Search similar:

uniqs
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

Rack mount patch Cat 6 panel in back, switch in front?

I have a Tripp Lite 9U rack, with 3 2U Cat 6 patch panels and 3 1U switches, but would like a bit of extra room to hold some PoE injectors. The rack came with 2 vertical rails, and they allow me to mount my stuff.

The rack is in an attic, and a 12U probably wouldn't fit at the location the patch panels are at (it would be too tall). Mounting switches in front of the patch panels would give me 3 U spare, which would be helpful.

Does Tripp Lite supply a spare set of vertical mounting rails? I can't seem to find them anywhere. My goal would be to have the switches mounted in front (they are 1/2 length, somewhat small switches) of the patch panel, inside the rack.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

I must say, I've never seen a 4 post cabinet with mounting holes only in the front.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
A picture is worth........something.

Is this the 'rack' you are using?

If so, I'm guessing you want 2 more '(C) Vertical Mounting Rails' and would probably need to get them from Triplite.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

If that is the rack, I doubt TrippLite will have additional vertical rails as it's a comms rack, designed to be wall mounted.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
another question (or two or three)

how hot is it going to get in the attic?

how cold is it going to get?

are you going to be using hardened switches?
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by tomdlgns:

It doesn't seem to get below freezing in the winter, but I may stick an wireless thermostat that can be monitored in the attic to get a better handle on extremes.

The switches are sealed and have no fans. The switch is here - »www.tp-link.us/products/ ··· 24D#spec the .pdf spec sheet is here - »www.tp-link.us/Resources ··· heet.pdf the version I have is V2 (there are 3 versions, V1 had a fan). Operating temperature is 32-104F (0-40C). Storage temp is -40F to +158F (-40C to 70C).

I like that the units are sealed and have no fan. The operating and storage temperatures seem pretty good. They cost $90 a piece, and are 24 port unmanaged gigabit switches.

If they can't handle the attic, I'll run cables from the patch panel about 8' to a climate controlled room in the main house.

Don't know if the switches are hardened, I tend to doubt it, as that would likely be a major selling point. They are across from one of the 4 ton air handlers and may benefit from some heat / cool leakage that seems almost unavoidable. The attic is sealed at the ceiling (under the rack) and above (in the attic rafters). Below is R21, above is R38. The home is in Connecticut.

Not certain if that answers your questions. My guess is you'll be telling me the units won't work due to the attic climate. You may be correct, in which case I'll move the switches 8', and if they get fried, I'm out $270.

I found rails that may suffice for my need. These would be the Kendall Howard 9U Vertical Rail Kit. Not certain if it'll work, but for $37, it seems worth a try.

Would you like me to report back my experience?

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

If that is the rack, I doubt TrippLite will have additional vertical rails as it's a comms rack, designed to be wall mounted.

The enclosure may have, as one of its options, been designed to be wall mounted but it also has options for casters to allow it to roll around on the floor, or sit on a bench, even go in an attic.

How ever it is mounted or rolled or sits, the vertical equipment rails are adjustable from front to back, not fixed. As such, probably removable. Obtaining a spare/repair set may be difficult but not impossible. They must have a supplier to make them for the originals.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
said by pandora:

said by tomdlgns:

Not certain if that answers your questions. My guess is you'll be telling me the units won't work due to the attic climate.

nope, wasn't going to say that, just curious.

heat kills electronics. if they were hardened, that means they were designed for the elements. regardless, i think they will work, but they probably wont last as long as they would if they were in a regular environment.

being that they are not outside, i think you should be ok.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

I think you are just asking for problems mounting the equipment in the attic. I am not as optimistic as others, I believe the heat in the summer time will exceed the ratings. If they don't out right fail they will present intermittent problems prior to totally failing.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by Hank:

I think you are just asking for problems mounting the equipment in the attic. I am not as optimistic as others, I believe the heat in the summer time will exceed the ratings. If they don't out right fail they will present intermittent problems prior to totally failing.

no doubt attics are hot, but i have seen some pretty weird/odd/irregular setups and i was amazed that regular equipment was getting the job done.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
said by Hank:

After my 2nd rack is set up, I'll have a server with Homeseer home automation software on it. This will allow me to sense temperatures. I'll look for as inexpensive, but supported a thermostat that I can find. If the temperature exceeds 110, I'll have it send me a text / email, and note the exception, then install some 8' cables to run down to the climate controlled (in house) rack. It was $35.

I'll report back if anyone is interested. I found an extra vertical rail kit, it's a Kendall Howard 9U Vertical Rail Kit. Not certain if it'll work in the Tripp Lite rack, but maybe worth a try.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I do hope it works out for you. The Triplite wall mount rack is very nice. I hope you are able to install the additional rails without issue.
Please report back in the fall after you have experienced a summer. By the way what state do you live in?
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

I live in Connecticut.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Thanks. Best wishes on the project.
switchman
join:1999-11-06

switchman to pandora

to pandora
While they will probably work for a while, you may have issues with them in the summer. Below are the specs. They are convection cooled.

Operating Temperature: 0~40 (32~104);
Operating Humidity: 10%~90% non-condensing;

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to pandora

MVM

to pandora
said by pandora:

I like that the units are sealed and have no fan.

they may not have any vents, but that switch isn't sealed. Air can still move into the case, and with that, condensation. That can be as big if not bigger issue than just the temp.

Also if you live near the ocean, salty air can also be a real problem for exposed electronics. Not saying there to change your plans, but just trying to inform.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

If the switches fail, I'm out $270.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

said by pandora:

when the switches fail, I'm out $270.

Fixed that for you
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

said by pandora:

when the switches fail, I'm out $270.

Fixed that for you

Everything eventually fails or becomes obsolete. These are IP 4 gigabit switches. Their lifespan is likely less than 3-5 years before becoming obsolete.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

They will fail much before that in the attic.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

They will fail much before that in the attic.

We shall find out.

MichaelF
@bombardier.com

MichaelF

Anon

Hi Pandora, I am in the same situation looking for extra vertical rails compatible with Tripp's enclosures. Please share your experiences with Kendall!