Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Fb Privacy Study Shows Why You Gave Up On Keeping Your Data

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/0···535.html from »www.bluesnews.com/s/139693/morni···ty-dance ...

"While we've always known that Facebook has the final say in how people use its service, a new study reveals just how effectively the social network can nudge its members to behave in ways Facebook might consider most fitting..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

2 recommendations

FB can "nudge" me any way it wants--since I don't and won't have a FB account. May as well record everything I say and do and send it to Bob.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

Because if something (even an utter BS) will be repeated hundreds of times, people start to believe that and that's exactly what FB wants...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to antdude

Can't wait for the new newsfeed ? Sign-up here

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

Never had an account and never will. One day, it's one thing with them, and the next day, another. I am sure that I heard a blurb yesterday on TV that they are now going to start charging for comments. If I heard correctly, that's just another nail in FB's coffin IMHO.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

Same here!!!!!!!!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to StuartMW

Re: Fb Privacy Study Shows Why You Gave Up On Keeping Your Data

said by StuartMW:

... May as well record everything I say and do and send it to Bob.

We can arrange that...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

said by Blackbird:

We can arrange that...

Thanks but I think Bob is doing just fine without any help
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to StuartMW

If I had known (which I do now) - that this thread would turn into an anti social networking rant, I'm not sure I would have posted to it.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 edit

said by siljaline:

If I had known (which I do now) - that this thread would turn into an anti social networking rant, I'm not sure I would have posted to it.

Why?

The web isn't a static entity. TOS change, features change, and not just on FB. Security is an ongoing process, not a one-time decision.

I see no rants here. Some people like social networking, others see risks. FB has repeatedly and publicly pushed their ideals on users. Surely that's worthy of discussion and contemplation by users, pro and con.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to siljaline

Why buddy??

These sites ARE BAD and are a tool for the elite to spy on people!

Why does it bother you to have the truth about them posted??

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

This seems like a classis piece of not responding to the issue:

said by some facebook guy :

"Independent research has verified that the vast majority of the people on Facebook are engaging with and using our straightforward and powerful privacy tools -- allowing them to control what they're sharing, and with whom they're sharing," he wrote.

So, the issue is "more people are choosing to share their crap as a result of facebook pushing them in that direction". How is "users are using the controls we give them" an answer to that?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

These sites ARE BAD and are a tool for the elite to spy on people!

Who are these "elite" that you mindlessly talk about every chance you get?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

Focusing on the original topic, I suspect the root issue is normal user ignorance (not said as a slur, but as a description of a simple lack of knowledge and perspective). Many social network users fail to understand the potential ways that various elements of seemingly innocuous information can be assembled, cross-correlated, and successfully mined or abused. Consequently, they fail to grasp the implications of various details of privacy protection.

Giving such users more detailed privacy-setting choices actually gives them more opportunity for misunderstanding what they're doing, and more risk of making certain important settings out of ignorance. All this, while it provides to such users the descriptive illusion that they're "in control". But if they don't understand what the various settings can and cannot do and what the various privacy details may actually expose and not expose, there's no way they're truly "in control." And there are social network operators more than willing to exploit this kind of ignorance to enhance their bottom lines, particularly because data-mining of users is how their real money is made.

"Choice" can be a wonderful thing, but only if one has an understanding of what the various choices really represent. Moreover, in the presence of ignorance, "Choice" can be more easily manipulated to make poor choices sound as if they're good.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to goalieskates

My remarks were somewhat tongue-in-cheek
edit:
Facebook's • »www.facebook.com/about/newsfeed was supposed to launch "all new" (today) or in the next few days
• »www.facebook.com/about/graphsearch Graph Search will also change the whole landscape of how Facebook behaves and invades your privacy.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to dave

Re:  

said by dave:

I could not have said that better myself.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

reply to dave

said by dave:

As George Carlin famously said..."it's a big club, and you ain't in it!"

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

--
No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him. Well, you can try to...

swtnoob

@optonline.net
reply to antdude

Click for full size
i think this explains it all...