Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Nvidia asks users not to play Tomb Raider until optimized

An Nvidia statement that was picked up and reported on by Tech Report, says that "we recommend you do not test Tomb Raider until all of the above issues have been resolved."

AMD was working closely with Crystal Dynamics to optimize the game for AMD cards, but perhaps as a consequence to the AMD Gaming Evolved partnership, Nvidia was (unfairly?) cut out of the loop until two days prior to release.

As a result, the game--already taxing to high-end AMD cards--runs horribly under Nvidia cards.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer

Premium Member

Isn't this kind of how "The way it's meant to be played." works, too?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I guess, but I haven't heard of one manufacturer being withheld access to release code until two days before release.

Nvidia is up front with telling people that driver optimizations alone won't fix everything, and that Crystal Dynamics will have to provide additional coding to the game engine to make it work better under Nvidia hardware.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Even if/when the drivers get better it wont fix everything. AMD's gpu have better compute performance than nvidia, which is what tressfx uses according to the youtube videos I've seen on it.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
My point was Nvidia is usually the one playing hardball. But alas we've only heard one side of the story though.

On another note: I've been playing it and the game looks great even on "high" settings.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I haven't picked it up yet--is it worth the price, or better nabbed in a Steam sale?

I am 100% involved in MechWarrior Online right now, and SC2.5 is coming out next week to boot.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I think it's best to wait for a steam sale (maybe this summer?). I don't see single player having any replay value but I may try the multiplayer.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Part of the problem may now be fixed: »techreport.com/news/2447 ··· a-issues

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
From what I've been reading around the net, it seems that people with 600 series cards are experiencing issues with this game.

I have 2x560Ti in SLI and I have yet to have a single problem with TR. But yet when doing some reading I'm seeing people with 660's, 670's and 680's all with these glaring issues. Weird.

As for the actual game... It's awesome!
Gandalf4503
join:2002-06-27
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Part of the problem may now be fixed: »techreport.com/news/2447 ··· a-issues

That update was out this weekend and it didn't do anything for me. I still crash randomly. Probably going to need a driver update from Nvidia and a couple more patches on the game itself before it's stable for us.