spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GRB

join:2013-03-07

New to Linux and need help installing printer drivers

I've got a Lexmark printer that I'm trying to setup. I went and downloaded the drivers and after some Googling on what to do next, I opened the terminal and typed the following:

cd Downloads
Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.deb

The terminal started doing its thing and said:

"Lexmark Print Drivers is Installed.

You must run the following script to complete the installation.

# /usr/local/lexmark/setup.lexprint"

And that's where I am stuck. How do I "run a script"? Have I done things properly so far?

Also, when I double click on the file itself it was doing nothing then I went to the permissions tab and clicked on the "extract" box and now when I double click it just opens up the software centre.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
Ok, first you will need to get out of the habit of double-clicking on things to make them do something. Linux is oriented to the "command line" for much of its activities.

To run that command, you start a Terminal program (you should be able to find it in your menus). It appears that that script should be run with root authority (judging by the # at the start of the line). At this point, what you need to do kind of depends on what distro you are running. Some distros want you to log in as root, others want you to run root commands under another program named sudo.

So, maybe your command should be "sudo /usr/local/lexmark/setup.lexprint". First, you will be asked for your password, then, if your user account has authority to run sudo, it will run the script.

Good luck.
Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

GRB

I entered the command and now it says "Enter an administrative group ( bin ):" Not sure what to do now.

I'm running Ubuntu, btw. And the only reason I tried double clicking was because someone in a another forum said should be all I'd have to do.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
Ok, Ubuntu does have some facilities for installing a .deb by double clicking it. Your problem now is to get the authority needed to run a post-install script.

I haven't used Ubuntu for a good while. Are you looking in ubuntuforums.org for help? That should be the best place.

Again, good luck,
Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to GRB
Usually you do not need to install print drivers in Ubuntu.
First try Settings->Printers->Add. Sometimes the printer automatically shows up in Printers with no action.
If you try that and it doesn't work, then type the following in a terminal.
sudo /usr/local/lexmark/setup.lexprint

You can access the Terminal through the keyboard shortcut ctrl+alt+t, or by hitting the (i.e. Windows) key and then typing "terminal" without the quotes into the dash.

--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Maxo:

Indeed. Actually I'd say that for most any desktop Linux distro.

You can also have a look here:

»www.openprinting.org/printers

See if your printer is listed. They will note any special steps you might need to take if any to get your printer working if you have any trouble, and the recommended driver.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

piper
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY
reply to GRB
said by GRB:

I entered the command and now it says "Enter an administrative group ( bin ):" Not sure what to do now.

I'm running Ubuntu, btw. And the only reason I tried double clicking was because someone in a another forum said should be all I'd have to do.

I don't use ubuntu or lexmark, but, when you get to this part, just press enter, it should be default (bin)

The next question might be something about html files, if it does, choose

/usr/bin/firefox

or whatever your main browser is
--
debian sid | apt-get into it
proudly anti-micro$oft using aptosid / siduction

GRB

1 recommendation

reply to Maxo
said by Maxo:

First try Settings->Printers->Add. Sometimes the printer automatically shows up in Printers with no action.

Well, I feel dumb. This worked flawlessly. Who woulda thought it would be so simple?

Thanks so much for all the help, all!

Black Box

join:2002-12-21

1 recommendation

Don't feel dumb, after all is a new OS with new ideas for you. Come back and ask if you get stuck again.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

GRB

1 recommendation

True enough. Thanks. Will do!

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to GRB
I'm thinking about ditching Win8 and using Ubuntu 12.10 (or I might wait for 13.04 in about a month). But I've actually run off the DVD now for a couple of days, and I'm pretty impressed.

It detected both of my wireless printers on my home network (HP AIO's), and recommended the correct drivers for both to be able to print wirelessly. I haven't tried to scan wirelessly yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ubuntu seems really solid... and might have won me over at this point...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to GRB
Update: I just tried to scan wirelessly... and simple scan worked flawlessly over my network.. kinda amazing because it was a pain to setup under Win7 and Win8. And the wireless is spotty with printing and won't work at all with wireless scanning with my wife's Mac.

Uber-impressive... and I'm still running off the DVD-only!!

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to SwedishRider
If you do decide to make the jump, don't be shy about dropping by to ask questions when needed.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by Maxo:

If you do decide to make the jump, don't be shy about dropping by to ask questions when needed.

Thanks! I think I'm switching when 13.04 is released next month.