Search similar:

uniqs
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

1 edit

18286719 (banned)

Viewing My Usage/ this can be deleted

so im around the one month mark for my new shaw connection, about a week ago i was wondering what my first months usage was like so i went to the shaw website made an account and signed in to see it no problem, at the time it seemed to work fine and i remember it showed my usage around 200 gigs.

i checked a few days later and noticed the period in wich the data usage was in was change (dates said different things) and i also noticed it was upto about 230 gigs the second time, at this time i called shaw on the phone and made sure when my usage period was (between what dates i had to use my first months 400gigs), he explained the usage ended march 1st, and when i looked on the site it said feb 2 to march 1 as the dates my data was used between, so i assumed my new month would start and it would start recording my new data

wrong

i go to the site it sais the period for my data usage is now feb 5 to march 4, and it shows about 300 gigs, i wish it seperated the months into periods with dates better and didnt move those dates around, i can barely get a grip on what my usage is

1 question i have is is all shaw users usage period the same? or is the day i signed up the day it starts

18286719 (banned)

Re: Viewing My Usage

i had it installed and working same day sunday the 10th, so i think it would be fair my usage was from feb 10-march 10 (4 weeks, not even full 30 day month)

if this is the case i will be happy but i called shaw the other specifically to find out if my new month had started and they informed me it had, why they gave me this incorrect info i dont know

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
Mine matches my billing cycle... If that helps you at all
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

i called shaw and had this issue explained, the usage showed on the website isnt meant to reflect your billing cycle, its simply meant to show your usage over a 30 day period, i thought shaw gave 400gb a month specifically to each month but its more that they make sure u keep a steady average of around 400gb a month, and i was explained going over was no big deal, which i was surprised about, so ill know what i used in a month once the chart updates to reflect feb 10-march 9 (4 more days), it would be nice if shaw broke it down to show how much u used of your 400gb a month, but they explained they dont do this anymore as they dont enforce caps hence the way the system works
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

I believe you were told wrong. Mine always shows the 16th to the 16th, which is my billing period. I'll look into it, but I believe you were misinformed on everything, except that you won't be billed for going over.

They do enforce caps, but only with a phone call.
waldstein
join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

waldstein to 18286719

to 18286719

Re: Viewing My Usage/ this can be deleted

I had shaw change my billing cycle from the fifteenth to the first of each month about four months ago. (Any of the phone or concierge service people can handle this). However, it took two months before the system even recognized the change....and when it did, it began to lag four or five days until it began a new month cycle. This month, for example, it did not kick over and correct itself until the sixth (yesterday).

It's a pain in the a**, and will cause lots of angry confrontations unless Shaw fixes this (when the bump up program actually starts). Having said that, my router has monthly and daily count stats and so far, the Shaw monitor has stayed quite close to what my router is telling me. So at least it seems fairly accurate, despite the annoyance.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

LOL every time someone gives me a dif answer. there usage system is retarted

fan13027
join:2008-10-26
Kelowna, BC

fan13027

Click for full size
Hopefully a picture is worth more than a few words. My usage (as others have said) is according to my billing cycle -- which starts (for me) on the 2nd of the month. I moved to this new address on December 2nd.

It is NOT a rolling 30 day average, it should show as per your billing cycle. That being said, they are usually a few days behind. For example this screen grab was done just now on March the 7th, but they only show up to the 5th of March.

As you can see, as you progress through the months you will build history. It's probably a bit confusing because you're still on your first month.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

ok i appreciate that image alot, thats so weird considering they told me it was every 30 days and that my original period was feb 2 to march first just like your shows, but ever since then it changes every day right now it shows feb 7 to march 6, i hope it stops and goes normal once my first month ends on the 9th or 10th, tho that is really weird they said that they told me i couldn't see my monthly usage per month like that yet your showing me picture of it
eject
join:2013-01-23

eject

anyone satisfied with the shaw bandwidth monitor tool is a smack head or shill. first they fail to provide a daily break down in order to compare against your own records leaving room for discrepancy through either stat padding or under recording, the latter which most people have claimed to experience, or maybe even stat estimation off previous trends. if you recall the old monitor and how many empty days of reporting showed, obviously shaw thought it best to offer a broad stroke analysis so to avoid customer conflict because they've yet to master accuracy. second they round you up or down to keep things 'tidy', for example
200.74 - download
36.95 - upload
238 - total
237.69 - real total and 300 mb unaccounted for
300 of lost bw to the ether, and that's not just the entire month that's happening daily so either you get a little extra or lose some. should be enough to sway the loudest apologist in acknowledging a lack of faith in tracking.

all this shows is shaws inability to have already implemented the bump up program or once previously proposed data bandwidth packages, they simply cannot track accurately, let alone pin point accurate and they never have with demonstrable historic evidence, so when money becomes involved they maybe crossing a criminal line by failing to fulfill this obligation. until you see a new tracking tool rolled out by them you probably won't see the bump up program activated.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

They have other tools that track more accurately, kind of...

But yeah, I have only seen confirmed information showing under-reporting.

My take of the bandwidth tool, is it gives an indication of usage, but not much more.
eject

eject

problem with that is pestering phone calls from someone with a hard to understand accent when they have a almost no leg to stand on. they either need to sort their shit or get off the pot. since you're a heavy poster here do you have any knowledge on distributel? a much more attractive package compared to shaw and probably more honest about what unlimited usage constitutes, which of course is not unlimited but within reasonable ranges you hopefully won't be hearing from a person that is paid to put information in a choke hold. ubb/soft/hard caps = making information tap out by choke, that itself should be illegal.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to kevinds

to kevinds
Click for full size
i found myself unable to stop laughing while reading eject's post, there usage viewer is pretty sad, tho it does help a bit

my usage period will be feb 10-march 10 then start a new one, so im right on track, first month i was careful about going over tho , lets see how much we can move without annoying shaw
waldstein
Hoserland

waldstein to eject

to eject
I agree that Shaw would be crazy to attempt to enforce bump-up using their current monitoring system. Having said that, I find that, compared to my ddwrt-equipped router, Shaw is usually slightly below, on a daily basis (done by saving two consecutive counts and simply subtracting any dayx from dayx+1.)

As to the rounding: I'm on bb50 with a 50 gig "threefer" bonus. Even if that 300 meg rounding took place (and upwards) every day, the monthly tally would amount to 9 gigs, or 2% of the total. That sort of error, I could live with. Or, more likely, Shaw would be wise to build a fudge factor of a few percent into their bump-up program.
eject

eject

yes i think most people have experienced that, but when you're on their bw watch list i do believe a certain level of embellishment the other way occurs, i'm still documenting what i experience so i don't sound like a complete crazy person which could be possible but i have total control over my usage with no chance of leakage and things aren't adding up. also i do feel a daily monitor should be present, the whole vague broad stroke of interpreting one month blocks is stupid and a fertile crescent for conspiracy.
waldstein
Hoserland

waldstein

I hear you loud and clear. The bizarre thing about all this is that month by month, the discussion becomes less realistic or relevant. Just the other day, I noticed an article (here, I believe) pointing out that a streamed ultra HD film (4k res) would consume 100 gigs. Not sure whether the number already includes x265 compression, but still.....

Moore's law keeps chugging along, and enterprise remains oblivious.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

4K using H.265 should be 20-30mbps
Which is ~3MB/s (24 mbps)
10.54 GB/hour