SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to Streetlight

Re: [HD] FIOS Moving to MPEG-4 HD

said by Streetlight:

What I and a lot of other folks have commented on in these forums is the CC has been removing premium HD channels and adding channels that have advertising.

Yes that's exactly what I referring to in my post a few posts up, it's pretty ridiculous!

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Streetlight:

What I and a lot of other folks have commented on in these forums is the CC has been removing premium HD channels and adding channels that have advertising.

Yes that's exactly what I referring to in my post a few posts up, it's pretty ridiculous!

We're absolutely on the same page here. I think I missed your post, but I think I gave some more perspective on it.

In addition I have not been sure whether converting to MPEG4 delivery of content could be done with a software firmware update on older boxes or it needs completely new hardware. It seems from reading this thread that a System on a Chip (SoC) is required or at least the best way to accomplish this. Do the new X1 boxes have this built in? They're apparently testing them here in Colorado Springs, but I certainly haven't been approached. It also seems CC is handing them out to folks who have triple play, and I just have Cable TV and HSI.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
The Motorola DCX series, and I'd assume any box released within the past year or two, supports MPEG4 natively in hardware. It may be possible to add MPEG4 to older boxes, but it might require running in software, which may be too much for most. Maybe a non-DVR DCH could do it, but the extra overhead of DVR or older models would probably choke it.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA

4 edits
said by andyross:

The Motorola DCX series, and I'd assume any box released within the past year or two, supports MPEG4 natively in hardware. It may be possible to add MPEG4 to older boxes, but it might require running in software, which may be too much for most. Maybe a non-DVR DCH could do it, but the extra overhead of DVR or older models would probably choke it.

Yes as I mentioned a few posts back in this thread, anything Comcast calls an "RNG" decodes MPEG4 (this includes the Moto DCX series). And the new (not being used by Comcast just yet) HD DTAs do too.
»Re: [HD] FIOS Moving to MPEG-4 HD

And no, there is no way to add it the older boxes, the boxes have very limited CPU resources as-is, they rely on dedicated video decoding silicon. So they're stuck the way they are.
That's why Comcast made the "RNG" specifications to tell their cable box vendors (Cisco, Motorola and Pace) what minimum specs for future proofing must be. All the boxes that are labeled RNG by Comcast will eventually get the X1 Guide software ported over to them.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA

4 edits
reply to Streetlight
said by Streetlight:

It seems from reading this thread that a System on a Chip (SoC) is required or at least the best way to accomplish this. Do the new X1 boxes have this built in? They're apparently testing them here in Colorado Springs, but I certainly haven't been approached. It also seems CC is handing them out to folks who have triple play, and I just have Cable TV and HSI.

FYI: SoC is a term for a highly integrated processing solution, it combines what in years past would be separate chips to make a system (in this case a cable box). Hence the term system on a chip.

For example: the set-top box oriented SoC solutions from Broadcom integrate: a low power general purpose CPU, video and audio processing/decoding, a SATA interface for a hard drive (DVR), and all common audio/video output circuitry (HDMI, component, composite, stereo audio), and more.

And yes the X1 DVR has state-of-the-art stuff under the hood.

Comcast isn't deploying anything new that does not decode MPEG4. All the semiconductor companies making the chips (SoC) that power the cable boxes all have MPEG4 decoding built-in now.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

2 edits
reply to Streetlight
I agree that the Cisco and Motorola RNG and DCX set top equipment support MPEG4 codec. I'm curious if TiVo supports MPEG4 as well and if it is capable of supporting the full range of its HD feed or if it’s limited. Also wondering why H264 isn't being used.
I have no problem with older equipment being mandatorily replaced to support MPEG4; after all it's the provider's property so for a customer it's a simple swap without having to purchase anything. Hooray for a free upgrade.