Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 edit

pende_tim to docchat

Premium Member

to docchat

Re: New Home Security System Advice

Prewire is a good idea, you just need to plan ahead.
If it were me, based on my wired alarm system, I would run wires to all the main floor top and bottom window sashes using 2 wire alarm cable. Also wire all entrance doors. Depending on the number of windows, logically group them so they can be "zoned". Even better, pair the top and bottom sashes in series and run home runs back to where you plan to place the control panel.
As for smokes, run 4 conductor UL rated fire alarm cables to 4" boxes in all the rooms you want to have smokes or rate of rise detectors (think kitchen area ). At a minimum: bedrooms, hall outside bedrooms, living room, kitchen, basement & attic. This run can be daisy chained as long as you make provisions for an end of line relay to monitor circuit.
If you have any large glass areas, plan for a "break glass" acoustic sensor as a home run. This can be a 4 wire device.
If you think you want interior motion as a second line of protection, think about a key hall way an place a box 7' or so from the floor.

Key pads are 4 wire devices and each needs it's own home run back to the main panel. Near a entry door(s) and in the master bedroom are good locations fpor these.

If you want an outside "bell" run a pair of wires to a spot under the soffit and drop in a box for termination.

Just to make sure the door and window wires are not lost in the walls, you may want to actually install the magnetic switches in the sills and frames before the sheet rock and trim are applied. Leave a little slack in case you need to pull the sensor out for replacement some day. These switches are not expensive and are easy to pop in.

Deciding on the panel location is probably the most important part of the job. Pick a spot that is easy for you to get to but not obvious to a bag guy.

There are many places that sell alarm panels and sensors. Wiring and programming is not complicated, but takes a plan and some concentration. I just replaced and programmed a Honeywell system in the spring after a lightning strike. It was not hard, just take you time and it will all be good.

There are also places, a lot less expensive than the big guys, that will do monitoring.

Good thing is, with your panel, you own it and can set it up the way you want and are free to change monitors if you are not happy with the service.

OH, one more piece of advice, mark all the wires at both ends and make a sketch of locations and wire numbers.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by pende_tim:

OH, one more piece of advice, mark all the wires at both ends and make a sketch take photographs/video of locations and wire numbers.

- Screws and nails will be used to install blinds and such...keep that in mind when running the wires.

- Put a small loose coil (like wrapped around a pencil) of extra wire in the stud space so that you have a bit of extra wire if you make an error (break the conductor during termination, for example)

- Ring out all the wires prior to closing the walls, and check again after the sheetrock is installed, prior to taping and texture.

- Secure the wires carefully, making sure to NOT stretch the wire taut or over staple. The wire should be reasonably snug under the staple but move easily if desired.

- Video ALL of the walls and ceiling the night before the walls get closed up. Make sure you have plenty of light, you go at an easy pace and you check the footage before leaving.

- Make a "buzz box" using a cheap piezoalarm and 6V battery. Works better than a meter if you are working alone.

Guess why I know all of these things...