share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

[Laptop] My new lappy not shutting down or loading up well:

So a couple weeks ago I received my new laptop (a modest Lenovo G580) and it booted up quick and shut down fast too. Well, after that time, bootup and shutdown weren't working. Shutdown, after waiting 10 minutes, I had to hold down the power button and force it.

Then I remembered something: Comcast's Constant Guard security suite had given me fits on another system until someone told me about it. It sucks, if Gordon Ramsay was a software engineer, he'd shut the thing down!

So I uninstalled Constant Guard and things are ok now. How can they put some crap like this out there knowing full well it is fouling up everyone's systems? Maybe someone needs to sue?

Also, another hog is Google's Music Manager. While it is downloading or uploading it is IMPOSSIBLE to do ANYTHING else online.

last night I had to contend with another bad software. My sister's cell phone is a pantech and it requires proprietary software to move stuff off of it to the computer, and the suite is absolutely horrible, not one Microsoft standard observed.

Who ARE these coders, and are they just lazy, or crooks, or is it terrible management? Maybe if these coders were exposed for their crap, they might clean up their acts?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Why even use Constant Guard?

»www.tomshardware.com/news/micros···758.html

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Wow.

I only installed constant guard so that I could get Norton's on my system, the only way I know of to get it. I cannot afford to buy a security suite right now, and Microsoft's security is, IMHO, a conflict of interest issue.

People, read Kris's link, it's an eye opener. China's industry and government needs to get their shit together or the damned house of cards is going to collapse.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

That's why I don't buy prebuilts, or if I do, I ensure it is bare-bones OS (like the iBuyPower I got).

I don't have a problem with peace of mind running MSE 2.0 + MBAM Premium + SAS free, but YMMV.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to signmeuptoo

This is why decrapifier was created. I have few laptops but any I do get I immediately remove programs not needed or wanted.

Cheap laptops are cheap for a reason....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Thanks, rub it in.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

No 'rub in' intended. I used decrapifier and found it very useful.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to signmeuptoo

I've run MSE + AVG for years with zero issues.

I avoid Norton at all costs.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
reply to signmeuptoo

All of my laptops I buy a copy of Windows for, format, install.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to CylonRed

Telling someone that their 529 dollar steal is crap, that you are too good to buy a low priced product and that statement implying that they shouldn't buy anything unless it is expensive, what is that?

Sorry, but this laptop IS nice. I don't and won't have 1500 for a laptop that could be stolen, lost, or worse. A laptop that isn't out to impress chicks. A laptop that isn't meant to win penis measurements.

It's for school and utalitarian uses.

Lenovo is a decent brand, the thing has a good processor, a good amount of RAM, a large HD, it's a good product and crapping on it, and, well, me?

that IS what you did.

what if I walked up to you and said "uh, dood, you're wife is fugly!" You'd sock me in the face.

Your post is ill mannered, and you could at least admit it.
--

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

If I may be so bold as to explain for Cylon... laptops are cheap not so much because of the parts but the programs that come with them. Computer makers like Acer, etc are able to offer laptops cheaply because they get paid to have all those programs on it which helps keep the price down. Think of it like commercials on TV. Without them we'd be paying a lot more for it. I believe that was what he was driving at. I don't think he meant it personally.
--
At least we're #1 in something: »goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-···-cities/

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

That isn't how it was said. Also, this laptop didn't come with MOUNDS of software on it. A few things, certainly nothing major, I've seen plenty worse. Sorry, but trying to explain the comment by claiming that the meaning of the word is somehow miss appropriated into some nonsense meaning... No, sorry, I don't buy it.

And I can't afford to buy a system with included OS just to be stupid and buy a whole nother license, that is also nonsense.

But what DOES irritate me with Lenovo is no one can tell me what my model number is (they claim it is supposed to be a nine character value), and the reps have told me to look for it on the computer, in the BIOS, and elsewhere, and there is no such number, there IS a 5 character number. I am irritated with bad tech support, but even Lenovo has that problem, poorly trained none US people...
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

2 edits
reply to signmeuptoo

"Telling someone that their 529 dollar steal is crap, that you are too good to buy a low priced product and that statement implying that they shouldn't buy anything unless it is expensive, what is that?"

You are taking out to an extreme - I have bought a $500 laptop before - I immediately remove any unwanted software. On my mom's just over $500 Dell desktop 2 years ago I used decrapifier.

Cheaper laptops will have more stuff added on and less attention will be paid to how well it is coded - from any company. Just statements of fact - nothing more

I would not spend $1500 on a desktop much less a laptop so I would be in the same situation.

"And I can't afford to buy a system with included OS just to be stupid and buy a whole nother license, that is also nonsense."

Not sure what the above refers to - another OS license? Don't see any need for that. License for more AV? Use free ones and back that up with Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware with a good firewall.

As for my wife - I am sure others would find her 'fugly' (same for me) but that is not any of my concern.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

Most name brand builds come with the same crap. Just remove it. There are many free AV browse for threads in the security forum.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

All of you are so OT it isn't funny. The software that was a problem WAS NOT from the manufacturer, it was from Comcast. Jeez.

And thanks for insulting my wife, but that's fine, I love her and that is enough.

Thanks for getting personal, insulting my shopping acumen, and going so far OT that this thread is ruined. Mods please lock.
--

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

There are many free AV. Read the many threads in security forum. If you had previous knowledge of the Comcast software why use it?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to signmeuptoo

Before they do lock it generally the model number, etc is located where the battery pack is inserted.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Ok, thanks for that hint. I shut it down and pulled the battery. There is a red colored sticky with two alpha numeric values, but both are very long, like 12 characters, so those aren't model numbers, right? Because it is supposed to be a 9 character value...

What I suspect is that Lenovo recently changed the way they numer systems and workers are not aware of it, and neither are the websites. Hence, the 5 character model number IS the right one, but their site can't read such a number to recommend a battery. (The whole reason I want the number is so I can know how much an additional battery and maybe a charger would cost...
--

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

»shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont···s#sw1ABB
I may have missed something doesn't seem to ask for model number?
There are also other sources of batteries and adapters.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Dude, I already checked that, there is no battery model for mine, no 20150 there. The clearly are very disorganized and can't tell me what battery I need. Idiotic. Thanks for trying to help, but I already tried that page.

I can't find anywhere if mine is 2189 or 2589, not in BIOS, not on the lable, not on the shipping box, not with Belarc. This has me irritated...

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I have to say I haven't ran up against this kind of problem before finding the model and serial number. Checking this page it seems to have a few steps just to arrive at the model number.
--

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

The battery and charger should say what they are and find them that way worse comes to worse.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Yeah, problem is I can't read that tiny print, I ordered a magnefier visor off of ebay, and it should have arrived here by now and hasn't...

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Ok, good news: My magenfier arrived, a few days late, but it is here, and I read a number in very small print, an 8 digit number, and that one yielded a result on their site. Why must they make the print so damned tiny?

This PN is not in the BIOS or readable with software, and there is nothing on the website that says it.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Yeah, problem is I can't read that tiny print, I ordered a magnefier visor off of ebay, and it should have arrived here by now and hasn't...

control-mousewheel--problem solved.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Hah hah: Talking about reading the label on the bottom of the laptop, not text on the screen. I got the magnifier so I'm all set.