Re: How to detect..

said by aefstoggaflm:

#1 Since the router is using WAP2 Personal, what level is that:

a) AES

OR

b) TKIP

c) OR both AES and TKIP

--Both

#2 While I know you turn off the Wii, did you disconnect the power to it too?
--Oh yes, both!

#3 When you get home OR use LogMeIn: In the Linksys router go to Administration -> Management

#4 UPnP in the router is turned off?
--Should it be?

#5 Remote Router Access in the router is turned off?
--yes

#6 When you get home OR use LogMeIn: In the Linksys router go to Administration -> Log

#7 Enable the log, if the log is not already enabled.

--Just when I was reading this, I was also re-enabling this.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by SeanG:

said by aefstoggaflm:

#3 When you get home OR use LogMeIn: In the Linksys router go to Administration -> Management

#4 UPnP in the router is turned off?

--Should it be?

Well, let me explain some info..

#1 Assuming that UPnP was off - if you want users upstream of your router to connect through your router to your computer behind your router you must log-in to your router and forward ports to the computer that is behind your router that you want them to connect to.

There are guides on-line you can find how to do that, if you are interested...

#2 As long as a program ( for example uTorrent ) or a system ( example most network cameras and DVRs ) allows you to define the port ( or ports ) that, that program/system uses (regardless if that program/system supports UPnP or not), then you do not need to use UPnP to allow users upstream of your router to connect through your router to your computer behind your router.

#3 If a program OR a system (for example Xbox) does not allow you to define the ports that, that program/system uses and you have at least two of those programs/systems that support UPnP and if you have only one public IP, using UPnP I have heard/read is the only way to get those apps/systems to work.

For example if talking about the Xbox or on the Playstation: With only one public IP and without using UPnP, good luck on getting Open NAT (on the Playstation it called NAT Type 2).

#4 Using UPnP allows you to open ports in the router automatic without asked for the router's control (with most Linksys the default password is admin) password.

#5 If you call number four above bad, that is the least of issues about UPnP..

a) I point to »www.h-online.com/securit ··· 727.html

b) To test to be sure UPnP is not enabled on the WAN Side:

a) Go to grc.com -> Services -> Shield's Up.

b) Read the page.

c) Click on proceed

d) Say ok to the alert about switching from https (SSL) to http (non SSL), as need be.

e) Click on GRC's Intstant UPnP Exposure Test

Please note: There are other websites that allow you to check if UPnP is enabled on the WAN side, but I have not seen any others that are free from Java Script.

For example with »upnp-check.rapid7.com/ I had to have Java Script turned on and with NoScript I had to trust rapid7.com