Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vrette
Premium
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL

2310-51-1ATT Firmware

I bought a "new" 2310 on eBay to back up my 3600. I got it for $11, but maybe that wasn't cheap enough. When I plug it in, I get the message waiting for ATM PVC and it never connects. I suspect it is because the firmware version is 7.8.7r17. Does anyone have the most recent firmware, or should I put this back in the box and forget about it? Thanks.
--
Chairman of the Bored...

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

A 2210 or 2310 needs firmware version 7.8.7r27.

»/profile/446167 posted a copy of that version firmware that is designed for the 2210 -- don't know if it would work with the 2310 or not

»Fair warning! 3rd party purchase of U-verse IPDSLAM modem has a quick summary of how Thinkdiff was able to take the old firmware 2210, update its certificate authority so it would connect, and then it downloaded the new firmware.

vrette
Premium
Lombard, IL

I tried that one and got an invalid image message.
--
Chairman of the Bored...

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Since the 2210 and 2310 are similar devices, I'd assume if you could get a valid Certificate Authority and load it into the 2310, it would then connect

I'd try contacting Thinkdiff for more info on how he did the 2210, and see possibly if he still has the valid CA he pulled off the nvg510 and how he got telnet access to the 2210 to load them there -- It is a starting point anyway

vrette
Premium
Lombard, IL
reply to vrette

I'll shoot him an IM. Thanks
--
Chairman of the Bored...

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:96
reply to vrette

just an FYI: the 2310 is a VDSL modem, not IPDSL

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by David:

just an FYI: the 2310 is a VDSL modem, not IPDSL

This is true, but whether U-Verse is VDSL2, ADSL2+, or xPON, it still uses the same Certificate Authority authentication, correct? That was my understanding anyway

David
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL

I think it does, I can't say I have had uverse or a 2310 to find out.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

I do know a 2310 with proper firmware works -- but I've only had the opportunity to install one once. Most Internet only VDSL2 customers I come across prefer/want the 3600

vrette
Premium
Lombard, IL
reply to vrette

Thinkdiff got back to me and pointed me to his site here:

»thinkdiff.org/blg/?p=13

Unfortunately that is a bit more involved than I want to get.

Theoretically, how long would it take to push out the update to the 2310? I'm wondering if there is an outside chance that I didn't leave it hooked up long enough? Everything lit up green except the activity light...
--
Chairman of the Bored...

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state

The update should be quick.

In that article it's mentioned that on older versions of the firmware you could enable telnet without going through serial. I have no idea if the current firmware you have allows that or not. The only way I've seen this done is this way: »earlz.net/view/2012/06/07/0026/r···he-webui

Like I said, no idea if that will work. If it does, you can skip the serial portion.

I gotta say, this looks like a fun project.

DNSguy

join:2006-04-09
Saint Charles, MO
kudos:3
reply to vrette

said by vrette:

Theoretically, how long would it take to push out the update to the 2310? I'm wondering if there is an outside chance that I didn't leave it hooked up long enough? Everything lit up green except the activity light...

It won't ever push out. The version of firmware you have has expired 802.1x authentication certificates, the new firmware has the updated certificates.
Your modem is getting VDSL sync, but the network port will never open to allow data to pass because of the expired certificate.

vrette
Premium
Lombard, IL
reply to vrette

Side note. I went back to the eBay seller and asked him if he knew that this unit was not functional as represented, and he basically told me to pound sand. Pissed me off enough to file a complaint with eBay, who sided with me, and I got a refund. I would of just ate the cost if the guy had been more apologetic instead of being such a jerk.
--
Chairman of the Bored...

David
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 recommendation

said by vrette:

Side note. I went back to the eBay seller and asked him if he knew that this unit was not functional as represented, and he basically told me to pound sand. Pissed me off enough to file a complaint with eBay, who sided with me, and I got a refund. I would of just ate the cost if the guy had been more apologetic instead of being such a jerk.

This is why I launched the warning last year for the 2210. The certificate was expiring and after that day if it wasn't connected it wouldn't receive the update. It's not like they don't know people resell equipment (hell they check ebay and craigslist all the time). The only thing they won't do (or I wouldn't expect them to as least) would be to replace a modem you bought on ebay. They also can't be responsible for modems sitting around not being updated and then they can't authenticate anymore or receive updates. I see their point, I wouldn't want the responsibility or liabilities to make other manufactured modems to work.

ironically I don't see apple iphones having to support the android operating systems on their iphones. Call me crazy

As far as not releasing an update, I don't know what came out of that decision. Personally, if the certificate is public info I can't see any problems with it. Maybe there is a legal point behind it? IANAL.

As someone posted in that thread I can't be responsible for decisions corporate makes. I had no idea was just told to advise, which... I did.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

vrette
Premium
Lombard, IL
reply to vrette

Well, if anyone happens to come across the 7.8.7r27 firmware for a 2310, I would really appreciate if you would IM me. I'll post again in this thread if I ever find the update or a workaround. Thanks.
--
Chairman of the Bored...