uniqs
BobSagget
join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON

1 edit

BobSagget to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: Hard Drive Deals

If you're quick, Dell.ca currently has the "WD My Book Essential 4TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive" for $169.99 (with free shipping of course).

If you are trying to get it even cheaper, you can try to price match with Futureshop/BestBuy/MemoryExpress.

MemoryExpress will get you the cheapest price. They do price match + 25% of difference. Whereas FS/BB is PM + 10%.
So $162.49 at Memory Express.
Don't forget to mention in the comments to price match the free shipping offer too (yes Memory Express will match shipping).

Dell link:
»accessories.dell.com/sna ··· QyHeLi7A

Memory Express (for price matching Dell):
»www.memoryexpress.com/Pr ··· /MX44005

Futureshop (for price matching Dell):
»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/ ··· 593.aspx

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I USB 2 not 3, and us 2x 2tb green drives inside not a 4tb drive.
If enclosed drives are a good deal I buy them and rip the drives out . At 85 / drive it's no deal and especially if there is no warranty.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's USB 3.0 and a single 4TB drive inside. It's this:

»www.storagereview.com/we ··· b_review

Very tempting price.
BobSagget
Barrie, ON

BobSagget to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
The WD My Book Essentials 4TB drive is USB 3.0 and is definitely NOT 2x 2TB drives. It's a single 4TB drive.
In fact the drive inside is a Hitachi HDS5C4040ALE630 Deskstar 5K4000 (SATA 6Gb/s, 5400 RPM, 32MB cache).
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by BobSagget:

The WD My Book Essentials 4TB drive is USB 3.0 and is definitely NOT 2x 2TB drives. It's a single 4TB drive.
In fact the drive inside is a Hitachi HDS5C4040ALE630 Deskstar 5K4000 (SATA 6Gb/s, 5400 RPM, 32MB cache).

I bought one of those. I had a hard time finding an internal 4tb drive that wasn't super expensive. I bought one of those externals and took it apart and took out the drive. So far its working pretty good (I put into my popcorn hour networked media tank).
BobSagget
Barrie, ON

BobSagget

said by zod5000:

said by BobSagget:

I bought one of those. I had a hard time finding an internal 4tb drive that wasn't super expensive. I bought one of those externals and took it apart and took out the drive. So far its working pretty good (I put into my popcorn hour networked media tank).

Yeah, the bare drives are insanely expensive.
I would have gotten in on this 4TB deal if i had just recently (as in yesterday) purchased a 3TB Seagate from NewEgg for $109.

First thing I plan to do is rip out the drive, place it in my NAS and put an old 1TB drive in the case.

Supposedly we're to see 5TB drives introduced by WD in Q4 of 2013. So hopefully by the time I need space again 5TB drives will be on the market and they won't be ridiculously expensive.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I was on my phone and saw USB 2, I stand corrected.

SOLD, I ordered one.. 4tb at that price is hard to beat.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Going to rip the drive out or use it as is?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

Going to rip the drive out or use it as is?

Rip it out.. no use for it in a case.