uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

What features do IP phones provide?

A lot of us are in the dark about what benefits IP phones have over softphones besides the fact you're not tethered to the computer like you are with a softphone.
What about text message reception? Can they display those?
And do they usually display the caller ID of a previous caller and allow you to hit a DIAL button to return their call without inputing the number in manually? That saves some time when returning lots of calls.
What about IM messages? Do any models display MSN, Gmail, Yahoo, Facebook chat messages?
And does the cost generally escalate with the number of lines offered? I'm looking to get a 3 or 4 line model I think.
And what about adding extension phones? I won't be using cordless but can you link IP phones together easily and should they be the same model or at least the same manufacturer?

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

Great questions, I wonder about those, too. I would say that one major advantage over a softphone would be allowing your computer to be shut down (not an issue if it's up 24/7 anyway) or sleep. Plus, a phone handset is usually easier to handle than a computer headset.

tazzman

join:2009-03-27
Garnavillo, IA
reply to dsl2u

I know Grandstream has a new Phone out that runs Android. I would like to think it has some of the features you made mention of. »www.grandstream.com/index.php/pr···/gxp2200

djones70mcse

join:2001-12-24
Gulfport, MS

I have a GXP2200 and love it so far. It really is an amazing device. Some of the online telephony retailers carry it for significantly less than MSRP. I have a raspberry pi running Incredible PBX fastened to the stand under the phone. Highly recommended!

tazzman

join:2009-03-27
Garnavillo, IA

djones70mcse
Are you acquainted with an IPPPX that can be flashed onto a Router?

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2

said by tazzman:

djones70mcse
Are you acquainted with an IPPPX that can be flashed onto a Router?

Depending upon the specs of your router, Asterisk on DD-WRT/OpenWRT.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice
reply to dsl2u

These threads may be worth your time to read:

»Advantages of an IP phone or an ATA/typical phone?
»[Equipment] ATA Vs IP-Phone
»IP Phone vs Analogue Phone + ATA

My SPA921 (now discontinued) does display Caller ID and does allow me to return calls from it.

Some IP phones can display text messages, (I believe Aastra is one manufacturer that supports this) but this is not commonly supported by VoIP service providers. If this is important to you, you may want to investigate Anveo and see if it meets your requirements.

I'm unaware of an IP phone compatible with MSN, Gmail, Yahoo, and Facebook chat. But you can install a softphone on a tablet, iPod Touch, or smartphone, and effectively turn it into an IP phone. The performance should be fairly good over wi-fi.

To use multiple extension phones, you have a few options (in order of easiest to hardest.)
1) A Gigaset or similar system that allows you to add handsets.
2) A VoIP service provider that allows you to use multiple devices.
3) Your own IP PBX.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

> My SPA921.....

I just noticed in that My SPA921 spec sheet it has a 2.5mm headset jack. This is rather brilliant and allows users to use their cell phone headset on their IP phone. I wonder how common this is? I wonder how easy it is to change the jack from a typical handset jack on a phone to a 2.5mm headset jack (whereas the typical earbud jack is 3.5mm). 2.5mm jacks tend to have thread like wires which seem very difficult to work with.

dsl2u

CANADA
reply to Mango

Often in discussions regarding IP phones people mention PBX's. Why? I thought you program your IP phone with the VOIP information necessary and plug it into the router.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12

I suspect that hobby users and business users are the most likely to use an IP phone, and also the most likely to use a PBX. You can of course register an IP phone directly to a service provider.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Since you can get DID #'s for free or close to it, I definitely am buying a multi-line phone. Is there any need for a PBX for that? There will be maybe 1 extension phone but its just me answering it in 1 of 2 locations. I was thinking that a PBX maybe allows easier transfer of calls. That wouldn't be necessary in most home setups.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to dsl2u

said by dsl2u:

Often in discussions regarding IP phones people mention PBX's. Why? I thought you program your IP phone with the VOIP information necessary and plug it into the router.

said by dsl2u:

Since you can get DID #'s for free or close to it, I definitely am buying a multi-line phone. Is there any need for a PBX for that? There will be maybe 1 extension phone but its just me answering it in 1 of 2 locations. I was thinking that a PBX maybe allows easier transfer of calls. That wouldn't be necessary in most home setups.

To me, it's a matter of features and convenience.

The PBX registers to multiple accounts at multiple providers (CallCentric, VoIP.MS, GoogleVoice, Skype).

All of our devices (computers, smartphones, tablets, and ata's) register to the PBX.

A new number/account only needs to be added at the PBX, as opposed to individual devices.

A call to our main phone numbers/accounts between 7 am and 9 pm will ring all of the smartphones, tablets, and ata's, otherwise, it rings my devices only.

Calls to individual numbers/accounts only ring the desired devices (between 7 am and 9 pm), otherwise, it goes to voice mail.

I can answer a Skype call on an analog phone (via ata).

Individual voice mail.

Outbound call routing (wife's devices _always_ uses CallCentric).

Hotel style wake up calls.

Call forwarding to cell phones.

White listing / black listing of phone numbers.

Some calls (such as IPKall's verification that a given number is still in use, or after a change to a sip uri) always go to voice mail.

Calls from unknown phone numbers go through Interactive Voice Response (voice menus).

Repeat calls from telemarketers get a Special Information Tone (We're sorry, you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service).