do you know Primus does?

Because they used to, just like Bell. But they did it a bit differently.
Like I said above, no clue if they ever stopped it.
Best to check their site and/or ask when they stopped it (if you can find someone who knows).

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to diskace

said by diskace:

Electronic Box does not throttle at all.

I can vouch for this. I do a LOT of downloading and have NEVER had any slowdowns whatsoever....

Anon123

@publipage.com
reply to zacsaunders

I use B2B2C and they do not throttle

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

What is gone from the major guys however is the 24/7/52 / set times throttling that Rogers, Bell & Cogeco were pulling - which were on the border of breaking CRTC rules.

Cogeco might say that they don't throttle anymore, but I beg to differ. I find it quite odd that I get full speeds on speedtest pages, but on certain websites I can't get more than 60kbps... and it's not the web servers either, I've checked a few on a non-Cogeco connection only to wind up getting proper speeds.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to zacsaunders

Videotron claims to throttle people on 120/20 package on the upstream, but in a very systematic way that only those customers are throttled, only the upstream , for a short period of time (15min interval checks) while a node is congested.