join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Ti

Premium Member

to Ti

Re: [TekTalk] NEW TekTalk PROMO - Digital Home Phone

said by Ti :

said by MFido:

Good luck with that on finding an analog POTS service cheaper than Teksavvy.

Naturally I've already been looking. And I *did* find a cheaper one, as part of a bundle/promo. So TSI might lose me altogether - which is sad.
said by AkFubar:

Looks like I won't be upgrading my dsl service that pretty well wipes out my dsl savings and then some.

Exactly. A net loss. I am truly tired of my Teksavvy bill going up...
said by TSI Marc:

you should switch to TekTalk and save a bunch

Yeah, wink-wink at your hope to financially disincentivize POTS. It's also a little underhanded; as seen here in this thread - often people who have it, really need it (as is the case for me).

At least with a provider who offers a contract, I can hope to negotiate these ad hoc increases at the end of a given term. This leaves me with a bad feeling about your company, Marc. Even if I were to go VOIP, I'd go with the unbeatable voip.ms.

What else can I say? I'm busting my balls trying to help dude. I can't explain to you exactly why it's going up but it really does need to go up. It's needed to go up for a while. I was waiting for the CRTC decision to do it all at once.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

There are definitely advantages of having multiple devices tied to one voice account. Whether it be via landline or cellular or voip. Fire alarms, burgler alarms, medical alert alarms - those are especially important for people in special care or the elderly at risk from falls.

What happens if your cell phone is lost or stolen? You can't call your provider to suspend your service without borrowing someone else's phone. Then the battery drains so fast you have to carry two in your wallet. Having only one device can be stressful.

petah
join:2002-07-27
L9T

petah to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

What else can I say? I'm busting my balls trying to help dude. I can't explain to you exactly why it's going up but it really does need to go up. It's needed to go up for a while. I was waiting for the CRTC decision to do it all at once.

Reading between the lines ... Bell is raising the whole sale POTS price because too many customers are flocking to Teksavvy's POTS service thus hitting the ceiling of signed agreement. Bell is pissed off it cannot charge these customers $15/month extra for a feature such as caller ID.

That's too bad... the POTS price has always been the same. Maybe the price increase should have been gradual at 50 cents a year instead of $4 bucks all at once which is about 20% increase.

How much exactly is it going up by? I am paying $18.35 + $3.13 touch tone/911 fee totaling $21.48 before taxes.

Ti
@teksavvy.com

Ti to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

[Not a dude, but point taken.]

I don't know what's so challenging to explain, but you needn't. It seems like you're penalizing the POTS customers you so avidly coveted only a few years ago. Okay.

But I'm not one of those people who takes to the internet to complain at the drop of a hat. I'm just looking at numbers - and my TS bill has leaped upwards by ~30% in the past couple years... waaaayy out of proportion with my other bills. And now this basic service will also cost more? I've been a loyal customer (multiple referrals, etc. etc.) but this really is the final straw for me.

And I'm told that if I switch POTS providers but keep TS DSL, I must pay the $50 charge? That leaves me *no* incentive to keep your internet service! It all puts me in a very bad position as a customer, and I doubt I'm alone.

You may want to reconsider grandfathering the old POTS rates. Or provide some kind of programme to ameliorate this new, 'unexplainable' cost. You haven't incentivized Tektalk here, you've disincentivized Teksavvy.
Ti

Ti to petah

Anon

to petah
said by petah:

Maybe the price increase should have been gradual at 50 cents a year instead of $4 bucks all at once which is about 20% increase.

^This.

And that goes for the last two Teksavvy DSL price increases, too (recall one was to help finance co-lo!?). They were both double-digit % increases - leaving aside those of us in Quebec suffering the QST.

It's too much.

cognizantt6
join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC

1 edit

cognizantt6 to Ti

to Ti
actually, he hasn't disincentivized tektalk or TSI for me.

dsl will have a modest drop of 2.29/mo total for me.

i pay 32.12$ total monthly for a landline, no services, with bell.
when the price for the new ata they want to offer goes up, it's time i drop bell and go to tektalk umlimited.

again, modest savings monthly 5.42$/mo.
7.73$ in my pocket.
no it's not a lot.

cost of the switch to tektalk gets recovered soon enuf on what i save and i'm off bell for good.

tektalk will get me a helluva lot more at a lower price than my no services landline.

i dropped videotron/tv some months back, put 34$/mo back in my pocket. what few shows i used to watch on tv i just download now. why pay for something that i didn't need.

41.73$ total in my pocket now.

yes, tsi dsl has gone up (base price, then having to start paying quebec sales tax) but i'm better off once i switch to tektalk than i was when i started with tsi 3.5 yrs ago.

dsl consumption rarely exceeds 125gb/mo. so i'm not a hardcore bandwidth user. generally it's 75 to 125gb max.

bell landline/videotron tv/tsi dsl ran me 88.33$ total january 2011 - tsi takes care of all 3 now, once i add tektalk, for 66.33$ (incl taxes).

having 1/4 less cost 2 yrs later for 3 services pretty much keeps me loyal to tsi.

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P

Cognizantt: Please use spaces and something resembling a paragraph because I couldn't muster the energy to read it.

*Edit: Much better now, thank you!

cognizantt6
join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC

cognizantt6

deleted

Ti
@teksavvy.com

Ti to cognizantt6

Anon

to cognizantt6
said by cognizantt6:

actually, he hasn't disincentivized tektalk or TSI for me.

That's great - for you.

It should've been clear from the conversation that for people with POTS/DSL this is a sour deal. In fact, a punitive price increase on one service in order to push people to another is just a little bit ... uncool.