uniqs

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

habskilla

New rules for wireless and 700 MHz spectrum auction

»news.gc.ca/web/article-e ··· d=724349

Fresh off the Harper press.

To understand the rules, you'll need access to a shit load of lawyers to get through it all.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

"ensuring at least four providers in every region can acquire spectrum in the upcoming 700 MHz spectrum auction, to start on November 19, 2013, as part of the Licensing Framework for this spectrum."

So... Rogers and Fido, Bell and Virgin, and Telus and Koodo would mean we have awesome competition with plenty of choices then?

Also, I was hoping the auction would be a bit earlier and we'd see Wind in Quebec. Guess I will have to get another year with Fido or think about switching to Public.

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido to habskilla

to habskilla
"ensuring at least four providers in every region can acquire spectrum in the upcoming 700 MHz spectrum auction, to start on November 19, 2013, as part of the Licensing Framework for this spectrum."

So for Quebec we'll have: Bell, Telus, Rogers, Videotron ...:(
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

It say " at least " so Wind and Public Mobile would be able to bid.

Public Mobile will bid since it was the plan since they started.
icemasta
join:2013-01-22

icemasta to MFido

to MFido
+ MTS, Bragg, and Sasktel buying their regional licenses leaving only a handful of area's for Wind/Mobilicity/Public to actually buy.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MFido

MVM

to MFido
said by MFido:

So for Quebec we'll have: Bell, Telus, Rogers, Videotron ...:(

Does Telus actually own any spectrum in Quebec? Last time I looked Bell and Telus don't buy spectrum in the same geographic areas, they share the networks.
icemasta

icemasta

said by Guspaz:

Does Telus actually own any spectrum in Quebec? Last time I looked Bell and Telus don't buy spectrum in the same geographic areas, they share the networks.

They do. This the AWS auction results.
»agora.ic.gc.ca/overview_ ··· olor=yes

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Well, nobody even bought the I-band almost anywhere, WIND could have grabbed that :P
icemasta

icemasta

I think it's because it's unpaired which is why no one wanted it.
Expand your moderator at work

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to icemasta

MVM

to icemasta

Re: New rules for wireless and 700 MHz spectrum auction

The smart carrier would have noticed that LTE supports 1.4 MHz and 3 MHz slices, which would enable a single 5 MHz chunk of spectrum to be used for both directions (if such a thing is allowed). Could have done 3 MHz down and 1.4 MHz up. In the downstream direction, depending on the version of LTE and how many antennas are involved, that's enough for anywhere from 23 to 90 Mbps of throughput.

EDIT: The 90 Mbps figure for 3 MHz is based on the ~3 gigabit that LTE Advance can theoretically do with 8x8 antennas on 100MHz of spectrum; nobody has demonstrated that in practice, not even in the lab. 1.4 Gbps per 100 Mhz is the fastest demonstrated in the lab. Still, you get my point, a 5 MHz slice gives you a decent chunk to play with; you'd get more out of it than Public Mobile is getting out of their 10 MHz with CDMA.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

The smart carrier would have noticed that LTE supports 1.4 MHz and 3 MHz slices, which would enable a single 5 MHz chunk of spectrum to be used for both directions (if such a thing is allowed).

As a practical matter putting transmit and receive right next to each other like that is difficult to impossible. The huge transmit signal, at both handset and the base station, has to be isolated from the receiver or it kills its sensitivity. The filters that accomplish this get more complicated and expensive the smaller the separation between the transmit and receive carrier frequencies.

I work on the electronics that make this stuff work and we don't even like the typical ~50 MHz separation. In the basestations they pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for precision machined cavity duplexers to get the isolation that is required, it's a big part of the cost. In an ideal world every band would be like 1700/2100 where there is a larger separation between transmit and receive.