Search similar:

uniqs

rustypixel
Rustypixel
join:2001-03-23
Old Bridge, NJ

rustypixel

Storm door hinge decision

I'm about to get a storm door and have been trying to figure out which side I should place the hinge. Typically it would be hinged the same as the main door. But if you look at both of my rather poor diagrams you'll see that my door opens to the right. The lock is towards the left and near a wall. Does anyone have any pros/cons about hinging either left or right? Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Well there aren't any rules as to how it "has to be", as it is really preference depending on your situation.

That said, I would think by your diagram that same-side hinging would be "clunky" and the storm door would get in the way of ingress from the sidewalk area. I would want the storm to swing toward an unused space (the wall) rather than potentially occupied space.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

+1

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

1 edit

VioletVenom to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Nomal storm door installation would be hinged same side as the exterior. With your setup, I agree with the consensus, second diagram install you would have to walk around the storm door. It would quickly become a PITA.
Edit
Pay attention to what storm door you get, in terms of the self closer. Most of the half light models call for the self closer to be mounted in the center (if memory serves right). TLDR- Closer in center of storm door might hit the exterior door knob.
makaze
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23
USA

makaze to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Is there any way to adjust your walkway to the driveway?

Our storm door hinge is like your 2nd half where the hinge is on the side the inside door handle is. It's so annoying, you literally have to open the storm door bending the openers to unlock the door.

Luckily it's already falling apart, so once it warms up we're replacing both inside and outside doors.

rustypixel
Rustypixel
Old Bridge, NJ

rustypixel

Thanks for the replies. I can't do anything about the walkway as it's concrete so that's not going anywhere. The door will be a full view (all glass) so I won't have to worry about the self closing mechanism. Good call, though, if I were looking to get one like that. I'll probably go with option 2 but I'd still love to hear more input.

Thanks again.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Take the prevailing direction of the wind into consideration. I hate having the wind take the door for a ride on windy days, even if there is a safety chain.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to rustypixel

to rustypixel
I have two storm doors at home and each is set differently from the other, that is, I have both of your setups here at home. The one set opposite is exactly the same you have in your drawing except that it is inside and the walkway area would be my living room. Each one works nicely for their location but would be awkward the other way. You need to use whatever is most practical and for your particular application the opposite hinge placement is best in my opinion.

rustypixel
Rustypixel
Old Bridge, NJ

rustypixel

Thanks for the continued replies. Printscreen. On the set up where the storm door is hinged oposite of the main door, do you have any issues getting to a good angle to lock/unlock the door? My one and only concern with that set up (my first image) is being able to shoulder the door open... fully open, to be able to lock/unlock. How does that factor in with you and your set up?
For those that have mentioned the wind, I'll definitely take notice the next time it's windy out.

Thanks again.
said by printscreen:

I have two storm doors at home and each is set differently from the other, that is, I have both of your setups here at home. The one set opposite is exactly the same you have in your drawing except that it is inside and the walkway area would be my living room. Each one works nicely for their location but would be awkward the other way. You need to use whatever is most practical and for your particular application the opposite hinge placement is best in my opinion.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Hinge towards the walkway. The other way, you always have to open the screen door wider and walk around it to get in.. Could be a pain. What is the distance between the door and the window wall?

rustypixel
Rustypixel
Old Bridge, NJ

rustypixel

If you're asking about the distance between storm door edge and the wall it would be about 9" If you're talking about the distance of the storm door fully open then it's about 46"
said by PoloDude:

Hinge towards the walkway. The other way, you always have to open the screen door wider and walk around it to get in.. Could be a pain. What is the distance between the door and the window wall?

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
I have 3 entry doors with stormdoors. All 3 stormdoors are hinged the same as the inner steeldoors. All are hinged on the leftside and they have been this way since 1978 and I haven't had a single problem at all. When we moved in, the original screen doors were all opposite...on the right side, with the innerdoor opening on the leftside...and I complained and had hubby change them all to open the same way !!!

printscreen
Juana Diaz, PR

to rustypixel
said by rustypixel:

Thanks for the continued replies. Printscreen. On the set up where the storm door is hinged oposite of the main door, do you have any issues getting to a good angle to lock/unlock the door? My one and only concern with that set up (my first image) is being able to shoulder the door open... fully open, to be able to lock/unlock. How does that factor in with you and your set up?
For those that have mentioned the wind, I'll definitely take notice the next time it's windy out.

Thanks again.

That particular door has the storm door inside as I said before but the entry door has a deadbolt without key on the inside (I hate needing a key to get out). It is actually a one hand and one foot movement that is done so quickly I don't pay attention to it. I just did it now paying attention to what exactly I do and is open the storm door with my left hand, hold the door with my left foot and then reach for the lock with my left hand. Sounds complex but takes less than one second to do. The storm door is wide open but against the wall, not making me get around the door in order to reach the entry door. Locking from inside involves holding the door by the handle with my left hand and locking the deadbolt with my right hand and the storm door resting in my left shoulder. Sounds complex but it isn't.

Going in it is way more practical in this way because you open the entry door to the left then enter the living room which is to the left also when you are goin in and the storm door opening to the right simply gets out of the way.

In your case, the entry door is inside and it opens to the left. When you are going out the storm door opens to the right and gets out of the way when going to the exterior walkway located to the left.

Edit:

There is another thing to consider in your particular case. I am right handed but can do this kind of task equally well with either hand. For instance, when going in, although the lock is on the right side it is more comfortable for me to open with the key using the left hand. In your case, depending on your left hand dexterity, if you have to use your right hand (opposite to the lock) to open with a key then the opposite hinge arrangement will be harder to use. If you can use a key with your left hand hand equally well (assuming you are right handed) then the opposite arrangement is the best.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to rustypixel

MVM

to rustypixel
I would use the upper diagram as my choice.

With the lower scenario, you would have to physically back-up while opening the storm door because of the wall, before getting access to the inner door.

printscreen
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen

said by jack b:

I would use the upper diagram as my choice.

With the lower scenario, you would have to physically back-up while opening the storm door because of the wall, before getting access to the inner door.

And walk around the storm door.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Both hinges on the same side. From your diagram I assume the front door's hinges are on the side closest to the tree. That would make the second drawing correct.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by AsherN:

That would make the second drawing correct.

What does that mean? That's the one you like?

printscreen
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to AsherN

to AsherN
There is no wrong or correct way on this. It all depends on placement and what's around.

vircotto
Premium Member
join:2002-06-04
searching...

vircotto to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Each version has its issues. I once had the situation as depicted in the top drawing and hated it. I always had to open the storm door more than 90° to get close enough to the edge of the interior door to open the lock with my right hand. It eventually broke the storm door.

The next storm door was installed like the lower diagram. As pointed out previously, you had to walk around it a bit, and it limited the angle of approach when attempting to carry in larger/longer objects, but I found that overall it worked better for me.

Good luck with your decision.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

said by AsherN:

That would make the second drawing correct.

What does that mean? That's the one you like?

That's the one that is more practical. you don't have to open one door fully to get to the other.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Diagram 1 makes for the easiest entry, and makes the most sense.

Frankg0
join:2005-03-09
Loudoun, VA

Frankg0 to rustypixel

to rustypixel
Option 1 works better, I lived in a house for 20+ years that was like the first diagram and it worked fine.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Did not see it pointed out, but remember that with the bottom drawing, although you did not provide any dimensions so I have to guess, you will have a hard time getting any furniture in and out through that area without taking the storm door down.

By using the first drawing, at the very worst, you might have to take the bracket for the closure off to get full width access through the main door and you could just block open the storm door. By using the second drawing, you would have to work the furniture onto the porch area, then open the storm door each time.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to rustypixel

MVM

to rustypixel
The hinges go on the same side. Otherwise, you have to prop the storm door all the way open and hold it with your butt while you try to unlock the interior door.
Think about it.
I've seen storm doors mounted opposite, and it's just awkward and strange.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to rustypixel

to rustypixel
Now you can see why it is just about useless to post such a question as this one.

Do it the way YOU want it to be.

rustypixel
Rustypixel
Old Bridge, NJ

rustypixel

I want to thank everyone for all the input/suggestions. It seems that I can go either way and that both layouts have equal pros and cons. I fully understand that there is no wrong or right way and I'll have to figure out which will work best for me. It's going to be hard because I have an equal amount of likes/dislikes for each set up. I have taken a look around the neighborhood and I've noticed that most that have storm doors and have the same entry that I do (townhouse development) have it hung with the hinge to the left. There are a couple that have it with the hing to the right to match the main door but the oposite is the majority. I plan to just ask them if I can check out their individual set ups and see which wins out for me.
I completely appreciate the time taken to throw some input my way. Thanks again everyone!

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by rustypixel:

I plan to just ask them if I can check out their individual set ups and see which wins out for me.

Huh? People still talk to thier neighbors? I have never heard of such a crazy thing to do! LOL

rustypixel
Rustypixel
Old Bridge, NJ

rustypixel

Yeah... I plan to approach with hands raised and a white flag to show that I don't mean harm.

printscreen
Juana Diaz, PR

to rustypixel
said by rustypixel:

I plan to just ask them if I can check out their individual set ups and see which wins out for me.

I think this will work way better than this forum. At least you can try out before you commit to putting your storm door.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs to rustypixel

Premium Member

to rustypixel
Option 2 might work if you have at least 4' between the storm door hinge and the window wall - otherwise you will find that you really don't have enough space to maneuver if carrying packages or bags.

If it were me, I'd dig out the bushes and relocate the doorway to that wall, and then install both doors with the hinges on the same side.