FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

USG 50 email woes

My USG has been sending me daily reports just fine...until I had to replace my cable modem.

I *suspect* when they activated the new modem I became part of the port 25 block.

I followed the instructions in another thread to successfully change the smtp port. However shortly after sending a daily report, I get the following error in the log:

msmtp: network read error: the operation timed out.

Any thoughts?

Taking a SWAG, I'd say I need encryption (SSL/TLS), but I don't know if that is automatically implied when changing the port, or if it has to be manually configured, or not even available on the USG.

Thanks,

-Alan

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

1 recommendation

The USG series does not support using SSL/TlS. Here is the procedure I use to change my port to 587 to send my reports. The USG50 should use the same CLI commands.

The following changes must be made to the USG-100 to use xxxx.com email service.
How to change the USG-100 Logging email server to use port 587; the default port is 25.
This change can only be accomplished using the CLI commands.
Log into the router using the GUI, then open the Console window and log into the system.
Enter the following commands:
Router # configure terminal
Router (config) # logging mail 1
Router (config) # logging mail 1 port 587
Router (config) # write
Router (config) # exit
Router # exit

How to change the USG-100 Reports email server to use port 587; the default port is 25.
Log into the router using the GUI, then open the Console window and log into the system
Enter the following commands:
Router # configure terminal
Router (config) # daily-report
Router (config-daily-report) # smtp-port 587
Router (config-daily-report) # write
Router (config-daily-report) exit

FirebirdTN

Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

Thanks! I will give that a try when I get home.

I really don't know that much about email configuration [its just something I don't normally do], but I tried port 465 already, but looks like port 465 requires a secure connection.

I'll give port 587 a go when I get to the house.

-Alan

PS The one thing I don't understand *if* this works.....in an effort to stop spammers, ISPs are starting to block port 25; Okay I can kind of see that, but rather than changing the port, couldn't they just implement authentication? I don't see the difference whether email uses port 25, 2500, or 25000, couldn't spammers just change the ports on their email bots as well? Why the need to block port 25 is what I don't understand. Oh well.

u475700
Premium
join:2004-02-16

1 edit
reply to FirebirdTN

Note: The new SMTP port for the logging e-mail server is not shown by the show logging status mail command.

FirebirdTN

Brighton, TN

Port 587 worked perfectly.

Thank you!

-Alan

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to u475700

Glad to hear FirebirdTN.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to FirebirdTN

Great job Hank, someone has to take up the slack when Brano is slummin it.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

1 recommendation

reply to u475700

Go into Configuration>Object>Service and you will see that the port has been changed to 587.

Thanks Anav - I wish I had just 1/100th of the knowledge that Brano has on the USG routers and networking in general.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

Dont feel bad by my calculations that means your at least 10x more knowledgeable than I.