share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Nvidia asks users not to play Tomb Raider until optimized

An Nvidia statement that was picked up and reported on by Tech Report, says that "we recommend you do not test Tomb Raider until all of the above issues have been resolved."

AMD was working closely with Crystal Dynamics to optimize the game for AMD cards, but perhaps as a consequence to the AMD Gaming Evolved partnership, Nvidia was (unfairly?) cut out of the loop until two days prior to release.

As a result, the game--already taxing to high-end AMD cards--runs horribly under Nvidia cards.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1

Isn't this kind of how "The way it's meant to be played." works, too?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I guess, but I haven't heard of one manufacturer being withheld access to release code until two days before release.

Nvidia is up front with telling people that driver optimizations alone won't fix everything, and that Crystal Dynamics will have to provide additional coding to the game engine to make it work better under Nvidia hardware.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok

Even if/when the drivers get better it wont fix everything. AMD's gpu have better compute performance than nvidia, which is what tressfx uses according to the youtube videos I've seen on it.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

My point was Nvidia is usually the one playing hardball. But alas we've only heard one side of the story though.

On another note: I've been playing it and the game looks great even on "high" settings.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I haven't picked it up yet--is it worth the price, or better nabbed in a Steam sale?

I am 100% involved in MechWarrior Online right now, and SC2.5 is coming out next week to boot.
--

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

I think it's best to wait for a steam sale (maybe this summer?). I don't see single player having any replay value but I may try the multiplayer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

Part of the problem may now be fixed: »techreport.com/news/24479/tomb-r···a-issues

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok

From what I've been reading around the net, it seems that people with 600 series cards are experiencing issues with this game.

I have 2x560Ti in SLI and I have yet to have a single problem with TR. But yet when doing some reading I'm seeing people with 660's, 670's and 680's all with these glaring issues. Weird.

As for the actual game... It's awesome!

Gandalf4503

join:2002-06-27
Cohoes, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Part of the problem may now be fixed: »techreport.com/news/24479/tomb-r···a-issues

That update was out this weekend and it didn't do anything for me. I still crash randomly. Probably going to need a driver update from Nvidia and a couple more patches on the game itself before it's stable for us.