spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

acearl

join:2007-10-15
Arlington, VA

[Northeast] Upgrading an MDU from BPON to GPON for Quantum FiOS?

I live in a condo building in the Northern VA/DC metro area that has a BPON unit in the basement providing FiOS to a 19-unit building. As a result, the fastest Internet tier we can order is 20/10 (which seems to operate at 25/15ish speeds). The unit in the basement hooks into the existing coax for television server, and provides data through a local VDSL2 loop. (I'm not sure about voice since I have a Double Play package.)

Since I'm on the condo board, I'm trying to figure out who to talk to at Verizon in order to have the equipment upgraded to a GPON. I think it kinda makes sense to upgrade the hardware considering 16/19 units are FiOS subscribers, and Comcast is upgrading their tiers to the point where their speeds will be faster than what FiOS can provide.

I know MDU GPON ONT's exist with VDSL2 outputs since I've seen them available online via Google. (»www.dninetworks.com/product.aspx···objId=17)

I've tried going through the Verizon rep for apartment/condo buildings, and also through the normal 1-800-VERIZON channels, but I keep on getting the runaround. Not sure what to try next at this juncture.

Who can I talk to to get the ball rolling with getting the equipment upgraded in the building? Is this something that Verizon would pay for, or would the building have to cover it? It's getting annoying that my friends in other buildings/single family homes are paying the same amount as me for FiOS service but are getting much faster Internet. Plus if people see they can get faster speeds elsewhere for the same price, they'll end up dropping FiOS.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: [Northeast] Upgrading an MDU from BPON to GPON for Quantum F

Gpon wouldn't do anything for you, your speed tier is limited by the VSDL2. You would have to get onts in each unit to see increased speeds, and for most, build out is over. While one should never say never, it highly unlikely, even if you knew the right person to contact, that they would make any changes as they don't have a budget for it.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to acearl

As guppy-fish said, the maximum GPON VDSL2 speed on FiOS is 50/10 - that isn't considered the Quantum tier.

The only way around this is to rewire the building to provide either CAT5 to each living unit or fiber to each living unit. If the building was deemed too difficult to wire using either CAT5 or fiber to each living unit during the initial FiOS engineering, VDSL was the last choice.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

Assuming the coax for each unit is a home run, couldn't they go MoCA?

/M

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY

No, MoCA WAN is only available from an SFU ONT, and it can only be used for 1 BHR. You can't share MoCA WAN across more than 1 customer.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

said by nycdave:

You can't share MoCA WAN across more than 1 customer.

said by mackey:

Assuming the coax for each unit is a home run

Home run = each unit has its own dedicated cable. I never said anything about sharing it. The idea would be each unit gets its own ONT (or a special MDU ONT designed for this) and run the WAN over each units' dedicated coax cable.

/M

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY

No such MDU ONT exists that Verizon uses, so this isn't possible.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to acearl

It's either your landlord or Verizon that decide to use VDSL2 for FiOS in your building. You can find out from your landlord if it was his choice or if VZ made the decision that it was too hard to run fiber to each individual unit.

If VZ made the choice then it won't be reversed. As nycdave See Profile said running fiber to each individual unit is the preferred option followed by CAT5 and VDSL is the last resort. If fiber and CAT5 were both deemed not possible by VZ then you're out of luck with FiOS getting faster speeds. However, if your landlord made the decision that VZ couldn't run new fiber/CAT5 lines and instead reuse the phone wiring for VDSL then it might be possible to have it changed; but only with cooperation from your landlord and VZ engineering.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

The OP is in a condo and stated that he is on the condo board. As such, he should know or be able to find out from the board why the building was wired for VDSL. Either VZ determined it was not feasible to run fiber, or the condo board vetoed running fiber to each unit.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

cvinatoru

join:2008-11-16
Middle Village, NY
reply to acearl

I am on the condo board of a 27 unit condo in NYC and had the opposite experience. Verizon wanted to run fiber to each unit from the beginning.

Some of the board members opposed and I tried to determine Verizon to install MDU ONT with VDSL2 over existing wiring. Verizon never accepted to do that. Their argument was that they cannot control the quality of existing internal wiring, thus cannot guarantee proper operation. It was fiber to the unit or no FIOS. Luckily, in the end we succeeded to convince a majority of unit owner to accept installation of fiber to each unit, overruling the board, and I am glad we did that. Now we can order the higher tiers (we are on GPON). Verizon did a nice job. They used exposed 3M 12-fiber cables, which is barely visible in the hallways.

Based on our experience, I assume that most probably Verizon determined that VDSL2 is the only acceptable solution in your case. They don't push VDSL2 unless they have no other choice.

acearl

join:2007-10-15
Arlington, VA
reply to More Fiber

Yes, I recently became part of the condo board and pushed FiOS to be brought to the building after it was first built just 6-7 years ago.

Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to retrofit ethernet and/or fiber so that ONTs can be placed in each unit just due to the brick construction and how things are already wired. MoCA via Coax theoretically could be an option for every unit as each unit has its own feed in the basement. However, that could mess with the MoCA that exists in devices such as TiVo.

However, I've been doing some research and it seems that the newer Alcatel/Lucent GPON MDU ONTs do support 100 and 200 Mbps transfer rates over VDSL2 (profiles 17a and 30a) with their new 7342 and 7352 ISAM ONT product lines. Hopefully Verizon will adopt these or something similar, and Quantum FiOS can become a possibility over VDSL2.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY

As I said earlier, the MDU GPON VDSL2 ONT's Verizon uses are not capable of any speeds higher than 50/10 - even from Alcatel/Lucent....

There are no plans to try and improve VDSL2 speeds on FiOS.

AnonBob

@verizon.net

I am in a building where the fios vdsl goes up to 30/5 max. Anybody know what verizon plans to do with us? How would you contact verizon engineering to ask about an upgrade? Comcast now offers 105/20 in my building. I'd really prefer quantum though.