dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« UpgrayeddI'm Happy »
This is a sub-selection from I refuse...
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth

Re: I refuse...

I'm curious. Why refuse to go to cable? It almost has to be faster than what you have, assuming it is available.

hyphenated
@bellsouth.net

hyphenated

Anon

I tried our local 6Meg Cable and its 1-2 at best with latency about the same as your average 3G or dial up connection.

I would ask to show me a decent and reliable wireless service before trying to force it. Give them a trial, launch large scale and give them the first 3 months free. If you think it will work great and all that, then that wouldn't be a problem would it? Wireless is great for providers I bet, but it really sucks for end users, when you get down to it. Although I think it would be great for extremely rural areas (isnt this is what sat is for?) but please don't be mistaken and think wireless is a great solution for everyone. Mobile yes, its ideal/convenient, people are spoiled. Even at home. Aren't we starting see this smart home thing? How are smart homes going to work well in the future, not. I can't even get a decent 3G connection on the ipad/safari in most areas. With that wireless you'll be blasting so much rad at folks they'll all be choking and spitting and sputting in no time! Haven't we already paid for the wireline/POTS/DSL times over, give it to the government, maybe they can keep it around and help these folks out.

Disclaimer: this is just my rambling, thanks for hearing my rant/opinion.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

I'm curious. Why refuse to go to cable? It almost has to be faster than what you have, assuming it is available.

Some people still think cable is bad because it is "shared". I personally have never had any issues with cable in the two states I have lived in. In fact I have found that cable is less picky about line quality than DSL.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Charter. Enough said.

Tim

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by silbaco:

Some people still think cable is bad because it is "shared". I personally have never had any issues with cable in the two states I have lived in. In fact I have found that cable is less picky about line quality than DSL.

How good cable is largely depends on how good the design of the build out was and who lives around you. More older folks - potential for less problems with an ok design. The more young folks - the better the design needs to be - in general.

I hate TW with an absolute passion and will do almost anything not to go to them...
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to timcuth

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

said by silbaco:

Charter. Enough said.

Tim

Charter > than At&t dsl or U-verse. Nuff said.

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

1 recommendation

Tel to timcuth

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

said by silbaco:

Charter. Enough said.

Tim

Amen

hyphenated
@mycingular.net

hyphenated to Kearnstd

Anon

to Kearnstd
Yeh this head end or something is a little wishy washy but it works I guess :/ (most of the time, from what ive seen) $80 for "7/1" - didn't even try it. Even if Comcast bought them out and offered me 50/10 I would still keep my DSL 6/.5, at least a dual wan. Our DSL has slways been great around here. I'd really rather have some vdsl or fiber than cable co, any day.

Yeh cable still has issues half of the time, I've see a 50/10 running around 2 or 3 down at times and recently folks with trouble when it rains, imagine that. Cable is affected by these sort of things also.

Someone just get me s solid 10/10 with low latency that i can afford already

Good grief
« UpgrayeddI'm Happy »
This is a sub-selection from I refuse...