Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

High Recevied Numbers in Ethernet status area

Click for full size
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Avast 8.0.1483

Very High Received Numbers in WIndows 8 Pro 64bit Ethernet status area, and keeps climbing, Avast says i'm clean, so does Malwarebytes

Do Have Second life connected currently, 3rd party viewer Firestorm, but not doing much in there, just standing there currently.

I guess can do a boot scan with Avast, and also one later with Windows Defender Offline Scanner (via usb flash drive)

Is it missing something?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

Download a copy of TCPView from SysInternals and see if there's a process downloading something.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI

Alot of AvastSvc.exe, localhost

Firestorm-release

svchost.exe

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I'm not sure what you're saying. Set TCPView to auto-refresh and watch the "Received Bytes" column. Any process receiving lots of stuff should be immediately obvious.

Perhaps one those processes is downloading an update.

BTW svchost.exe is just a place-holder for some service. You have to dig deeper to find out what service.
--

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Click for full size
Looks to be really Firestorm-release causing it now

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

And the packets are UDP not TCP. I don't know anything about Firestorm-release or why it would be receiving so many UDP packets.
--

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI

Me either, just noticied that recently, program hasn't updated in a while either, so at a loss of why it's doing that at the moment.

Firestorm support had no answers either so far

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

UDP is usually used for streaming video or audio. Perhaps you should kill that process with "maximum prejudice".
--

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Killed the auto playing of streaming audio and music in that program, set for media security now, which gives option to allow or deny certain streams and such.

Hopefully that reduces it, and all that, thankfully at&t isn't monitoring my capped dsl as yet--or i might be way over 150gbs lol, been doing that for like over a week now, before i decided to ask and find out the cause

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

Well frankly I wouldn't allow any software to be receiving large amounts of data without my consent and especially if I didn't know why it was doing it.

Some years ago I had a Sony laptop that had pre-installed software that was constantly scanning every file on the system (it wasn't an A/V). Once I tracked it down it was un-installed very quickly. Sony has a history of pulling that sh**.
--

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit

Yeah i may switch to the Offical Secondlife Viewer, but that may do the same lol behavior

I'm debating on leaving in HP support Assistant at this time, HP recommends leaving that in..but not sure yet.

Firestorm-release i use daily (3D Game with Driving and music, and video and such)

As for Antivirus am considering using just Windows Defender in Windows 8 Pro 64bit, might start cleaning up most of my 3rd party Apps lol