Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to CFoo

Re: Plumbing in new home: hot and cold are reversed

said by CFoo:

said by nightdesigns:

What builder....Matamay Homes?

No but it does start with M.

Good. We were looking at them for a build, an I know they are big in Canada.
--
This Space for Rent...

CFoo

join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON

Did you mean Mattamy Homes? Please go look at a finish home, not a model home, especially in the basement where everything is exposed.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL

1 recommendation

reply to CFoo

I agree with the others about checking for the Moen cartridge. If so, it is a ten minute fix. (time actually depends on finding the right size hex wrench) The fact that the reversal is present in the shower but not the sink reinforces my opinion. I don't know why Moen can't print instructions on how to predict the direction of the cartridge when it is put in the first time.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

Whether it's the cartridge or the actual plumbing, the homeowner should be making the installer do it.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to CFoo

said by CFoo:

said by garys_2k:

I think he means open up the wall so that the pipes feeding the valve can be swapped.

Yes, that what I meant.

It's code in some U.S. states and standard practice in any good building design to provide an access panel to the piping of all tub/shower mixers. If s/he hasn't already, have your cousin check the opposite side of the wall. If there isn't one and the wall cavity does get opened for repair then insist a tool-less access panel is installed rather than wall-boarding it over again. It's a no-brainer even if you have to get aesthetically creative. Hopefully it's inside a closet.

Please don't tell me it's an outside wall. That would be too goofy.

G'luck

CFoo

join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON

1 edit

said by jap:

It's code in some U.S. states and standard practice in any good building design to provide an access panel to the piping of all tub/shower mixers. If s/he hasn't already, have your cousin check the opposite side of the wall. If there isn't one and the wall cavity does get opened for repair then insist a tool-less access panel is installed rather than wall-boarding it over again. It's a no-brainer even if you have to get aesthetically creative. Hopefully it's inside a closet.

Please don't tell me it's an outside wall. That would be too goofy.

G'luck

For the tub, the shared wall is with a bedroom and it just a blank wall on the other side no access. The only thing is the faucet and spout is not on the wall. They built a tub enclosure and the controls are placed on the flat surface of the enclosure about 4" away from the finish wall. The tub enclosure is tiled with ceramic. The shower stall shares the wall with the tub so it can be opened up.

join:2013-03-08
reply to garys_2k

Thanks garys-2k to giving me response.I am satisfy with your answer .Do you think there is need of detection first or not?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to StepR

said by StepR:

I don't know why Moen can't print instructions on how to predict the direction of the cartridge when it is put in the first time.

Because Moen cartridges don't have sides/directions?
I can't see how they can be reversed as they are perfectly symmetrical (yes I have replaced one in the past).

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
Elgin, IL

»www.moen.com/consumer-support/in···oen01338
Reversing Hot & Cold

Step 8:
"If you need to reverse the sides for Hot and Cold water first remove the handle. Next, rotate stem exactly 180 degrees and replace the handle."

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

The Moen website seems to be having issues displaying the page...

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

2 edits
reply to StepR

said by StepR:

»www.moen.com/consumer-support/in···oen01338
Reversing Hot & Cold

Step 8:
"If you need to reverse the sides for Hot and Cold water first remove the handle. Next, rotate stem exactly 180 degrees and replace the handle."

Can't load up the page, but maybe CERTAIN cartridges do that.
However the one I'm familiar with is symmetrical and the hot/cold side is decided by which side they come in, not which way the cartridge is oriented.

edit - Ah it seems like the bath/shower cartridges are different. I was thinking of the cartridges like for the single handle kitchen faucets.

edit 2 - Oh I know, it's because the single handle faucets for tubs can be pointed up or down, which would indeed make turning the handle to hot or cold be the opposite way. Turning the cartridge doesn't reverse the cartridge itself, it reverses the way the handle is installed over it.

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada
reply to CFoo

said by CFoo:

So a continuation of problems with my cousins new home. The hot and cold are reversed for the ensuite tub and shower stall (on 2nd floor) but the sink is OK. Now the only way to fix this is either remove wall or tub tiles and expose the connections and fix or find the pipes (PEX) in the basement and somehow reverse them (so long they don't feed elsewhere). The other option is to leave it alone and live with it. My concern if they leave it alone, is for the children (10 and under) may scald themselves.

So should my cousin pursue the builder to fix the issue?

This is a defect, it needs to be fixed. Mostly for the reasons you mentioned in your post. The builder should be fixing it.

I have also seen reversed polarity on a brand new house here in Ontario for the bathroom exhaust vent. The window in the bathroom was condensing a lot, I could not find any reason for it. At the end, I took a paper towel, put it up against the vent and instead of sucking it, it blew the towel away.

You might want to check for these things as well in your house after finding out they have reversed hot and cold

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

I guess your hydro is DC

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

said by AVD:

I guess your hydro is DC

That's what I thought too.

It's not reverse polarity, it's the fan assembly that was installed backwards.

iLearn

canada

So this could not have happened if the hot and neutral are reversed in AC?

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to AsherN

or upside down

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to iLearn

said by iLearn:

not if you think about it.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to iLearn

said by iLearn:

I suggest you try the following little experiment:

1.) check out garage / yard sales or flea markets to locate an old desk fan. It should be old enough not to have a polarized plug (those with a narrow and a wide blade) but needs to be in working condition.

2.) plug it in at home and observe the direction of spin / airflow.

3.) unplug from the power (hydro for you) outlet and rotate the plug 180 degrees to switch hot and neutral (or to reverse "polarity").

4.) plug the fan back in and observe the direction of spin / airflow again.

In AC circuits the polarity constantly changes and does not determine the direction of the motor rotation (which is different from DC motors). In three phase AC motors the rotation is determined by the order of the three phases. In single phase AC motors (a number of different designs exist) a phase shift (often, but not always created by a capacitor) is used to create a second magnetic field (trailing or leading the primary and thereby causing a specific direction of rotation).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

iLearn

canada

Fair enough.

Anyways, the point was that it was builder to fix.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
Elgin, IL
reply to StepR

»www.moen.com/consumer-support/in···moen0133