All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to frostyhawk

to frostyhawk

Re: [Internet] Primus is not a company to work with.

I can assure you it's not Primus' fault, it's all Bell.

I too was on their ATM network and saw ~1Mbps speeds in the evenings with 1000+ms of latency, but not once did I blame Primus. It took Bell more than four months to fix it. Since then I've been moved to their Ethernet aggregated network and the most I see is some occasional packet loss in the evenings, but nothing like the problems forstyhawk and fred999 are experiencing.

I've been with Primus since Feb. 2005, and they've been great for me.

CrazyCanuckz
@reliablehosting.com

CrazyCanuckz

Anon

Primus tech support was always terrible for me. Because of them i lost 3 weeks of internet which I paid for because they didn't know what they were doing.
Tech support trying to explain how to setup internet was terrible I simply figured out on my own.
Primus phone service went out about 4 times a year.
They used to have a low bandwidth cap, they told me when I close to the cap they will email me. Never got a phone call or email. So they throttled my internet slower than dialup speed. Even with this they had the never boot me offline temporarily. I got so fed up I called and complained but no apologies. So I signed with rogers which is a big mistake.
fred999
join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON

fred999 to xsbell

to xsbell
said by xsbell:

I can assure you it's not Primus' fault, it's all Bell.

I too was on their ATM network and saw ~1Mbps speeds in the evenings with 1000+ms of latency, but not once did I blame Primus. It took Bell more than four months to fix it. Since then I've been moved to their Ethernet aggregated network and the most I see is some occasional packet loss in the evenings, but nothing like the problems forstyhawk and fred999 are experiencing.

I've been with Primus since Feb. 2005, and they've been great for me.

In my case it was not Bell. On my last attempt at working with them, I wasted a whole Friday evening doing around 70 speedtests, to show them the extent of the problem, and how it suddenly improved around 11.30pm.

No response until 10 days later (by which time I had finally cancelled), and then he called back and left a message saying "we found the problem and we are in the process of upgrading our network", and I "might" continue to experience slowness until it's done.

I interpret that as a congestion problem on the Primus network. After four months of calling and working with them, that was the first time anyone had admitted to anything. Prior to that it was deny, deny, deny, and point at Bell, and anything else the tech could think of.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

1 edit

xsbell

said by fred999:

In my case it was not Bell. On my last attempt at working with them, I wasted a whole Friday evening doing around 70 speedtests, to show them the extent of the problem, and how it suddenly improved around 11.30pm.

No response until 10 days later (by which time I had finally cancelled), and then he called back and left a message saying "we found the problem and we are in the process of upgrading our network", and I "might" continue to experience slowness until it's done.

I interpret that as a congestion problem on the Primus network. After four months of calling and working with them, that was the first time anyone had admitted to anything. Prior to that it was deny, deny, deny, and point at Bell, and anything else the tech could think of.

I agree that some of the level1 support reps aren't the greatest, that is why I always open a ticket online (through e-Care), so you don't need to call them, and it allows you to add all of your speed tests, latency tests, and any issues you might be having, right in the ticket.

Did they ever tell you to use test@test, password: test, as your PPPoE credentials and then run latency tests to Bell's local BRAS (10.x.x.1)? (latency will rise if you're on their ATM network and there's congestion)

Did you ever try reconnecting to hopefully land on a less saturated link from Bell's BAS/LAC to Primus' routers?

Like HeadSpinning said, there are too many variables to pin point the exact issue, but if it was Primus, there would be a lot more people on here complaining, including myself.

And you never did mention if you were on GAS or an unbundled loop, I'm guessing GAS though.
fred999
join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON

4 edits

fred999

said by usuckbellI agree that some of the level1 support reps aren't the greatest, that is why I always open a ticket online (through e-Care), so you don't need to call them, and it allows you to add all of your speed tests, latency tests, and any issues you might be having, right in the ticket.

Did they ever tell you to use test@test, password: test, as your PPPoE credentials and then run latency tests to Bell's local BRAS (10.x.x.1)? (latency will rise if you're on their ATM network and there's congestion)

Did you ever try reconnecting to hopefully land on a less saturated link from Bell's BAS/LAC to Primus' routers?

Like HeadSpinning said, there are too many variables to pin point the exact issue, but if it was Primus, there would be a lot more people on here complaining, including myself.

And you never did mention if you were on GAS or an unbundled loop, I'm guessing GAS though.

No they didn't suggest any of those tests, during the 10 calls I made during the almost 4 months I tried.

They did move me off an old Magma server and onto a Primus server, but that didn't help, obviously.

My ping was always ok - between 30 and 80 every time, usually around 50, it was only the speed that sucked - enough to browse, but not to download.

Several times it went to level 2, but who knows what they did. Twice a Bell tech came and measured stuff, and said everything was clean, and apparently made changes. Interestingly, aftor both times Bell made a change, the speed went back to normal for two days, then on the third day the speed went back to below 1meg, but again, like clockwork, only between 7pm and 11.30pm.

When the supervisor left me the message "we found the problem and we are in the process of upgrading our network", how else to interpret that? He said "our" network. If it was Bell's network, I'm pretty sure he would have emphasized that it's a Bell problem, not "our" problem".